GO!

Dogs & Travel > Moving out of state to college? What options are there for my dog?

Ella

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 9:08pm PST 
O
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 6 9:08 pm

Dogs & Travel > Moving out of state to college? What options are there for my dog?
Ella

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 9:04pm PST 
Originally I was thinking I could re-home my dog, have someone watch my cat for a year, and then come back and get the cat. However, I've been trying for months now to find my dog a suitable home and I'm not finding one. She's been passed back and forth between the shelter a lot in her 9 years, always getting adopted because she's cute and friendly, but then getting brought back for people-inflicted behavioral problems. So I'm very particular about where she goes as I want her to have a home forever.

My concern is that I will be gone at school and work a lot. I've worked at home the entire time I've owned her. I tried all of the rescue centers and everyone is full. All of them told me it would be better for her to stay with me, regardless of how much time I'm home, as chihuahuas draw their security from their person.

Taking them with me initially would be incredibly complicated and expensive, due to trying to find an apartment. Other option is seeing if someone will watch her for a year, and then I come back to get them. Even this issue is complicated as I'd need a second person to fly with me so I could take both in the cabin. I don't know anyone in the college's city, so I am not able to have a friend there watch them.

Are there any other options? Do you have any suggestions? I want to find a happy medium between what is best for them and best for me. My education is extremely important and I don't want them displaced for a temporary situation.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Nov 9 4:00 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.