Postings by Miikka

GO!

Behavior & Training > And now we're chasing cars..

Miikka

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 12:42pm PST 
I am assuming he would chase them, but I am not willing to find out. He pulls and screams until the car is out of sight. Parked cars he doesnt pay attention to. Moving people I dont think he so much wants to chase, but he does want to see them. All those other animals are non existent where I live so I am not sure.

Thanks for your suggestions. Jewel its nice to hear a success story, I like knowing there is some hope. At this point I am ready to keep 2 leashes on him, one connected to his collar and one to his harness because I am so nervous.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Miikka, Feb 27 12:42 pm

Behavior & Training > And now we're chasing cars..
Miikka

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 10:12am PST 
I haven't posted here in ages, but I need a fix. I used to post about how shy and timid was through puppyhood, so much so that when I took all the pups for a walk in the park I used to keep him off leash not bc he was trained but because he was so afraid of his surroundings he would not leave my side.

For the last year or so, he has made a complete change. He is no longer timid, hiding behind me or snapping at strangers. He loves people, dogs and is all around happy. However with that we have developed some issues.

1. As the title states- cars. He lunges, does his pug yodel/scream, flips- all sorts of madness. I don't take them on long walks anymore because of how nervous I am about it. Hes only 12 pounds, and black- so just the thought of him getting loose is killing me. SO I need some advice on where to begin with training. I have brought treats out on walks when I take just him without his brothers- and have put him in a sit when I see a car coming- and if he turns his head I have been giving him a leave it command and treating if he turns back to me. This works sometimes, but sometimes he breaks to lunge regardless. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. He also pulls on a leash, so starting today I am going to be working on walking nicely.

2.Related to 1 sometimes. When he gets worked up,like over seeing a car, another dog, person etc and all my boys start barking- he runs at bauser and attacks his face and then goes back to freaking out. It never turns into a full on fight, its just a quick thing. He also does this off leash in the house when they get worked up/ or just when bauser starts barking.

3.This isnt too important but I figured id ask while im here. Miikka loves playing with bauser at home and he is so full of energy that ill take him to the park occasionally because he plays great with other dogs. However, he seems to lack confidence. It usually takes him 45 minutes or so to finally start playing. When a dog engages play- or he seems to find interest in a dog he will run back to me and stand by me and whine or cry. Ill say "Its okay, you can go play!" and he will either jump up and whine some more or run off a little, but then run back. Ill repeat this a few times and he will finally go off and play and once he does, he is a NUT. So based on his history of being very timid, I am just going with this is a lack of confidence, like he needs my reassurance that its OK. I would just like for him to feel comfortable enough to play without being attached to my hip for 45 minutes, and needing me to encourage it so much. Im happy he is playing either way, but I wanted some input.

Thanks guys
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Miikka, Feb 27 12:42 pm

Behavior & Training > Does your dog have their own morning routine?

Miikka

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 10:28pm PST 
haha aww. Yeah they definitely have their routine. I wake up at 8am and go to work- so the boyfriend and the 3 pups move from the bed to the couch and continue napping til like 11am. Then breakfast, potty and then playtime. Everything but the napping varies haha.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Sandy Baby ♥, Sep 29 4:25 pm

Behavior & Training > Losing hope.. Very timid 5 month old...

Miikka

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 8:49am PST 
Cooper, I wouldn't say he came from a top of the line breeder whatsoever, but definitely better than where bauser came from. The parents were absolutely darling, friendly and sweet. Really nice disposition. The breeder worked on potty training, getting comfortable on the leash, being handled by all different people etc. He was not isolated at all and him and his siblings definitely played all day when they werent sleeping. I know this because 1. She does a live stream of all her puppies from the day mommy goes into labor to the day they all go home. And 2. I went to go visit quite a bit to see him/handle all the other puppies.

As of right now- the siblings of his that I am in contact with are pretty much fine, good with people and other dogs.
So far all his interactions have been positive- My behaviorist thinks that it's possible that his intimidation could be related to being on edge with bauser all the time when he was a pup to not get snapped at.

