Postings by Sammie

GO!

Behavior & Training > Potty Training Help!

Sammie

You mean, I'm- not the queen???

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '14 10:38am PST 
Every dog is different. However, whatever method you choose you have to stick with because consistency is key. This is what worked for me and my pup was fully trained in 3 weeks. I kept her close by whenever we were in the house and if I could not give her my full attention she was in her crate. If she went potty in the house I would give her a firm "no" without scaring her and immediately pick her up and put her outside. If she finished her business outside I offered tons of praise and a treat. Make it a huge deal. "GOOD GIRL! WHO IS THE BEST GIRL!" I also started praising her while she was peeing but in a whisper tone so she didn't get too excited and stop peeing.

My only concern about the doggy door is that you won't be around to offer that praise and reinforce the good behavior. Good luck and I hope she catches on soon!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Mar 26 2:57 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Considering Rescuing a 2nd Dog
Sammie

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 8:44pm PST 
Thanks for sharing everyone. It's great to hear stories that I can base my decision off of. Many people are telling me that I can't force Sammie to be a dog lover. But I think every situation is different, like you said Ophelia, she may fall in love with a live-in companion. Im starting to research rescues this week ( I dont want to adopt from Sammie's rescue group again) i will keep everyone posted
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ace, Nov 29 6:39 pm

Sammie

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 5:48pm PST 
Thanks for the advice Miyu. I think I will wait a bit longer before making a decision. Or perhaps get a cat since she prefers cats over other dogs smile good luck to you and let us know what you decide!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Ace, Nov 29 6:39 pm

Sammie

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 7:34pm PST 
Hi everyone. I have a lab mix who is almost 2 years old. I have been thinking about adopting another dog because I had such a great experience with the first rescue. There are so many dogs out there who need homes and I have an ideal home for multiple dogs. However, my only reservation is that Sammie is not very interested in playing with other dogs. She is not aggressive and has never been in a fight but when another dog initiates play she acts completely uninterested. She has lots of dog "cousins" who she always seems happy to see but she much prefers the company of people over other dogs. I consider her to be a dog snob lol.

I would love to adopt another dog but I want to be sure Sammie would enjoy having a buddy around. Any advice is welcome!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Ace, Nov 29 6:39 pm

Behavior & Training > How accurate are shock collars and other forms of positive punishment?

Sammie

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 8:17am PST 
Thank you for your posts, this forum has reassured me that I should not be ashamed of the training methods I am using. I am a young owner and have often been questioned as to why I use an e-collar. I did a lot of research before seeking out formal training. My trainer explained the concepts of using an e-collar, its benefits and some alternative methods of training should I decide not to use one. Before I put the collar on Sammie, I spoke to a number of people who train using e-collars, I wanted to be absolutely sure that I was doing the right thing. I am sick of people criticizing and judging me. I would never do anything to harm my dog and it has proven to be a savior in several situations.

I absolutely agree that e-collars can be harmful in the hands of an inexperienced owner. I worked alongside an experienced trainer for 6 weeks to ensure that I was using the tool properly. I wish people would do their research before they criticize.

Again, thank you. I have found the input from experienced owners on dogster to be extremely useful.
[notify]
» There has since been 36 posts. Last posting by , Mar 11 9:14 pm

Behavior & Training > I'm at my wits end!
Sammie

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 8:10am PST 
I'm so glad I stumbled upon this chat. I am starting to see some rebellious behavior in Sammie as well (she's almost 15 months). It's nice to know that this is common behavior for her age. Nonetheless, I still want my well-behaved, eager-to-please puppy back!

Good luck Terra, keep us updated
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Zoi, Feb 15 5:38 pm

Labrador Retriever > I'm a lab... but what else???

Sammie

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 7:56am PST 
Thanks Marley, that's really useful information. I'm glad to hear that there are other lab enthusiasts out there. I have always liked labs but I did not realize how affectionate, loyal and intelligent they are until I had one of my own. Regardless of what she's crossed with, I couldn't be happier.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Marley Tillman Dukes, Feb 20 10:23 pm

Labrador Retriever > Medicines, Walks and How much food to feed...

Sammie

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 4:40pm PST 
Hi Chester - How long are the walks you go on? I found that when Sammie is over-tired she acts very hyper. At these times I make sure she goes back in the bedroom and has some time to relax. We walk one or two times per day for 1-2 miles, that's plenty of exercise for her.

I have never heard of that medication before but I would be skeptical of anything you find online. What did your vet think?

As far as the feedings go- 2 cups a day for a 125 lb dog seems too little. I feed Sammie 4 cups per days and she weighs 75 lbs. Is Chester hungrier in the morning or at night? Your plan for 3 cups at one feeding and 2 at the other sounds great smile

Hope this helps, good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Marley Tillman Dukes, Feb 13 2:56 pm

Labrador Retriever > I'm a lab... but what else???

Sammie

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 4:33pm PST 
Hi everyone! I'm new to Dogster, loving it so far. I'm a 1 year old rescue pup and my mom doesn't know what I'm a mix of... lab is definitely there but not sure what else.

I have a really soft, silky coat, floppy ears and my back two paws are white (not characteristic of labs).
I weigh 75 pounds right now and my vet said I'm still growing. The people at the shelter said I would only be 45 poundss... boy were they wrong
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Marley Tillman Dukes, Feb 20 10:23 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.