Postings by ATCH Tika RA CL3

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Small Dogs > Super embarrassing question but her goes.....
ATCH Tika RA- CL3

Mine?

Barked: Mon Apr 21, '14 3:45pm PST 
What about a real probiotic? Tika was a very gassy puppy, but between the probiotics and her finally maturing it has lessened. I just purchase probiotics made for humans - nothing special.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by ATCH Tika RA CL3, Apr 21 3:45 pm

Australian Shepherd > Aussie ears
ATCH Tika RA- CL3

Mine?

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 1:56am PST 
Ears are a hoot! I wish I had gotten pictures of the few days when Tika's stood up and she had huge bat wings on her head, they folded after a few days though and went through various folds before settling where they are.

Sadly just looking at the parents anymore can be misleading as tape seems to be a popular fix (even in pet only dogs) to get the button look to the ears.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kashmir, Oct 20 8:34 pm

Australian Shepherd > ASCA Aussie worth the money?

ATCH Tika RA- CL3

Mine?

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 1:49am PST 
I don't participate in AKC so even though Tika came with those papers I binned them and only sent in the ASCA papers as that is where I planned to trial. ASCA papers are not a sham...well not anymore-so than AKC papers lol (ASCA actually requires DNA for papers to be provided for all current puppies).

ASCA is a single breed registry, but also has conformation (altered and intact Aussies only) as well as performance events like agility, obedience, rally, herding, and tracking (which are open to all breeds). ASCA even holds a National event every year with a large amount of dogs in attendance (some 1500+ at the last one).

Depending on where you are there can be a lot of ASCA related events. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we are pretty littered with events...but I do know that it is sparse in other parts of the country.

As for the breeder and the dog you are looking at...that all depends on many things. I know of a few not so great ASCA only breeders, but I also know of several more AKC only Aussie breeders that are just as bad if not worse...then of course there are the bad breeders that register in both AKC and ASCA, so pinning a breeder on choice of registry is not always black and white. A quality puppy comes from a quality breeder and that can be a bit trickier to determine, but the basics are health, temperament, and the who's & why's of the breeding.

If you want more on ASCA check out the official website http://www.asca.org/
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by ATCH Tika RA CL3, Jan 12 1:49 am

Australian Shepherd > Gluing/taping aussie ears?

ATCH Tika RA- CL3

Mine?

Barked: Sat Aug 10, '13 7:30pm PST 
Talk with your breeder as gluing can go terribly wrong (a friend of mine did it even with breeder instructions and her dog had a reaction to the glue).

Ears go through all sorts of crazy stages, so what you see now - is not what you are guaranteed to end up with. Tika had some pretty fun ears between 17 & 30 weeks before they chilled out into a highish button as an adult. Her ears were taped when she was with the breeder, but I didn't bother to continue with it as I prefer natural ears.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by ATCH Tika RA CL3, Aug 10 7:30 pm

Sports & Agility > Showing too early in agility

ATCH Tika RA- CL3

Mine?

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 1:27pm PST 
As I mentioned in my last post on this thread, I started trialing Tika early. She did a NADAC Beginners Agility at only a year and two weeks. She also had been in the ring for Sub-Novice Obedience and Novice Rally at exactly a year old...so I knew that she could maintain focus on me. She had just (I mean just!) been introduced to an A-frame, but already had a 2o/2o contact. I wasn't worried about a Q - I was working with her on being in a big open ring with only me and the judge.

When Tika's first trial came around at almost 16 months I wasn't sure what to expect in the ring. We had only done full courses (10+ obstacles) a handful of times - but I chose runs where I knew I could make a course easy or workable for her. She Q'd in 4/4 runs that weekend and ran very happy.

Come the end of January for her second trial she did great. But by mid-February all of a sudden I saw troubles...she had a fall off the dogwalk at a funday (back in December) and then started avoiding jumps and not following body cues. It wasn't until early March that everything fell apart and I saw her lose her confidence. She was bar knocking, crashing tables, running through her contacts, missing weave pole entrances, etc...all the little bad things finally added up and she lost her confidence. Luckily my trainer and I both saw it and I took action. Mid-March she had her last trial until May (she was spayed)...but I immediately began working on drive/motivation. The difference in her between early March and mid month was night and day.

She is currently on an agility break but is learning running contacts and will be going back to basics when we get back to real practice later this month. If I hadn't been aware of her loss of confidence - I would have pushed too hard and probably broke her down.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by MACH4 PACH2 Aslan, Jun 21 9:56 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Salmon Crack Dog Treats - They're so good...they're crack for dogs. :D
ATCH Tika RA- CL3

Mine?

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 5:43am PST 
Been using a similar recipe for years - I had always used oat flour, but lately it has been oatmeal ground up in the coffee grinder. Works just fine & is significantly cheaper lol!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Nov 27 4:05 am

Sports & Agility > Keeping a dog calm at trials

ATCH Tika RA- CL3

Mine?

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 9:08am PST 
CPE is fantastic! Same atmosphere across the country from what I have found too! Part of the reason is that there are typically only 50 or so competitors there vs the mass amounts in AKC (more classes a day per dog equals less dogs and people). I enjoy CPE and that was why I opted to use it for my young girl's debut vs USDAA lol!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Feb 11 10:00 pm

Sports & Agility > Keeping a dog calm at trials

ATCH Tika RA- CL3

Mine?

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 11:54pm PST 
Definitely cover the crate and if you can bring a small fan that you can attach or set outside the crate to make some "white noise" so the sounds from the outside are a bit less.

I would also try a ThunderShirt or other type of wrap (or even a regular t-shirt pulled tight around the dog's body) as that can help with trial stress. My girls are pretty good about trials...but my boy tends to amp himself up if left to his own devices if I bring him (I usually am away from the set-up a lot helping out) - he gets a covered crate, a fan, and his shirt and he does really well. Granted we did a lot of building up to this and I didn't try it first weekend out - there were about 5 sessions at home before taking the leap to see how he did at the trial. Yes, he still will burst out of crate wiggling when I get back to him, but overall I would say that his behavior is noticeably calmer and he is much easier to deal with at trials.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Feb 11 10:00 pm

Behavior & Training > What Are You Doing For "Train Your Dog Month?"

ATCH Tika RA- CL3

Mine?

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 4:00pm PST 
Ok, I lied - Tika started scent articles last night - now to add in some harder things to scent lol!
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Jan 26 8:54 am

Sports & Agility > Shiba Boy Koji Did It Again
ATCH Tika RA- CL3

Mine?

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 8:42pm PST 
I am planning on doing some USDAA at some point. Right now she is in season and then for the April trial she will be recovering from her spay...so maybe at some point this year we'll play. No AKC for us as I have enough venues I plan to run in - I don't need to spend more lol!

It was at the Elma trial in November smile
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by MACH Koji BN RAE MXB MJS MXF T, Jan 24 8:18 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.