GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > Terrible anxiety
Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Tue Dec 17, '13 9:12am PST 
Thank you for the response!
Yes, she does have a spot in the house that she likes to go to - she either goes under my bed or lays on my bed. Last night I found her on the bed sound asleep, so she must feel comfortable there (plus I don't think she can hear the neighbor kids as well there.) I tried ignoring her panting and pacing, so she must've just gone in there and fell asleep.
I'm hoping that if I ignore the behavior, she'll see that she's not going to get attention and maybe this will work. I tried reassuring her everything was ok - but that seemed to make things worse. Sometimes it's hard to ignore, but i'm going to have to keep it up I think.
Thanks again - I'll update more when we get the thundershirt - it should be delivered today or tomorrow.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 17 11:10 am

Behavior & Training > Terrible anxiety
Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 5:52pm PST 
I posted last month about my 2.5 year old Shih-Tzu/Sheltie mix and her anxiety issues.
After a trip to the vet and some bloodwork, we found out that she had elevated white blood cells (27,000). After two rounds of antibiotics the latest blood draw (last Monday - Dec. 9th) showed the infection was gone and everything was back to normal. Except the pacing and panting and hiding. I've determined that she's reacting to my upstairs neighbors (the kids are jumping and running) and just loud noises in general. From the advice from the vet she's on 1/2 of a 10 mg Amitriptyline pill (1.5 pills made her legs weak). Shes been on this for 1 full week. I've really not seen much improvement. He told me to try a calming collar as well so I went out Sunday and bought a sentry calming collar for her, which does seem to take the edge off a little. I also ordered her a thundershirt which should be delivered this week. Does anyone have any experience with thundershirts? Can she wear this all the time? I was hoping the amitriptyline would work faster, but it hasn't. Should I give it more than a week or should I be calling the vet to see if he can give her something else?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 17 11:10 am

Dog Health > Dealing with anxiety

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 1:51pm PST 
I posted last month about my 2.5 year old Shih-Tzu/Sheltie mix and her anxiety issues.
After a trip to the vet and some bloodwork, we found out that she had elevated white blood cells (27,000). After two rounds of antibiotics the latest blood draw (last Monday - Dec. 9th) showed the infection was gone and everything was back to normal. Except the pacing and panting and hiding. I've determined that she's reacting to my upstairs neighbors (the kids are jumping and running) and just loud noises in general. From the advice from the vet she's on 1/2 of a 10 mg Amitriptyline pill (1.5 pills made her legs weak). Shes been on this for 1 full week. I've really not seen much improvement. He told me to try a calming collar as well so I went out Sunday and bought a sentry calming collar for her, which does seem to take the edge off a little. I also ordered her a thundershirt which should be delivered this week. Does anyone have any experience with thundershirts? Can she wear this all the time? I was hoping the amitriptyline would work faster, but it hasn't. Should I give it more than a week or should I be calling the vet to see if he can give her something else?
Any advise on helping a dog with anxiety issues would be greatly appreciated
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Penny, Dec 16 1:51 pm

Dog Health > Panting, hiding and needy. What's up?

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 6:29am PST 
I know it sounds silly, but I'm happy that it's 'something' too - I hope the antibiotics take care of everything and she's back to her happy self in no time. I was really sad thinking that she was so anxious and nervous.
[notify]
» There has since been -2 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 19 3:59 pm

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 6:23pm PST 
Well, I just heard back from the vet on Penny's bloodwork and he said she has an infection. Her white blood cell count was 27,000, normal is 17,000. He told me to stop the amitriptyline and come in in the morning to pick up an antibiotic. He thought for sure it was behavioral as there was nothing obvious and she hasn't run a fever at all (I've been checking her everyday.)
Thanks again for the support and advice. I'm so so happy I decided to take her in to get checked out!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 19 3:59 pm

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 8:57am PST 
Thank you again for all of the replies. She seems to be doing a tiny bit better. She laid with me on on the couch last night (but hid her head under the blanket). She seems pretty sleepy too - I'm guessing its a side effect of the amitriptyline? and has a little diarrhea. I'm waiting on the vet today to hear what the results of her blood work are.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 19 3:59 pm

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 10:45am PST 
Thank you for the replies. I don't necessarily want to keep her on meds, but I do want to see how they help her. After I get the blood results back, I will assess the future with the vet. I will also look in to a trainer. I've never experienced this with a dog, so I just don't know what to do/how to handle it, so I rally appreciate all of you comments. Also, the photo of her was from the first day I got her, so she probably was very stressed. I have noticed that her breath was stinky on Friday when she was panting so much.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 19 3:59 pm

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 10:20am PST 
Thank you for the response. this isn't necessarily a new behavior, she's always been skittish if someone is loud (watching sports, or the kids upstairs being loud or jumping). The panting and shivering are new behaviors. (But seem to have stopped now). This specific event of hiding has been going on for about 1-2 weeks. The panting and shivering we're just for a night and a morning,
Nothing has changed in her environment, she's still barking at stuff she barks at and still loves her walks, it's just that she goes straight under the bed when we get home. She'll come out every 20 minutes or so to see what's going on, but that's it.
I also should add that when I took her to the vet yeasterday she hid under the chair shaking.... In the past she would be sniffing other dogs and barking at everyone walking though the door! So, that's odd as wel ... The vet even noticed how odd that was for her.
I hope it's just anxiety and nothing serious, but I also hope she can get over this with some melds and some behavior modification,
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 19 3:59 pm

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 5:32am PST 
Bump
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 19 3:59 pm

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Sat Nov 16, '13 6:11pm PST 
So my 2.5 yr old dog Penny has been acting very strange the last few days. She's very timid if you raise your voice she runs and hides under a bed. For example, while watching football last weekend, we got excited and a little loud, and she's been hiding since then.

She seems to be ok during the day, but the evenings she wants to either hide or be so close to me she's practically in my face or on my head! . Last night she was panting and shivering too. THE Panting went on for about 2 hours. Once we went to bed, the panting stopped and she slept through the night. She's eating and drinking fine, still loving to go on walks, the panting is just so odd.

I got her in to the vet this afternoon and he did a full exam on her and said there was nothing obvious going on and she did not seem to be in any pain. He took blood and will run a full panel and I should have the results on Monday. He gave me some amitriptyline for her for the weekend as he thinks she might have some anxiety/sound sensitivity issues. (She also seems bothered by the loud kids that live above us). I gave her the first dose when we got home(15mg), the panting has stopped, but she's still hiding under the bed. She ate dinner and we just got back from a walk and she was fine and alert.
Does anyone have any experience with anxiety and dogs? The vet said he can't imagine that anything on the blood panel would come back off because she's overall a very healthy and young dog.
I feel bad for her because she's missing out on stuff because she's hiding all the time!
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 19 3:59 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.