Postings by Bob

GO!

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Hoping to adopt a wolfdog

Bob

Puppy Building - From a Blank- Slate

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 11:29pm PST 
I'd be concerned about the source that's selling you the dog. They cost a lot, because it's lucrative to the seller. My breed is often a breed sold as a wolf, for high $$$ when it's actually just a dog. Ive had many people see my dogs, tell me they want to breed to my wolves, because they can't find any of them anywhere, and argue with me when I tell them my dogs aren't wolves at all, they are purebred CHAMPIONS. shrug Then they argue with me, because I'm surely wrong because their wolves came with "papers" verifying that they are registered wolves. (There is no such thing) and Wolves are the best pets, and friendliest pets ever. (If they have my breed, I would agree with that part)

It's a scam. Reputable sellers do not sell wolves.

If they are selling for high prices to anyone who comes along, they do not have that canine's interest at heart. They are exploiting for a profit only. This should be warning enough. And I concur with what everyone else has said above.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Milton, Mar 29 10:54 am

Puppy Place > Puppy driving me crazy...
Bob

Barked: Fri Sep 30, '11 9:30am PST 
try obedience school. They get socialization experience. Attention training in the atmosphere of mayhem, and correct instruction on how to fix things and help with important stuff like timing, which cannot be taught in any forum. good stuff
[notify]
» There has since been 42 posts. Last posting by Chufee, Oct 2 8:38 pm

Behavior & Training > Training with Bob

Bob

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 3:05pm PST 
Retrieve training video
Bob is doing a puppy series of training documentation. I mostly on facebook but also here in his diary.
Today we are training the retrieve at 11 weeks, old, in case someone wants to follow along

This is the next building block to Bob's Future. The Retrieve. We started with an aspirin bottle perforated and meat chunks inside. He could smell it, but needed thumbs to open the lid. so when he picked up the bottle, he was rewarded with an approving marker reward and then exchanged with a treat, while we explored the contents of th...e bottle, and he got a piece of meat. The exchange immediately on giving the bottle is to keep his attention while the bottle is opened and explored. Then dropping the bottle at increasing distance and now we have substituted a ball. This is an orbee ball from Planet Dog, that is durable, intriguingly bouncy, and pleasantly squishy to the puppy. Again, as soon as he returns with the ball, the exchange for treat (already in hand) is made. Because a puppy's attention span is so short.
As you can see, most of Bob's training thus far has been collar and leash free. I am shaping his training by encouraging desired behaviors through structured play. When the desired behavior occurs, he receives a verbal audible marker of app...roval, and followed by a reward as quickly as it can be delivered. Because he chooses these behaviors, and is rewarded for the desired effects, he thinks these play/training sessions are his idea. He is being molded slowly into the performance dog, for which he is destined.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lupi, Jul 27 5:22 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > For my Hubby (Nordic Breeds)

Bob

Barked: Fri Jul 15, '11 12:24am PST 
I have a diary of a norwegian Elkhound puppy

Please check my development diary out
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Glacier, Jul 23 9:28 am

Dog Health > stress

Bob

Barked: Thu Jul 14, '11 12:47am PST 
ditto.
I'm a VERY good puppy. But when i turn 3 months, being left unsupervised in the house is not going to be in my immediate future. Also i will have doggy walkers come in to let me out if left longer than 4 hours until I am at least a year old. Heck, mom doesnt leave the older dogs unwalked longer than that.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Flip, Jul 14 4:27 pm

Puppy Place > Don't know what breed my dog is
Bob

Barked: Wed Jul 13, '11 1:55pm PST 
he looks a little houndy in there too. but seriously. He's adorable. It didn't matter what breed he was when you took him, and it shouldn't matter now. He's a mix of some sort, and not a breed. So just enjoy him. I think he's a black and tan dog.
Now those black and tan dogs can be just the bestest.

He's a clean slate and his potential is what you want to write on his slate. He's now your work of art. Lets see where you go with him.

I'm two months old also. So lets have a race on filling our slates the fastest! I'll check your diary often and see what develops

warmest regards,
Bob
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Snickers, Jul 18 5:58 pm

Behavior & Training > High Drive or High Energy?

Bob

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 9:12pm PST 
I would say a focused thinking drive is definitely trained in. I'm currently starting from scratch. My dad has incredible drive. I observe, and watch, while my family spaniel is just ADD and his brain flits all over the place. My grandpa watched everything even from a pup and processed it, before he ever made a move.

The family spaniel is just faster than the speed of thought, the wind whistling through his ears. He;s crazy hyper drive, and this makes it hard for him to process. You always here this big whooshing sound as the thought blew past him.

Where Grandpa, Dad, and 9 week old, myself observe, process, then act,

Keeping this channeled though and forward moving is a labor of love. The fundamental building blocks are all carefully being placed and cemented in.
I'm documenting this in my diary. I have one week of entries as of tonight
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Keiko, Jul 19 11:43 am

Puppy Place > Expecting too much

Bob

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 9:46am PST 
It's not possible to EXPECT too much. Making your dreams come true come from setting a high bar.

However, It's what you are DOING to achieve this, is what makes the difference. If this is continuing, I'd suggest it isn't the dog, but the methods you might be using. A new Obedience instructor/coach might be in order.

Everyone can make suggestions, but without proper timing you will never have success. So if your current coach isnt doing this for you, find another.

My mom has set a high achievement bar, but she's putting patiently, all the foundation blocks in place to help me achieve.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Chevy & Dodge, Jul 14 8:37 pm

Puppy Place > Expecting too much

Bob

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 1:01pm PST 
I'm 9 weeks old and my owner has HUGE expectations for me. She figures if she doesn't expect stuff, I will never meet the high bar.

You might check out my diary and see exactly what those expactations are. I think the standards are very high, but then.. Tuck is my dad
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Chevy & Dodge, Jul 14 8:37 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.