Postings by Nova

GO!

(Page 1 of 35: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > I want to cry. my service dog bit me!
Nova

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 8:40pm PST 
Simple answer for a pet, maybe. But what if a passerby kid/toddler bumps into the dog, or gets his face in the dog's before the parent can stop him? OP, please contact a professional SD trainer ASAP and do not use your dog for service work until cleared by a professional. I understand that this is an incredibly emotional time for you, which is all the more reason to rely on outside judgement in this situation.

(If not for the public's safety, think of your own situation: say your SD does in fact bite another person out of the blue. Not only could your dog be removed from you and put down, but you could be held liable because you knew the dog had a history of biting and be sued for millions of dollars.)

Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Bobby, Apr 25 3:57 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Another Suspected Faker
Nova

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 9:58am PST 
Actually, no, I'm a raiser, so I have zero financial interest in anything. I've always been very open that I'm a guide dog puppy raiser. Additionally, guide dog schools provide dogs for free, so *they* have zero financial interest in requiring certs either. The only schools that would have a financial interest in requiring cert would be one that charges money for the dog, and I am not affiliated with any of those schools. So, you're just plain wrong.

And I notice that you didn't respond to any of my substantive comments. If a dog is having more "off" days than "on" days, then the "off" days aren't really "off." They're normal, and the "on" days are the unique ones, meaning the dog is not a trained SD. Period.

If you can't respond to the message, attack the messenger I guess?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Harley, SD, CGC, TDI, Jan 6 10:36 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Another Suspected Faker

Nova

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 7:13am PST 
Haha I accidentally clicked on this site because it was in my history even though I don't come here anymore and I am reminded precisely of why.

Soooo, basically some of you are saying that ALL poor behavior from SDs should be excused because the handler and/or dog could just be having an off day.

If there aren't fakers, the majority of SDs you see should be behaving appropriately and occasionally you'll see one misbehaving. Legit off day, I get it. It happens to all of us, people and dogs.

But when the majority of dogs you see are misbehaving, that suggests that most dogs are having "off days" most of the time, which is when they cease being off days and start being unsuitable SDs. Simple logic. Off days by definition happen once in a while. When off days become the norm, they are not off days, they are simply repeated poor behavior.

And for those who say that the faker problem is overblown, well, I live in a big city and the city government has started taking out TV, radio, and side-of-bus ads about this very issue because it's such a big deal. Stores have started approaching everyone who enters a store with a dog, but of course people just lie and say they're SDs and stores can't do anything about it. Heck, I have some friends who do it. It's common.

And now some of you are saying that even when these dogs display poor behavior, stores still shouldn't do anything about it because it could just be an "off day." I'm sorry, this is just beyond ridiculous. The faker problem is only getting worse as pets become more and more integrated into peoples's lives and when we reach a tipping point and the SD laws become overly restrictive for people who actually do have disabilities -- and they will, whether it is in 5 years or 15 years -- it will the the fault of those who defend ignoring this poor behavior. And personally, I'm with a guide dog school so these laws won't affect me or people my dogs are placed with and I don't have a metaphorical dog in this fight. They will, however, affect OTs, which is why I'm surprised that it's many OTs that are defending the poor behavior as "off days." They are shooting themselves in the foot.

And now I'm out and hope I don't accidentally click on this website again...best of luck to all of you.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Harley, SD, CGC, TDI, Jan 6 10:36 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > ADA require paperwork!!

Nova

Barked: Sat Oct 19, '13 4:06pm PST 
Yes, I did think that the dog could be in training (even though it was marked as "Service Dog") but, as a raiser myself who has been in many, many situations with dogs in training, I know that all of those behaviors are unacceptable and need to be stopped, regardless. The organization I raise with has an "ignore barking" policy too (no corrections), but NEVER in a public place where other dogs aren't allowed. If that were to happen, you leave immediately. When a dog's in training, you never take the dog to a place you can't leave if you need to. If you're incapable of doing that, you shouldn't be training.

Link, I think we're talking semantics here. Nosing, barking, however you want to describe it, the behavior I was describing was was annoying and inappropriate but not expel-able.

Honestly, I don't know why I'm still on this forum. It does attract a particular crowd. A few years ago when I first came, there were higher standards, people were clear that OTing is something not everyone can do (but some certainly can!) and that not every pet Fluffy is capable of being a SD when you've gone to 16 doctors and found the one that will write you a note. Now, things have changed. I know it's driven off a lot of people, and yep, it's driven off me too as this will be my last post. Which I know you guys will be fine with, but don't think that just because you've driven me off means that I think it's okay for somebody to decide that oh, they actually are disabled and that Fluffy needs to accompany them everywhere now.

New people come on and say that their dog is displaying some ridiculously inappropriate behavior, and the dogster crowd tells them to put on a metaphorical training band-aid when what they have is a lethal hemorrhage.

I guess if faking's okay with you guys and vest-wearing is optional, I'll just take my extremely well-behaved retired guide dog current pet with me places. Although I'm not disabled, I honestly feel so much better and happier having her around. If anyone asks why she's there, I'll start going off on them about how you can't ask that question. That seems to be the dogster way and moreover no one will know the difference. At least she'll be better behaved than many of the "true SDs" (according to you guys) that we see out and about.

