GO!

Raw Food Diet > New to raw, I'd love some perspective.

Gimli

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 10:15am PST 
Thanks. His meals have been fairly small, nothing larger than chicken quarters a day. I was wondering about feeding him twice a day to see if that helps, and I think I might give it a try. I've also been cutting off fat to help him adjust, so we're doing well there. I guess he just needs a little more time is all!

I didn't even think to check if the turkey was enhanced. I carefully check all the chicken, I should have known anything could be enhanced. red face We'll keep taking it slow until his gut is up to 100%.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 10 10:15 am

Raw Food Diet > New to raw, I'd love some perspective.
Gimli

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 6:56pm PST 
I started Gimli on raw in August, and was really excited. He had a few soft poops, and then he got on board with chicken and we were seeing small, firm stools, and the outlook was good. After three weeks, I decided to try to add a small amount of turkey.

He's always had a really sensitive tummy toward even kibble in the few months that I've had him (no parasites, but I might ask for another fecal test anyway). I probably did waaaay too much turkey for the first taste of a new raw protein - maybe 4 ounces of meat integrated with his normal meal. He had a squirty butt for a week and I moved him back to just chicken, but in the three weeks since we've had to move ever so slowly. It's almost like I had to start him on raw all over again. His poo is still kinda large, smelly, and squishy, but definitely improving.

He eats once a day. I haven't been weighing his food, but he weighs 50 lbs so I was shooting for a pound a day and he has bulked up some in his shoulders. With his sensitive stomach, bone content has been pretty high. He's only getting chicken since the stomach problems. I dehydrate and chop up livers and gizzards as treats. I'm giving him a daily probiotic to try and help him out.

I'm worried about feeding him exclusively chicken for too long, and I also feel bad that he's had weeks of slowly recovering from that one stomach upset. Is this normal? Does his digestive system just need to take a break? Are some dogs just really sensitive to dietary changes on raw?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 10 10:15 am

Raw Food Diet > Preparing to feed a raw diet soon, and worried about Asian Grocery stores!

Gimli

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 5:52pm PST 
All right, thanks. smile I figured that the food sold in stores would be human grade and okay to feed my dogs too, and at least it would be subject to stricter import rules than the meat that goes into commercial dog food. Just wanted to check. You all seem to have had great results and I tend to over-worry things.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 4 7:56 pm

Raw Food Diet > Preparing to feed a raw diet soon, and worried about Asian Grocery stores!

Gimli

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 11:10am PST 
Hey all! I've been perusing the forums here for a while and reading everyone's experiences with the raw diet. I noticed a lot of people seeem to use Asian grocery stores to get meat, and there is an abundance of those near where I live. But I'm worried--one of the main reasons I want to switch off of kibble is because I can't guarantee where the ingredients going into the kibble are coming from. China is a huge, problematic, and to me scary source of dog kibble meats.

So, are Asian groceries okay? Are their meats sourced state-side and nothing to worry about? Or should I look elsewhere?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 4 7:56 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.