Now, I don't know if by what I say it makes it seem like im pushing him too hard...I personally don't think so. The dog park situation, that was ONLY because there were no other dogs there. I had no intention of even taking him to the dog park. And going to other places...I don't understand. If I did what he likes- staying home and away from people and dogs- then how would I be helping him in any way? I don't see how bringing him out to have positive experiences is pushing him too hard?

I don't go out of my way to bring him to places. When I go to the pet store- I bring him with me. If someone WANTS to see him- I give them a treat to encourage him to come and see them...if he doesn't he just takes a treat and we move on. Going to social events- that is so he is not being left at home for hours and hours at a time. He isn't being forced to socialize- he usually has a chance in the begining where I try to have people give him treats and say hi,then if he is not feeling it he sits on my lap and is comfortable.

Any time we go anywhere-he is comfortable and happy to be with me and usually TRIES to approach stranges, but prefers to do it when they are walking away because I guess its less intimidating.

And now I wouldn't really agree about pugs being prone to being nervous- in my experience with pugs I don't think i've met a single one outside of miikka that was nervous or anxious in any way. And this is through all the pugs I fostered, worked with, and met through meet ups.

Thank you all for your advice so far- heres to hoping for some more as well..I need all the help I can get.
So
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kato, Sep 8 11:23 am

Behavior & Training > Losing hope.. Very timid 5 month old...

Miikka

Barked: Wed Sep 7, '11 4:57pm PST 
So 3 months ago I got this wonderful, happy social 8 week old pug puppy. Though we had issues in our home with him and bauser getting along- things are perfect now. Please see my previous posts if you're interested in the issues.
Well...the problem is now he is extremely fearful. He wasn't always like this. When he was a little thing I would go visit him all the time at the breeders house- he was social as can be. When we first brought him home- he warmed up to people--not immediately but he did. Id take him for walks at the park and he met some kids that he loved...rolled around the ground with them. He met a few dogs briefly but nothing major.

Well fast forward to about 2 months ago. We took him to a get together at my boyfriends friend house(we take him EVERYWHERE with us for socialization...obviously that didn't help.) Well...he wouldn't really let anyone pet him. He doesn't snap, but he definitely cowers and prefers NOT to meet anyone. That is unusual for a puppy. Thats not how normal healthy puppies act frown. Now..there was another dog at the get together...well he would try to engage play with miikka and miikka would cower and then snap at him so I picked him up and didn't get him interact.

Well it's basically continued on this way. I take him to pet stores and encourage people to say hi to him with some treats. He is definitely TIMID but not horrible. He usually will take a treat and maybe allow a little scratch on his chest, but then sometimes he will just hide behind my legs. Now...with dogs he usually runs away and may bark.

Last week I talked to friend who has a very calm dog that has no interest in engaging play with other dogs. I thought she would be perfect for miikka to meet. So we took them to the park with intentions of walking them around in the large field..but when we got there we saw the small side of the dog park had no one there. So we just decided to bring them in there. He tried to sniff her a couple times and wasn't snapping or barking at her. Then one of the dogs from the large side came in( who happened to be a pug as well) and at first I was nervous because I want all of his experiences to be 100% positive. But he seemed pretty relaxed so I stayed. Then a couple more small dogs came in and I checked them out but then decided they seemed okay. Overall it was okay, miikka seemed pretty relaxed walking around, he had no interest in playing with anyone even though he plays with bauser at home like a maniac. He even went nose to nose with another dog without cowering. I did lots of verbal praise and gave out lots of little treats for positive interactions.

So it wasn't bad at all for his first time- but I am wondering if this is as good as it's going to get? I wish more than anything he was a happy puppy like bauser was at that age. Loving every person he met and enjoying running around at the park with the other dogs. I just feel like he is always going to be timid, because he is past that "socialization" age apparently.
I don't want him to just be TOLERANT of other dogs, even though id be happy with that. I want him to be social like he is at home with bauser.

