Postings by DustyCoal

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Get Well Soon > Is there a place for donations?
DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 5:39am PST 
I am wondering if there is a section here we can post for needing donations for dogs that need surgery? I joined up with giveforward.com but we have to do all the promotions to get donations. Thanks for your help.

Brenda
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scruffy (R.I.P.), Feb 19 7:48 am

Raw Food Diet > Raw Pork Rib Bones?
DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 11:35am PST 
I can't get my boys to eat venison unless I sear it first, same with rabbit.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Meridian, Jul 14 7:05 pm

Raw Food Diet > Feeding Rabbit and Bones

DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 4:02am PST 
Meridian, Your story has me laughing and a smiling. I got this visual of your fur kids... "Mom turned her back, hey, can I trade you my chicken for your rabbit?, I just been craving for some of that rabbit but moms always watching!"

Sometimes my dogs wont eat certain things in front of me... I have to act like I have gone about my business and Im not paying attention. For some reason in their minds, I think they might think they are doing something wrong that you won't approve of even though you offered it. Dogs want so hard to please us. They are so awesome. I'm a total dog lover. Cats and other pets, not so much but dogs are just amazing creatures.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Feb 22 12:14 pm

DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 7:21am PST 
In regards to raw rabbit meat and worms, according to my vet, the only thing we need to worry about is getting tape worms and that comes from fleas on the rabbit fur. My vet says if I am not feeding fur and the whole carcass is gutted and clean, she said the risk of worms is low. But I still have fecal testing every 3 months or sooner if I see worms or suspect. I deal with 2 local vets in my area and both do not have anything negative to say about feeding raw. They have been great in offering help and suggestions so far. I think a lot of people in my area are feeding raw because Im in a farming and hunting community.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Feb 22 12:14 pm

DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 5:09pm PST 
"What I sould ask you is - were these rabbits more or less "wild"?"

The rabbits are domesticated free ranged so I would put them into the wild game classification when speaking of worms. I have to de-worm every few months as it is, the dogs are always catching mice plus we live in the woods in a rural area so there are always other sources they pick up worms from. I haven't offered any rabbits bone just yet, I needed some feedback on that first. They won't eat the rabbit raw yet either, i have to sear the meat. I do the butchering here so I just cut it up and filet the meat right away. But as they get used to eating rabbit I will slowly sear less and ass bones. Before ya know it, they will be eating right off the carcass. Thanks for all the feedback!

Bren
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Feb 22 12:14 pm

DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 5:33am PST 
I found a resource yesterday that will give me free rabbits, as many as I can catch because they have turned to free ranging the rabbits when the couple could not find someone to come in and take care of the rabbits when they were caged and the couple went on vacation. Since then, their rabbit population exploded.

We were able to catch 3 rabbits yesterday in which I was over excited to butcher my first ever rabbit after watching a zillion youtube videos. I did a good clean job! Butchering rabbits is much easier than chickens! Just my thought there. Anyway, when I had the rabbit cleaned out, I brought it in the house to do a final wash in the kitchen sink and my boys were there watching every move mom made with that new kind of meat. They were so curious! I sliced a little sample for them, from the leg area and offered it to my boys, raw of course, and much to my surprise, they wouldn't eat it! They also will not eat deer meat. I guess my dogs are not much for wild game.... not YET anyway. I might have to sear the meat a little to get them started.

I have read where people give their dogs whole rabbit carcass. However, I don't offer my dogs carcass. When they eat outside its usually something they can eat without leaving scraps behind and eat within minutes. They normally eat in the house on a plate.

Here is my question, are there any bones the boys can eat from the rabbit?

The rabbit bones seem smaller and sharper, thinner than chicken bones and feeding my dogs bones gives me anxiety every time. I am starting to relax some with chicken leg and thigh bones. But Id rather get some feedback on this before I offer any of the rabbit bones.

You guys are wonderful in your advice by the way. I have grown and learned a lot here on this forum. Both me and my boys thank you all!

Bren
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Feb 22 12:14 pm

DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 8:20pm PST 
This was their first time crunching up pork rib bones. I kind of cringed when Dusty coughed while eating. I have a fear inside that something bad might happen to one of my boys. I love them so much I wonder if im doing the right thing for them. I down loaded the feeding guide. Good info there. Now Im looking to make sure they are balanced in weekly nutrition.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Meridian, Jul 14 7:05 pm

DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 7:42am PST 
Thanks much for your response.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Meridian, Jul 14 7:05 pm

DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 4:48am PST 
How would I feed my labs raw pork ribs? Its not the baby ribs, just regular rack of ribs. Can they chew up these kinds of bones?
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Meridian, Jul 14 7:05 pm

Raw Food Diet > A dog that will not eat any meat, or dog food for that fact
DustyCoal

glad we have- each other

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 3:18am PST 
I have never seen such a dog until I met my sisters dog. My sister is fit to be tied. William won't eat meat, raw or cooked. He won't touch any kind of dog food either. Fruits, veggies, pasta, cooked eggs, rice and bread, he will gobble down. From puppy on. He will be 3 years old soon. William is Coon Hound and Beagle mix. Have anyone else ever experienced this?

Brenda
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Vance CGC, Jun 26 12:36 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.