Postings by Savannah (In Memory)

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Dog Health > Slipping Patella, price differences for surgery
Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Thu Jun 5, '14 12:57pm PST 
I have noticed the same thing at the vets around here, especially for routine surgeries like dentals and spay/neuter. If you ask for a detailed breakdown of the cost, you might find that one vet includes preop bloodwork, IV drip and monitoring during surgery, post-surgery meds, etc in the cost, whereas for another vet those would be optional add-ons. Of course some vets just have higher overhead and charge higher prices. I have one vet that is highly trusted but charges more that I use for most services, and another lower-cost, good but very busy vet that I will use for uncomplicated routine services like dentals or HW tests.

So in a nutshell, yes, much like in human medicine, costs vary wildly and are not necessarily an indicator of quality.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Cocoa Loco, Jun 6 3:56 am

Dog Health > Waterproof nonskid crate mats?
Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '14 3:12pm PST 
I second what Vance said. I have found the chenille/yarn type bath mats hold up better to frequent washing than the carpet kind (I used to do laundry at the SPCA). I have also seen a new highly absorbent microfiber mat at Petco, it's meant to be used as a doormat for muddy paws. It seemed pricey, though, I think it was $30. Or, you could try what we used to do for Savannah when she was pukey, we would layer five towels and just peel one off each time she threw up.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scruffy (R.I.P.), Mar 6 4:09 pm

Food & Nutrition > Best way to store kibble?

Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:47am PST 
I keep kibble in it's original bag stored inside a plastic airtight container. The container is clear and rectangular and fits a 15 lb bag perfectly. I have seen similar ones at the big box pet stores, feed stores and even Ross, in various sizes. I have a smaller plastic container with a ziploc bag inside it that I use to store a week's worth at a time, which is easier to dispense out of (also use it for travel). I make sure I always squeeze all the air out of the bags and keep the containers in the pantry (cool and dark). Have never had problems with it getting stale or bugs. I read somewhere that storing kibble in the original bag is best because the act of pouring it into another container exposes it to a lot of air, which can oxidize the EFAs and minerals. If I got a great deal on a ripped bag I would probably duct tape the rip and freeze the bag for 24 hours in case there were any bugs, and then store it in a plastic airtight container. i would want to use it up pretty quickly though. HTH.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Rest in Paradise Voltaire. 1/1, Feb 18 2:08 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > AMERICAN BULL DOG , IT IT THE RIGHT BREED FOR ME?

Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 6:59am PST 
In my opinion that is a long time to leave a dog alone, even an adult dog. Could some dogs do OK? Sure, but it would be the exception, and still not the ideal situation. Dogs are pack animals and need mental and physical stimulation or they tend to act out in destructive ways. Personally I would not consider getting a dog in that situation unless I could a) come home at lunch and be able to take off work in case of an emergency (some employers are not very flexible when it comes to caring for pets); b) have a friend, neighbor or pet walker come during the day; and/or c) bring the dog to a play group or to my job during the day. If there is an American Bulldog breed rescue group in your area they are a great resource for info about the breed, and they will be really honest with you as to whether your situation would be doable or not.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Clyde, Feb 8 4:40 pm

Dog Health > Small white thing sticking out of shoulder

Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 6:10am PST 
Another possibility, is Chewy microchipped? Because it is not unheard of for a microchip to migrate or even work it's way out of the skin, and they are small rice-like objects. Doesn't really explain the second lump, though. Keep us posted.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Chewy, Feb 8 8:35 pm

Dog Health > swollen, bothersome tail?
Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 6:03am PST 
There are so many possibilities of what it could be: an insect bite, a splinter, an animal bite or scratch, a foxtail, beginning of an abcess, localized allergic reaction, possibly the anal gland even though it is above that area, and so on. If it were me I would keep an eye on it and hope that it subsides in the next day or so, if not a vet check would be in order. A photo would be helpful, could someone help you with a distraction while you take one?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Tessie, Feb 11 12:39 pm

Dog Health > Peeing

Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 4:28pm PST 
Oops, forgot to add, it could also be submissive urination if it happens during training or with certain people. Again it usually lessens with time and when you build your dog'sconfidence.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Savannah (In Memory), Feb 7 4:28 pm

Dog Health > Peeing

Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 4:26pm PST 
My MIL's dog had that, I think it is called excitement incontinence? Anyway, the best thing to do is try to keep greetings very calm, which is good to do anyway to train your dog to do polite greetings. My understanding is that many dogs grow out of it as the muscles strengthen. My MIL's dog, which was a female, never did but it lessened substantially with time.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Savannah (In Memory), Feb 7 4:28 pm

Dog Health > Nightmares or vivid dreams in 11-year old dog

Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 7:33am PST 
My dog has done that since I've had her whenever she is in a deep sleep. We say she is chasing squirrels, her favorite waking pasttime. The first time she did it I thought she was having a seizure! We quickly learned it was normal for her. She will paddle her legs, rotate her ears (we call it Daggit ears, old Battlestar Galactica reference), do full body twitching and even a funny little bark where she puffs out her cheeks. It does wake us up sometimes but it is so adorable we don't mind. Sometimes she wakes up startled and we comfort her and she goes right back to sleep. We know when she is doing it she is getting good, deep, restful sleep since she won't do it when she is ailing. I suspect your dog is sleeping deeper as a senior and it is nothing to be overly concerned about. If you are worried, try filming it to show to your vet.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by "Gunner" Da Big Boy Angel, Feb 10 7:59 pm

Dog Health > Pup Falls When Trying to Change Direction
Savannah (In- Memory)

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 8:21am PST 
That doesn't sound like normal puppy clumsiness, If I were you I would follow my instincts and get it checked out, just to be safe. A vet can do a hands-on exam to check for specific areas of pain, weakness, developmental problems, etc.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 17 12:45 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.