And with that, I'm leaving. Maybe I'll be banned at this point as dissent and debate and critical thinking is never welcome at dogster, but I don't really care. Over and out. Best of luck to all of you.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Harley, SD, CGC, TDI, Nov 1 4:27 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Therapist

Nova

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 7:19pm PST 
The therapist is saying that from their professional experience the specific situation your friend is in does not warrant a SD. Not all people who suffer from panic attacks are disabled, and not all disabled panic attack sufferers would benefit from a SD.

I actually just typed "it sounds like a difference in opinion on treatment" but that suggests that two equally-trained people disagree on a treatment option. The therapist is the professional here, one with years of training on this stuff. It would be good for your friend to consider what the therapist has to say, as presumably they're both working towards the same goal.

If, however, your friend considers what the therapist has to say and believes that the therapist is truly wrong here, the best advice I can give is to find another therapist. Some medical professionals are just plain wrong sometimes. Occasionally. But it takes a very mature and well-researched person to make this conclusion.

The question of not letting the SD in to sessions brings up some interesting questions. If the dog is a PSD and used to mitigate a life-limiting disability and the therapist, through their work together, has determined there is no life-limiting disability, the therapist would be in a unique position to say "Hey, this person doesn't really have a disability, hence the dog is not a SD." I AM NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS THE CASE HERE. I REPEAT, I AM NOT SAYING THAT IS THE CASE HERE! But, that's what the therapist could be thinking. It helps to see that side of things.

tl;dr
Consider the therapist's ideas but if ultimately you're convinced you found yourself a lemon therapist, switch therapists.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lucy Ribeiro, Oct 11 8:20 pm

Nova

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 7:04pm PST 
To the person who said that certification will never happen because there are too many problems with it, how has it worked in every single other country on the planet? You don't hear the English, Australians, or Canadians complaining. To be honest, you also don't hear the majority of SD users in the US complaining either. Dogster attracts a bunch of people of a certain viewpoint, but one that, in my experience, is not shared by the majority of American SD users.

So to be honest, I think think the folks against certification are the ones grasping at straws.

Link, I recognize that a lot of our experiences are almost entirely location-dependent. I live in a place where lots of people try to bring their dogs into stores, and all the stores put up "no dogs except service dogs" signs...and then all of a sudden everyone had a "service dog." Which causes a lot of problems for actual SD users, inconveniences the rest of us who abide by the policy, and is just plain wrong. My parents live in a place where it's not really an issue, so I can understand where people who say "it's not an issue so don't mess with it" are coming from. But it definitely is an issue some places.

All I'll say about the two examples I gave is that I come from a family of lawyers and no business owner would ever win a case under the current law where s/he kicked out a SD for an occasional bark, or for sniffing a shelf.

(Ooh, and I when I say "Certification is needed," I don't mean to sound like I'm talking with too much authority. I assume that everyone knows it means "I believe certification is needed" since I'm the one writing it and obviously other people feel differently smile )
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Harley, SD, CGC, TDI, Nov 1 4:27 pm

Nova

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 8:58pm PST 
I've given several examples where dogs do not violate the law (i.e. could not get kicked out of stores) but behave absolutely unacceptably.

To add to the list, yesterday I was in a Starbucks where this was happening. The dog was definitely not out of control barking, but once every minute or two, it would bark. Unacceptable. But you certainly couldn't kick that SD out.

Education is irrelevant here, because the SD and handler were within the law. That's the entire point: the law, as currently written, allows unacceptable behavior.

The law gives SD users loads of leeway on this and for good reason, but unfortunately people have taken advantage of it to the point where it now needs to be changed.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Harley, SD, CGC, TDI, Nov 1 4:27 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Puppy Raising

Nova

Barked: Tue Oct 8, '13 5:07pm PST 
Hi there, welcome. You should definitely direct your questions to your CCI contact rather than this message board. Most people here have trained their own dogs and everyone has an opinion on how it should be done. None will likely be entirely consistent with your guidelines.

I'm a guide dog pup raiser. I've raised for several organizations and they both have very, very different methods of raising; in fact, you would get kicked out of raising for one if you raised by the other's methods!

If you just submitted the application, if CCI's process is anything like the guide dog schools' processes, there will be classes for you to attend before you can even touch one of their dogs, manuals to read and be quizzed on, classes to attend WITH their dogs, home visits, practice "puppy sits" and then, finally, if all is still well, you will get your puppy to be raised.

By this point you will be so incredibly familiar with their protocols and methods and you will have a gazillion CCI resources to turn to if you need help. While dogster is a great source of support and help for people who do not have outside support and help, you should really only be following CCI's guidelines for a CCI pup.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nova, Oct 8 5:07 pm

Nova

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 7:33pm PST 
But there's no denying that ADI has the only solid scaled-up standardization.

Like I said earlier, I'm completely fine with using another model, but there has to be some sort of minimum standard for SDs to be considered SDs. Somebody wants to come up with something else? Fine. But we absolutely should not discount the ADI model simply because it's international...I really don't buy that argument.

But, like Sam mentioned, anything involving the government isn't going to happen anytime soon! I do believe dogs, of any training, certification, or standardization, could run this country better then the current folks smile
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Harley, SD, CGC, TDI, Nov 1 4:27 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Harley
Nova

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 6:05pm PST 
Heading over to the facebook page to keep tabs on you guys. I'm sure you're giving him lots of hugs already, but please give him an extra one from me. Hang in there.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Oct 29 5:20 pm

(Page 1 of 35: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.