GO!

Behavior & Training > puppy class for toy breed - suggestions?

Kip

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 4:42pm PST 
I'm not sure how much help my comment will be because I know that you may be limited to the number of trainers in your area. When I was picking a class for Kip (small not toy breed) here was my list.

1. Positive Clicker training. (scientific)
2. Certified trainer (CPDT/PhD/ect)

I was lucky enough to find a group class by a trainer who had a CPDT and a PhD. Do the credentials make a difference? I thought so. She knew which puppies should be sectioned off because they were nervous, that high energy puppies needed to romp in a different section, and the shy puppies needed to be socialized slowly with fewer puppies at a time. She was also able to recognize when a puppy was getting stressed and when to add a bit more challange. Her dog class was also interesting because there was no playtime even though it was a group class. But, that let us train our dogs to overcome distraction and pay more attention to the training.

I think what you need to do is first survey all the trainers in your local area. You should ask them what their teaching methods are and ask if you could drop by to observe a class before you make your decision.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 8 9:06 pm

Behavior & Training > Separation Anxiety: What am I doing wrong?
Kip

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 4:26pm PST 
If you're not familiar with Patricia McConnell's books, she has a short book/pamplet on how to deal with Separation Anxiety. I think it will help you a lot. My local library didn't have a copy and I didn't want to wait for it to ship to my house so I just bought the e-book copy. It was either from Amazon or Barnes and Noble I forget. Her methods are positive reinforcement and for separation anxiety she talks about desensitization methods.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 10 1:19 am

Australian Terrier > Any Bloggers with Australian Terriers?

Kip

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 9:36am PST 
Hi, my name is Kim and I live with my Australian Terrier Kip. Out of the numerous dog blogs I've seen I havn't discovered a fellow Australian Terrier blogger so I wanted to start a thread.

If you happen to have a blog and you post about your Australian Terrier leave a comment!

You can find me and Kip at : www.silentlyfree.com
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 18 9:36 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.