Postings by Coco

GO!

Behavior & Training > Pee EVERYWHERE!

Coco

Bark bark bark- bark = Hi! Hi!- Hi! Hi!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:53am PST 
Initially the vet asked to have another blood test done after the 30 days of meds, but when the time came I explained I couldn't foot another $75 test and the vet seemed confident it wasn't needed. This was back in October.

I haven't tried putting up his water yet, I'll give that a try tonight and see if we have any success with that. I'll start crate training as per what several articles online have instructed, to leave the crate door open and allow him to explore it himself before beginning the actual time of him being enclosed in it.

Thanks! And the other dog thanks you as well, she's spoiled... She sleeps in our bed cuddled with my wife every single night, and I'm sure she wouldn't adjust well to having to sleep alone.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Coco, Dec 1 9:53 am

Coco

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:03am PST 
Sorry to bring this old thread back up, but I had another question and felt it unnecessary to start a new one.. And by the way, the search function on this forum is pretty useless when I try researching.

The overnight marking still persists with coco, though nightly walks have been routine since my last post. The enzyme cleaner is used every time, so his markings are always in new spots.. Like our nursery furniture and the hallway wall when the nursery room is shut... I keep thinking at least he hasn't marked my baby yet. Because of the newborn I am up 3-5 times overnight and he is let outside every single time, where he relieves himself for a good amount of time. Positive praise is given enthusiastically and small treat is given, as it always has been.

I am moving toward crate training today after stepping in another marked spot this morning on the kitchen floor mat (3 am, heating up a bottle for baby, less than 1 hour after being let out to go successfully) and will be going out to buy A crate. Now.. I have two dogs, should both be crate trained the same or could just coco be trained by himself? The other dog is perfectly fine as far as this subject goes.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Coco, Dec 1 9:53 am

Coco

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 8:45pm PST 
I hope this is not something that has been posted twenty times in this forum, but I feel this may be a diverse case since all of our animals are different. I recently bought a black light, and was shocked to find dozens of spots big and small of urine.. I just moved to a new place because I'm having my first baby (any day now), and fear negative health consequences of baby being around this.. I bought a spray bottle of urine-off and used the whole thing before finishing, then bought a GALLON. That's right, for two shih tzus. It's that bad.

We have never actually caught either dog in the act, which I understand is a pivotal part in this kind of training.. Possibly a night time or home alone behavior. Anyway, since going over everything with the urine-off I have reinstituted daily walks, just before bedtime to ensure empty bladders. I have the belief (if this isn't logical let me know) my unneutered male dog refuses to empty his bladder when he is taken outside in the effort to be able to mark in case another dog comes around, then overnight has to release indoors since it's been full. He is very dominant, and likes to let every other dog around know it. So, these walks give him ample opportunity to empty everything out.

So, even with these walks I am constantly finding new spots and have almost used the entire gallon of Urine-off. I had decided before buying that I could break their habit before running out, and I could give it to someone else. I appear to be no more close to the goal than before, and judging by the size of some spots we are even further from the goal than before. I am going to do some research into crate training as a possibility, but I fear that because they are adults and are accustomed to sleeping in bed with us it will be especially difficult.

So, would you believe crate training is the most viable option? (I had an appointment set to have the male neutered, but his lab work returned something having to do with excessive enzymes in kidneys or liver and was on a daily med for 30 days, and was postponed. Since then we have had a change of heart, we're afraid that because of his age his habits are already well-engrained and won't change.. Plus, we would love to keep his bloodline going because their personality is too wonderful to stop. It's just this peeing thing...)
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Coco, Dec 1 9:53 am

Raw Food Diet > Negatives to watch out for

Coco

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '12 9:13pm PST 
We've been on the (frozen NW Naturals) raw diet for about six months without any noticeable problems. Over the last week Coco has been vomiting yellow liquid and foam, sometimes in morning and sometimes in evening. He's been finicky and has refused a few meals, which itself is unusual- still playful and happy though. However I got a chest freezer and bought a variety, so I suspect he simply doesn't like the choice I fed him those days he refused (lamb.) They're fed twice daily, with times varying by a few hours in either direction. Not sure if all this has to do with the raw, but it got me thinking..

Are there any specific things to watch out for, which would indicate they got a bad batch of food? It's always a concern in the back of my mind, though I know it's more safe than kibble sold in a grocery store (kind of like being afraid of flying, though statistically it's far more safe than driving.)
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Egypt, Apr 26 6:32 pm

Raw Food Diet > Are you hungry, or are you just a pig?

Coco

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 10:24am PST 
This has to be the best forum I've ever joined, thanks for everyone's feedback! It's good to know your dog being an incessant vacuum cleaner is not a bad thing, but more so normal. I still have them on chicken as that was suggested as a good introduction meat to raw, but I've had my eye on some meaty soup bones which the store owner says is his dog's favorite.

You've all contributed to making my dogs have a VERY good day later this week, thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Moose, Jan 1 11:22 am

Raw Food Diet > Are you hungry, or are you just a pig?
Coco

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 11:33pm PST 
Thank you thank you, you have put my wife's mind at ease. I have brought up the concept of gorge/fast as it makes sense that's the way they ate in the wild but have gotten an unsure response from her. Is this something you have scheduled, or just kind of do it here and there whenever it seems right?
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Moose, Jan 1 11:22 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Wondering if someone knows...is it legal to hand out "puppy mill" literature outside stores

Coco

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 10:04pm PST 
Civil disobedience has caused much more progress for both humans and animals than being timid and researching your local laws first. I feel if you are passionate about something, get it done regardless of laws- especially when rubbing against the grain of laws regarding mall businesses "privacy." I have battled my "local" mall time and time again, but on an unrelated front of pushing slave labor products (most anything made in China.)

First think, are you going to be coming back any time soon to buy from other stores in that mall? If no, don't be afraid of being banned! Even if you change the mind of one family, you will have an even bigger effect than any person can imagine.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Seela, Jan 7 7:23 am

Raw Food Diet > How Do You Stop A Dog From Gulping Food Down

Coco

Barked: Fri Dec 30, '11 9:15pm PST 
I'm not sure of your nearby market situation, but here up in Portland we have a shop called Raw Meat for Cats and Dogs. They offer RMB's in many forms, but my dogs' favorite so far are buffalo ribs. They're big enough to where swallowing whole wouldn't be possible for the largest gulping dogs, and it keeps them busy for over an hour before chewing it down to a size where I toss it in fear they will try to swallow it. If you don't have a specialty shop around (guessing I'm lucky to have it near), I bet a butcher shop would be able to help you out.

If no luck with butchers, try a health food store that sells meats (again if you have one near.) The ones I've come across will order specific "reject" bones and organs from their suppliers. I just ask first if they are familiar with the concept of a raw meat diet for dogs, and if they have other customers who come in for this. Plus if you get your supply from a health food store, it will have the bonus "grass-fed" quality every meat-providing animal should have!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 31 9:15 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.