Postings by Nico

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Health > questions about collar allergies pt 2!
Nico

Arrooo? Chomp.

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 8:36am PST 
Nico is allergic to nickel and sensitive to the buckles and tags also.
We use a rolled leather collar with stainless hardware for his sturdy collar and have a sturdy woven one with stainless quick-release for around the house and quick trips. We try to keep him collar-less at home as much as possible. He hasn't had any irritation since we made those changes. Don't forget his tags, his license is nickel and so we attached it to his leash so it doesn't come into contact with him. You can also regularly coat it with clear nail polish.

Etsy.com is a great place to look for collars and most folks there will make you exactly what you need.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rolled+leather+collar+stain less&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=fi refox-a
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nico, Aug 30 8:36 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > MISSOURI Rabies Bill SB 566 ACTION ALERT
Nico

Arrooo? Chomp.

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 7:44am PST 
Message sent to my senator!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 25 2:42 pm

Dog Health > Comfortis gave my baby horrible side affects!

Nico

Arrooo? Chomp.

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 9:16am PST 
Saskia-
You say there are a few products out there that target fleas while not being poisonous? What are they? Thanks.

With so many options and issues out there it is nearly impossible to make the best choice.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 15 4:09 pm

Food & Nutrition > Food help, please.

Nico

Arrooo? Chomp.

Barked: Sun Jan 29, '12 7:53pm PST 
Hi. Thanks again for the help. We did lower portion size with the Nature's Logic, we always feed under the suggested amount anyway, but didn't help. Transitioned for a week, with probiotics/enzymes Poo seemed to get softer as the weeks went on the new food, which was grain-inclusive. We are on 5 days of Honest Kitchen now and he seems to be tolerating it well, digestively, and his ears haven't been hot in at least 4 days.

Then yesterday after play day he began chewing his leg pit excessively. We are wondering now if he has a flea allergy. Food intolerance definitely, but this is different He seems intent on his groin in new ways. Also his back rump. He was do for flea medicine last week. I had hoped to avoid it since it is January, but with a high of 66 tomorrow, the bugs are alive and happy. We are going to vet tomorrow for Comfortis (the topicals leave a hairless line).
And we are going to slowly transition to a primarily raw diet as that seems to be the only was to easily limit his intake. The only treats he usually gets are bully sticks, antlers, freeze dried buffalo and chickpea-pumpkin homemade cookies.
Oh, and we're saving Venison as it's one of the only proteins he's never had.

Thanks again. The people in the house are healthy as horses and it so frustrating to see him suffer.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nico, Jan 29 7:53 pm

Behavior & Training > Learning to be left alone, out of the crate.

Nico

Arrooo? Chomp.

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 1:23pm PST 
Hi, so Nico is almost 2. We have been crating him while we are away since he was a baby. He has been earning a bit more trust so we are trying to give him more freedom. When we leave out of his den while away I try and put away anything he could possible want. He has a thing for coasters. Yesterday we left him out for an hour or so. And when we came home he had found the one scrap of fabric I had left out. Chewed on it a bit but didn't destroy it. We didn't make a big deal of it when we got home, I just got the fabric from his bed and told him "Mine." He doesn't do this when we are home, and has never counter-surfed. But how do I teach him to not take things when I am away? I can work outside for hours and he won't take anything. I usually leave him with a kong when I leave, which only lasts so long. Thanks for your help!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 28 5:11 pm

Nico

Arrooo? Chomp.

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 8:03pm PST 
Thanks for all your help. I think I am going to try the Honest Kitchen's Love (beef) and see how he does on that. Then maybe their meatless Preference to identify specific protein issues.

Thanks again, everyone. This site has had just what I needed to read on many occasions.

Hi Mika and Kai, thanks for the welcome!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Nico, Jan 29 7:53 pm

Nico

Arrooo? Chomp.

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 10:21pm PST 
Thanks. I have looked into Honest Kitchen, the "Love" is an option. I had avoided it as I had heard potatoes could feed yeasts. But seems worth a try. Zeal might wok but i am not sure how he handles fish. Salmon is no, and he gets a little "gaggy" when he has Sardine/Anchovy oil. I have also checked out Grandma Lucy's, but would have to order the grain-free.
I have considered homecooked, but I would like to avoid it for now, as we are avid cooks for ourselves and would require the purchase of an additional freezer. So for now, hoping there is some premade option.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Nico, Jan 29 7:53 pm

Nico

Arrooo? Chomp.

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 10:02pm PST 
We have quite a few local pet shops around with most every food available. I would prefer to avoid the major commercial foods.
Not beef but Addiction Venison has 26% protein. Maybe that's an option.
I had been looking at Earthborn Holistic but they have flaxseed. Should it be avoided? I appreciate your help. This has been quite a struggle.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Nico, Jan 29 7:53 pm

Nico

Arrooo? Chomp.

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 9:40pm PST 
Hi, I'm in the midwest. I can't seem to find a beef based food with out turkey or chicken. No flax in either of the foods he's been eating. Do you think it's worth it to try and avoid potato?
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Nico, Jan 29 7:53 pm

Nico

Arrooo? Chomp.

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 9:26pm PST 
Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading for awhile and it was time to join. Do you have any suggestions? I'm looking now, what protein level would you recommend? The Natures Logic is 31.5% And I can't seem to find anything.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Nico, Jan 29 7:53 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.