Postings by Kenya

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Raw Food Diet > Beware of Raw Diet
Kenya

aka: Barkly- McBarker

Barked: Thu Feb 27, '14 8:29am PST 
I'm so sorry for your loss. Healing thoughts being sent to you.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Coda, Mar 3 8:14 pm

Dog Health > It's been a while since we logged on, but one of the Hounds needs some PoTP!
Kenya

Barked: Sat Jul 20, '13 8:30am PST 
Prayers for Precious. Hoping for the best for her.
[notify]
» There has since been 75 posts. Last posting by Missy , Sep 15 6:53 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Anyone have a Homemade Grain-free dog treat recipe

Kenya

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 8:08am PST 
If you have a coffee grinder, you can make your own flour out of tapioca, organic unsweetened coconut, dried peas or beans, etc. Use in place of the flours called for in any treat recipes you find that you like except for the flour.

I have been doing this and the recipes turn out great. Doggy thumbs up here.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 14 1:05 am

Dog Health > Ivermectin toxicity and tough decisions

Kenya

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 4:51pm PST 
Please know that we are thinking of you and share in your sorrow. God Speed Milo.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kenya, Mar 6 4:51 pm

Dog Health > Desperately Need Help With Allergies

Kenya

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 12:18pm PST 
Just a couple of ideas. You might want to ask your vet about a detox regimine. Some dogs can get a lot of junk/toxins/metals from medications, vaccinations, etc. built up in their systems and it can contribute to or cause horrible skin problems and make them more susceptible to environmental irritants.

For the dry skin, brewer's yeast is amazing for making skin moisturized and improving the coat. Most people only think of it for fleas but it has a lot of nutrition in it and is beneficial for other issues as well. If your dog doesn't have a yeast infection definitively, then it would be worth a try. Just improving the dry skin nutritionally would help alot with the itching. It should not be given to dogs with yeast problems though. But alot of dogs can tolerate it just fine. If it is tried, the dog will react to it within just a few days, so if things get worse, then you will know it is not for her and it should be discontinued.

If BY is out of the question, another item that is helpful with dry skin is blackstrap unsulphered molasses. It wouldn't take much, maybe 1/2 tsp. to 1 tsp. / day.

Diatomaceous Earth is a good detox product and is also good for dry skin.

But ask your holistic vet about using them and research them. These are simple protocols that I have had success with, although every dog is different and I wouldn't want to contribute to your dog's problem. Just giving you some other ideas to consider that won't break the bank. I know how sad it makes me feel when I know my dog is miserable and want to help her.

Sending best wishes for you and your dog in your quest to find help for her.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Mar 10 10:43 am

Dog Health > Parasite eating my dog skin , tail - constant itching
Kenya

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 10:07am PST 
Anal gland problems can cause this type of itching around the back end and tail.
Ask your vet to check them. In my experience they don't have to be full or totally blocked to cause this type of irritation and itchiness that drives the dog crazy. But if nothing is done about whatever is causing the irritation, the situation will only get worse.
It might be worth doing a detox and changing to a different food. How are your dog's stools? Constipated? Loose? Either could cause problems with the AG.
Digestive and probiotic supplements can help. Ask your vet what he/she would recommend.
Topically, I have found 100% aloe vera gel to be very soothing and healing. You can get it at KMart, about $5.00 for a decent sized bottle.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Feb 26 11:30 am

Food & Nutrition > Need to put weight on Irish Setter

Kenya

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 10:41am PST 
Hmmmm. That is interesting that he lost weight on that food.
Please keep us updated on your friend's progress. It would be very educational to hear what the Vet finds and recommends with this guy. I hope she is able to find what is causing his weight problem.

Best of luck, sending good thoughts their way.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kenya, Feb 14 10:41 am

Food & Nutrition > Need to put weight on Irish Setter

Kenya

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 11:24am PST 
I also advocate that the dog be checked by the vet. If he is cleared of the problems mentioned that could be causing his weight issue I have a couple of thoughts.

I did not see which Acana formula he is eating, they have several, all with very different profiles. If she wants to stay with Acana, maybe the "Sports and Agility" formula would be a better choice as it contains quite a bit more fat than say the adult formula.

Or, a food with a 30% protein, 20% fat ratio would be good to try. There are several, but personally I like the Dr. Tim's Persuit. The price is very reasonable also. It can be ordered from chewy.com, if you spend $49.00 the shipping is free. I don't know where you live but I live in NY, I think they are in PA. When I order I have the food at my door in less than 18 hours, and this is after placing the order at 4:30 in the afternoon.

My son's dog was not gaining as much as I thought he should. He looked good but the spaces between his ribs would just not fill in no matter what I tried. You can only feed a dog so much before you start causing loose stools, etc. I decided to try the Persuit because I had read of others having good results with it and putting weight on their dogs. Add me to the list. I started out giving him 3 cups a day split between 2 feedings as that was the amount he was accustomed to eating of the previous foods, and this was transitioned over a 10 day period, with 75% previous food and 25% Dr. Tim's, then 50/50/, then 25/75, then 100% new food. He weighs 58 lbs. and just turned 2 yrs. old. Within 3 weeks he filled out and looks super now and I am starting to cut the amount back little by little so he doesn't gain too much.

Also, when changing foods, keep an eye on the stool. If it is loose, cut back on the amount of daily food as some are richer and will cause the loose stool if too much is given, even if that amount was ok with the other food.

Sending best wishes to your friend and her quest to help her dog. I know how frustrating this can be.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kenya, Feb 14 10:41 am

Dog Health > Diarrhea

Kenya

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 10:18pm PST 
I have had excellent results with a supplement called "Perfect Form". The Honest Kitchen makes it. It is a natural digestive support mixture that is very effective. Another supplement that is super good for the digestive system and normalizing stools is diatomaceous earth. Either one would be alright to feed along with his kibble.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Tessie, Jan 22 9:53 am

Grooming > Stopping the itchies!!
Kenya

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 9:59pm PST 
It does sound like flea allergies.
Is it possible for you to go over him daily with a flea comb? Have a bowl of water with a little dish soap in it nearby to drown the fleas in.
Google electric flea traps for something to keep your house free of fleas.
Since he is such a big boy, one of those flea and tick disks might be a good buy for him.

Good luck to you and your boy. Believe me, I know how frustrating it is for both of you.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by PE's Autumn On Fire, Jan 17 8:12 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.