GO!

Dogs & Travel > Dog owners beware traveling within the Pomona, CA area

Jake

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 12:59pm PST 
While in Pomona, CA our show dog Jake was taken from the back of our pickup when we left for less than 2 hours. He had food, water, carpet to lay on, insulated shelter, moderate temp of 70 degrees, on a leash long enough so he could get shelter but short enough so he could not get in trouble and hang himself.

The Inland Empire SPCA took Jake and injured him severely in the sinus area. This injury caused severe swelling of the sinus cavity and capillary vessels within the sinus area. he then was exposed to spinal meningitis while in their custody for less than 3 hours.

When we went to pick up Jake the supervisor dropped all charges and fees. An error in judgement. OK, OK, I understand it was an error. However, when any animal is picked up I would expect that animal would at least receive as good or better treatment when in SPCA custody.

After numerous X-rays, saliva, urine, blood, and spinal tap we found out he had contacted spinal meningitis while in their custody. Jake will never be in the show ring again because probably permanent brain damage from being in SPCA custody.

Our vet said it was outrageous the damage that was done to Jake's sinus cavity by untrained pickup drivers.

Jake was on an IV for over 30 hours and there were moments we thought we had lost him. He is still on antibiotics after a month.

Hopefully moderators won't dump this post. Animal lovers in Pomona, CA need to be aware of this SPCA and their procedures.

When my wife picked up Jake she almost vomited from the stench of the filthy conditions at that SPCA facility.

When we
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 3:20 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.