Postings by Baxter

GO!

Grooming > How to Brush a Sheltie?

Baxter

I Luv FOOD!!

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 4:08pm PST 
I've had shelties for over 30 years and was lucky enough to get a brushing lesson from the breeder of my first Sheltie. Do not brush a dry coat. There are grooming sprays available but I just mist my guys with plain water. I line brush with a slicker for most of it but use a comb in the area right behind the ears. The ear hair will mat very quickly. When I have them thoroughly brushed I use a pin brush to do an all over finish on the outer coat.

If you are not experienced in brushing Shelties I would not use a Furminator. If not used properly it will damage and break the long, outer coat. I would recommend an undercoat rake over the Furminator and actually the only time you'd really need either is when they blow coat once or twice a year. Once you get the hang of line brushing you should be able to get the job done fairly quickly and shouldn't have to brush more than once a week unless it's blowing season.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Nov 27 6:56 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.