Postings by Baja

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Service & Therapy Dogs > emotional support sevice dog
Baja

You're like two- sides of the- same coin

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 4:21pm PST 
Maddox, a service dog does is not required to perform at least 3 tasks, it is only 1 that is required.
OP, you just posted that you want to train your lab mix puppy to be a service dog but you don't seem to have done any research on what the difference between an emotional support animal and a service dog is or if you qualify to have one. In order to qualify to have a service dog you have to be disabled under the ADA. If you meet the definition of that then you can think of tasks to train your dog that will help mitigate your disability. If you do not have a disability then your dog would not qualify as an emotional support animal. I hope this helps.

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/dduspetsandhousinglaws. htm

http://www.ada.gov/pubs/adastatute08.htm
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Iris vom Zauberberg, Nov 1 1:00 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Issues I may run into with a tripod SD?
Baja

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 7:08pm PST 
Sadie the point that is being made is not that the dog couldnt be a service dog but that it is not in the best interest of the dog due to the health issues that the dog WILL have as well as the fact that the public will likely think that owner is being cruel to the dog for making it hop around all day. You have to consider that the dog is 1 1/2 years old. It will take 2 years to train the dog. That means the dog will be 3 1/2 by the time the dog is at full service dog status. I would guess joint issues will set in around 6-8 years old due to the added wear and tear of only having 3 legs. Assuming this dog was used as a service dog it will likely cause those joint problems 1 year earlier if not more. That means the dog could only work for about 1 1/2-3 1/2 years. Which is about the time to start training a successor dog. My numbers may be off a bit but thats the point that I am trying to make, not that the dog couldnt be a service dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 8:08 am

Baja

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 5:20pm PST 
I completely agree with everything that Voltaire said. When owner training a service dog you have to remember that even with proper breeding and a great trainer on your side only about 50% of dogs have what it takes to become a service dog, possibly less im not sure of the exact number. I personally would never use a 3 legged dog as a service dog because I feel that it would be cruel to have the dog work all day long knowing that doing so would cause arthritis and joint issues to occur earlier in the dogs life. Perhaps you should allow him to life a long and happy life just being a dog as opposed to a service dog for his health and safety.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 8:08 am

Behavior & Training > Stop a puppy from whining for attention?

Baja

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 12:41pm PST 
So my puppy has started whining for attention after he saw my roommates dogs do it. I have tried ignoring the behavior and turning away from him when he does it. It doesnt work, yes I have tried this for over a week and the whining did not stop. I have tried rewarding for when he is quiet. He still does it. Any ideas on how to get rid of this behavior?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Smokey, Oct 26 7:10 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > "he's a service dog"...

Baja

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 7:07pm PST 
I hear the "oh what organization are you training your puppy for?" Sometimes when I just dont want to deal with the disability questions I say im not training for an organization but there is a guide dogs for the blind group here. Usually it deters them enough from asking whats wrong with me and why I need a service dog. I am working on being more open about my disability but sometimes I just dont want to deal with all the questions and would rather distract them. It does get somewhat frustrating when a lot of people ask or assume that you couldnt possibly be training the dog for yourself.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 1 3:02 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > "he's a service dog"...
Baja

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 5:46pm PST 
I hear the "oh what organization are you training your puppy for?" Sometimes when I just dont want to deal with the disability questions I say im not training for an organization but there is a guide dogs for the blind group here. Usually it deters them enough from asking whats wrong with me and why I need a service dog. I am working on being more open about my disability but sometimes I just dont want to deal with all the questions and would rather distract them. It does get somewhat frustrating when a lot of people ask or assume that you couldnt possibly be training the dog for yourself.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 1 3:02 pm

Baja

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 2:34pm PST 
In all honesty I don't think I could take a 3 legged SD seriously and I am a service dog user. Some people make comments already that 4 legged dogs should not be used by people who are mentally ill at all and people will likely give you far more issues since you are having a 3 legged dog hop everywhere with you. If I had to guess most people are going to think well if you are disabled then how is a dog with issues going to be able to help you. Not only that but most people will likely think it is cruel to make a dog hop around all day with you.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 8:08 am

Dog Health > Need help

Baja

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 4:15pm PST 
I have no idea what it could be, however I will recommend putting the pup on a diet of boiled chicken and rice and see how it goes. This is what the vet recommended after one of my dogs had gastritis. It is easy on the stomach and hopefully the pup will be able to keep it down. You can always go to another vet and get a second opinion or at least see what they would recommend doing. Hope this helps and that your pup gets better soon.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Taggert, Oct 28 1:54 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Feeling awkward with my service dog?

Baja

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 8:43pm PST 
There is no need to register your dog with an organization unless your dog came from one. If you registered your dog with an online registry and paid money, most of them are just scams so be aware of that. Also for future reference, DO NOT show your doctors note to gain admittance to any businesses. They cannot ask for it and if you do show it then it may make it harder for future teams to gain access. If your county wants you to get a tag then I would recommend it. In California if your dog is a service dog and you get a tag for them then they also get a free license. Feel free to send me a pawmail if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them, I know how confusing and overwhelming it can be.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Apr 17 12:17 am

Dog Health > how long before a puppy can go an entire night without going out
Baja

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 9:48am PST 
I just got my puppy yesterday and he made it through a 6 hour flight and car ride home without going in his crate. He made it through the night without needing to go out or having an accident in his crate. He is currently asleep so I'm not going to wake him and see how long he can hold out but so far he has made it 9 hours on his own and he is only 8 weeks old.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Baja, Sep 25 9:48 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.