Postings by Magee

GO!

Senior Dogs > losing eye sight

Magee

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 7:46pm PST 
Magee is 9 yrs old, diabetic, & blind from glaucoma. It was also pretty sudden. Bullmasiffs aren't super energetic to begin with, so we didn't see much change when she lost her eyesight. We don't move the furniture much, except for the fact that Bella eats couches & we have to drag the old one out & the new one in(that's a whole other story..). But we put the new one right where the old one was, & we blcok off the room so that Magee can't get in & get lost until the new couch is in place. Magee has a special chair that only she uses. She gets into her chair when it's time to get her blood sugar tested, & gets down when she hears the dog food hit the bowl; goes directly into the kitchen without bumping anything. Sometimes she walks into the furniture on the deck, but she's learned to keep her head down so she doesn't bump her nose or her eyes. The only other thing she walks into is the occasional dog. They're pretty forgiving; they just move for old Aunt Magee. Your dog will adjust; dogs can live very well without sight.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Magee, Jan 2 7:46 pm

Senior Dogs > losing eye sight
Magee

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 7:35pm PST 
I also had a lab who went blind overnight, from SARDS. It was much more traumatic for me than him, although the vet said be careful; he might be a little jumpy for awhile. He wasn't. I noticed however that he was a little more clingy with me & the kids, & he got a little depressed about chasing his tennis ball. Wouldn't even try it. He was still able to run the fenceline with the neighbor's dog, though. Like everyone else, we didn't move the furniture. The kids - they were young at the time - would forget & leave stuff like shoes & books on the floor, but he would stumble, stop & go around the stuff. His nose still worked, & he eventually began to echolocate; he would perk his ears up & turn his head back & forth, all the while sniffing. Our floors were wood & vinyl; no carpet; so I wore flip flops all the time so that he could hear me wherever I was in the house.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Magee, Jan 2 7:46 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.