Please share some stories/words of encouragement. I feel like I have done my little man wrong some how.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Kato, Sep 8 11:23 am

Behavior & Training > New puppy jealousy? Aggressive? Anything will help!
Miikka

Barked: Wed Sep 7, '11 3:38pm PST 
This describes my situation 3 months ago EXACTLY. Bauser was 3 years old, played so well with other dogs and so we brought in a new puppy. 8 weeks old and 2 weeks. I thought they were going to be best friends- I was wrong. When they met at the breeders house- they were fantastic together but it definitely changed. Day 1 bauser actually wanted to play with miikka, but I think it intimidated miikka because he was so small that he didn't engage in play. Since then- bauser would attack miikka almost every day. He had to be banned from the couch and bed because if miikka came near them he would snap at him. If I was doing any kind of traning or feeding- bauser would go after him. And I had to remove all toys because he would go after him. SO I got a behaviorist to come out and help me.

She recommended just really noticing when they have positive interactions- and rewarding bauser for that. Now...what REALLY helped...Bach flower essence in "Holly."(same company that makes rescue remedy, it just addresses a different issue.) Now...when the behaviorist recommended it I was SO skeptical. I actually didn't get it for about 3 weeks after she was at my house. I only picked it up because I saw it at the store I pick up their food. I figured 13 dollars can't hurt. Well...it was the best 13 dollars I ever spent. The change in bauser was INSTANT. At first she suggested giving 1/3 of a dropper every 2-3 hours. So I did...about 15 minutes after the first time bauser jumped up on the couch. I was just about to kick him off and miikka jumped up. Bauser didn't growl. He didn't snap. He didn't even get tense. He just layed down....and miikka layed down next to him. They cuddled for a few hours on the couch that day. I was SHOCKED.

Well fast forward, miikka is now 5 months and they are the best of friends. I don't give bauser holly every day...in fact I never did. I gave it to him kind of as needed...if he has a grumpy day. But there have been plenty of days where he has been PERFECT with miikka without the holly. It definitely allowed bauser to accept miikka as part of our pack(we do have another dog bauser is 100% ok with) and now he is comfortable. The behaviorist was actually out again today to work on other issues and she said she could see how comfortable miikka and bauser were to be around each other this time.

Im not saying this will work for you- but it's worth a shot. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scraps, Sep 9 5:26 pm

Puppy Place > 4 month old is CRAZY about food

Miikka

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 2:58pm PST 
Hey guys. I know pugs are kind of known for being foodies, being that I have a 3 year old monster pug that would give his soul for a piece of kibble. HOWEVER, I don't remember him being this bad when he was a puppy. Little Miikka is absolutely nuts about food. He wolfs down his kibble and chokes on it. I have tried putting things in his bowl, like a ball, to slow him down but he still wolfs it down around it.

Today I gave him one of the older boys yam treats to see how he would handle it cause i've never given him anything that requires a bit of chewing. He initially tried to swallow it(its about 2 inches long) which didn't work then he finally laid down and chewed on it. He got about half way through it and I wanted to hold it from then so he didn't choke on it, and when I went to go grab it(I was sitting on the floor with him) he jerked away while swallowing it whole.

Im just wondering if there is anything I can do to RELAX him around food? I am scared of 2 things here. 1. He is going to choke. 2. He is going to develop into a resource guarder because he is so obsessive with anything he can eat.

Any opinions on this? He is currently getting 1/4 cup 3x a day and he is almost 7lbs.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ping, Aug 14 7:39 am

Behavior & Training > Getting a bit discouraged...

Miikka

Barked: Sun Jun 12, '11 7:15pm PST 
Kahuna, thank you for your input!

Asher, I have not but I am ordering it right now. Debby McMullen was one of the behaviorists I was looking at because she's local to Pittsburgh actually! Now I will definitely shoot her an email and see when I can afford to have her come out.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Snickers, Jun 12 7:57 pm

Behavior & Training > Getting a bit discouraged...

Miikka

Barked: Sun Jun 12, '11 11:53am PST 
Since posting I have already seen an improvement in Bauser. I don't know if it is temporary or what though. As of last night I did limit all the dogs on being up on the couches, and on the bed since he was getting so protective over them. This morning he was in his crate with a kong because he needed some time away. Well since coming out, he has yet to get moody with nibbler. Also, he was actually engaging in play with him, that he himself initiated. Mind you Nibby was still absolutely terrified at what Bauser was doing, but that will work itself out when he gains some confidence.
I don't know if it was just us setting boundaries yesterday or what, but I am liking what I see.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Jun 12 7:57 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.