Postings by Budro

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Behavior & Training > Help Needed! My Dog is so Aggressive!!!
Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 3:23am PST 
We're going to need more information before we're able to be of any help. Is Tommy aggressive towards people or dogs? Could you describe the behavior? What is going on when he behaves aggressively? Does he have specific triggers that make him behave aggressively? Is he guarding his food, a toy, or a favorite spot? Has he been thoroughly examined by a vet? Are there other pets in the house? How old is he? Do you know his past history? How long have you had him?

I hope you're able to help your dog. hug

ETA: If Tommy is truly aggressive, I would highly recommend you hire a behaviorist, if that is possible.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Smokey, Feb 16 5:23 pm

Dog Health > Anyone have experience with dog vomitting blood?
Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 6:01pm PST 
I have. Two years ago, my dog Budro, hadn't been feeling well all morning(listless) and I was growing concerned. I had the dogs out to potty and he just wanted to stay under the porch. I finally coaxed him out and he promptly started throwing up blood. I immediately took him to the vet, who did all sorts of tests and finally determined he was suffering from both kidney and liver failure. The vet believed she could save his life and immediately put him on fluids and some medication I have now forgotten the name of. I said good-bye and left him in the hands of the vet. The next morning they called me and said he had passed away during the night. cry

Vomiting blood is serious, the dog needs to see a vet ASAP. hug

ETA: glad the dog was able to see a vet, hopefully it wasn't anything life-threatening serious.. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Feb 17 11:35 pm

Behavior & Training > How NOT to handle resource guarding

Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 9:52pm PST 
I wasn't going to respond because of what a flame war these posts generally turn into, but here I am anyway...red face

I have to say that when I first started getting serious about dog training and learning about dog behavior, I did watch about three seasons worth of the dog whisperer, read his books, and learned a LOT. This was back after I first got Budro and had to learn to be a responsible dog owner, especially after Budro became DA. However, I didn't take into account that every dog has different personalities and such and some of the training techniques Ceaser uses were too much for Budro, so I also learned what made Budro worse and what helped. It was a time of a lot of mistakes, but also a time of learning and growing. Watching Ceaser and reading his books did indeed help me become a better, responsible dog owner, but today I only use a few of his methods. I use training methods from several different trainers. I use what I believe will work for my dog, and I adjust as I go along. I do not and will not blindly follow one trainer or training method.

I thought in the first video that Ceaser was a little harsh, too in-your-face, but that's his method and I don't agree with training a resource guarder in that way. However, he changed his method somewhere along the way obviously since in the second video Holly was a lot more comfortable around him. I would have really liked to see how he changed. I don't know if they show that on the complete episode or not. thinking

A few things did bother me about the second video. One, Junior got into trouble for playing and then Ceaser started playing with the dogs while Junior was off by himself. But, I thought about that one and I figure Junior wasn't allowed to initiate the play, Ceaser was so he could control the situation. He initiated the play, then brought it down in a controlled manner. Junior had left to play with his ball by himself before Ceaser had initiated the play, so of course he wasn't involved. The Wheaten did look very uncomfortable but I don't know why he was there, possibly he was learning how to interact properly with people and dogs and was still new at it. Although it did make me sad to see him all huddled up like that. frown

Two, I did feel that when the Malamute? knocked the food over and Holly wasn't allowed to join in that he was teaching her that she should give in to bullies and let them have her food. However, Ceaser might know that she would probably start a fight over the spilled food. shrug

Well, I know why I don't ever want to be a professional dog trainer, no matter how I train, there will always be situations that appear questionable to others. And of course there will always be situations that turned out poorly because a particular training method didn't fit a particular dog.

I'm not going to defend Caesar's every move, but I'm not going to demonize him either. His tv show helped me learn about dog behaviors, basically opened my eyes so to speak. And while I don't use/agree with the majority of his methods, he's the one who got me started on the path of responsible dog ownership.

Sorry for rambling... red face
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Sep 19 1:06 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Unfair

Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 5:41pm PST 
While I do agree with both Nikki and Toto, I do have to say that there are exceptions to that. In my case with Bernie, the St. Bernard mix that I found in the street. I did everything to find his owners but couldn't. The shelter was overflowing and I didn't want to surrender him to animal control. So, even though I didn't have enough money to properly care for such a large dog, I kept him. I did end up getting him his proper vaccines and did have him neutered right before he went to his new home, but it was over time after I could scrape the money together to get certain things done.

I have indeed made mistakes with taking in animals when I knew I shouldn't because of finances, but being looked down on and judged for that does hurt, and that's where I agree with Angel. Sure, some folks never seem to learn and have no business taking in any more animals, but there are others who just need guidance and good, friendly advice instead of judgement.

Eta: I'm posting with Budro because Bernie's picture is on his page big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 15 5:41 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Funny story...

Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 6:21pm PST 
Here's your Bu, Twister wink

That does seem to be a common thread in how we aquired most of our pets. Generally unwanted by their previous owners. Each of them had their issues, but it wasn't a good reason to dump them. confused

To the OP, good luck with Max! I'm sure he's much better off now! way to go

ETA: Oh, and I'm gonna agree with Lucille on this, get the exchange in writing if possible. I'd never thought of that before, but it's a good idea.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Angel, Aug 3 10:54 pm

Who's Feeling Silly? > Which breed would you own? Game
Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 9:13pm PST 
Beagle

Afghan Hound or Great Dane?
[notify]
» There has since been 74 posts. Last posting by Twister, Jul 2 9:34 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > How small can German Shepherds be?

Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 4:24pm PST 
Thanks everybody! wave

I checked the dwarfism link, but it doesn't work, so I googled dwarfism in German Shepherds. Based on what I read and the pictures, the GSD I saw was just small, not a dwarf. I believe his growth was stunted due to poor nutrition, plus he may have been on the smaller end of GSD's to begin with. thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Budro, Jun 20 4:24 pm

Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 3:12am PST 
Onyx - thanks for the chart, it was helpful. way to go

Tiller- Thanks for all the info, my mom liked how you described the Rough Collie. So far, it seems that this breed matches us very well, probably a bit better than a German Shepherd would have been. wink

I still haven't named her, but here she is in her new home!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Budro, Jun 20 4:24 pm

Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 9:33am PST 
That's a lot of collies! laugh out loud She's a Rough Collie, I keep forgetting to add "Rough" in front, that's something I'll have to get used to doing. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Budro, Jun 20 4:24 pm

Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 8:07am PST 
Tiller I do believe that's the shortest description I've ever seen you give about a breed! shock Absolutely nothing else to add, huh? laugh out loud wink
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Budro, Jun 20 4:24 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.