Postings by Fox

GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Behavior & Training > Should I put my dog down?
Fox

Barked: Tue May 6, '14 8:05pm PST 
Contact the behaviorist. Just make sure they are truly a behaviorist, not someone who decided to stick a flashy title on their business card. Part if a behaviorist's job is to assess and help you make this choice. It's possible that euthanasia is the best choice, but many dogs can be managed too. Depending on what his triggers are (sounds like food guarding May be an issue) you may be able to do counter-conditioning exercises to change his mind about what bothers him.

Fwiw, aggression toward dogs is very different than aggression toward humans. Many dogs are dog aggressive to some degree, and most don't like having obnoxious puppies in their face. I don't generally do not consider dog aggression reason to euth unless the dog is actively seeking to harm other dogs and can not be safely contained.

He may be very happy alone in the house. It's safe and quiet, without anything to agitate him. It depends on his personality.

My Fox is very much like this - she came to me at 6 years old, so aggressive over her food I had to feed her in a crate or gated room so she wouldn't launch at me for walking by. New people I our life are shocked to hear that - I can walk over and touch her food while she's eating now. For her, it was mostly a adding things to her dish mid meal that did the trick. There are a few chews she loves so much she can't get over it, so she just doesn't get those chews. It's healthier for her not to obsess and get so wound up. She also hates other dogs and any sort of commotion. She knows I'll help her get away, so she comes to me for help now rather than lashing out.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, May 8 5:43 pm

Raw Food Diet > Beware of Raw Diet
Fox

Barked: Thu Feb 27, '14 10:41am PST 
I would take legal action against that vet. He killed your dog. There is no excuse for what you are describing - this went on for nearly two weeks, and your vet did nothing. I'm especially livid over the recommendation to let your blocked, hypothermic dog lay alone outside for a while until he's fine again.

I hesitate to label any specific cause of death here. There are a lot of things that can cause the symptoms you describe, especially since they dragged on for so long. Septic Peritonitis is often caused by untreated E Coli, but it is not the only cause. One of the other major causes is intestinal obstruction. Both are very treatable with early intervention, so your vet's statement that getting him in sooner would not have made a difference is complete bull, likely an attempt to cover his own negligent ass.

Raw technically can cause E coli, but it is very very rare. E coli comes from feces, so finding it in a human food source is a BIG deal with massive FDA involvement. You're more likely to find it in your environment. Mixing raw and kibble is noted to have caused digestive upset in sensitive dogs, but the vast majority have no issue with mixing the two - in fact the practice is common among the owners of many super-active working dogs.

One of the major symptoms of any GI bacterial overgrowth is excessive watery, bloody diarrhea. Since that was not present and instead a blockage/constipation was seen, I would tend to suspect the problem was blockage/perforation-related and the sepsis was secondary (this is what sent my first Husky into the hospital for the last time - abdominal tumor abscessed, causing spesis). Blockages & perforation can be caused by a raw diet if an excessive amount of bone is fed.

All the food changes likely did not help, but they were not necessarily the cause, either. Correlation =/= causation. Ultimately unless there was a conclusive necropsy done, all of this is just conjecture - including the "what ifs" you are holding against yourself now.

It is important to remember there are risks inherent to all our choices, and much of life boils down to risk/benefit analysis. On my end, kibble likely contributed to my first dog's heart failure, nearly killed my first Husky, and puts my Fox in a miserable state of inflamed, infected existence. There may be risks in raw food, but they are nothing compared to what we have suffered on kibble. Similarly, you saw something that promised great benefit for your dogs, so you went for it. Whether it did or did not harm your 9yr old, you cannot hold that against yourself.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Coda, Mar 3 8:14 pm

Behavior & Training > sudden aggression in 1 1/2 year old neutered male

Fox

Barked: Tue Feb 25, '14 10:36am PST 
He's guarding his food. For now, do not let him have any type of food or treat or edible chew unless he is isolated, preferably in his crate.

He's not a bad dog, he's a normal dog. This is NOT an issue worthy of euthanasia! If you are not able or willing to work with him, find a rescue who will.

http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=dtb740
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Fox, Feb 25 10:36 am

Siberian Husky > Immune Diseases for Huskies

Fox

Barked: Wed Dec 11, '13 2:12pm PST 
Zinc, zinc, zinc!

Any Husky or Malamute with these symptoms should be put on a zinc supplement if the appropriate testing comes up inconclusive, and typical medication does not work. It does take 3 - 6 weeks to see real results.

Vets seem to not know or not acknowledge this issue. It's worse in areas where Huskies are not common. Don't be surprised if you mention Zinc Responsive Dermatosis to your vet and s/he does not know what you are talking about.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Fox, Dec 11 2:12 pm

Raw Food Diet > Varios questions

Fox

Barked: Wed Dec 11, '13 2:03pm PST 
Dogs fed raw have a very shiny and healthy coat,but also kibble fed dogs can have healthy looking coats...why is this?.

Kibble is not evil toxic dog poison. Some dogs have solid digestive systems with no food sensitivities, and they do fine on a processed, omnivorous diet.

Fat content also plays a huge role in skin and coat health. Most kibbles - even poor quality brands - are jumping on the O3 bandwagon with all sorts of supplements.

second is breath,my dogs sometimes have bad smelling breath*although i know it usually happens when they ate something inappropriate* it did used to stink to high heavens,but now it smells milky.

In my experience, bad teeth are the number one cause of bad breath. Raw helps, but some dogs just have horrible tooth genes.

poop. People love to say it is odorless,well its not,it is poop,please,point out that it is MUCH less smelling but still,you know its there if you get close.

What i actually mean is,can one really notice when a dog is fed a more healthy died by looking at them?

It's MUCH less stinky. But yes, poop will always be poop. There are things you can discern from looking at poop, but it's certainly not a be-all, end-all gauge of health. For instance, poop is large because of large amounts of indigestible fiber. It could be from feed corn hulls, or it could be from baked sweet potato.

Then you get into individual dogs... A dog can have terrible diarrhea on a healthy diet, because that dog's system can't handle it. Says nothing about the food itself.

I ask because the kibble fed dogs around me don't look that much different,i mean there are details but I won't actually notice straight away.

Differences are not often apparent in young dogs. In adult dogs, the biggest difference I see is in fat. Dogs on filler-heavy diets tend to get a lumpy layer of fat, whereas dogs on higher quality diets maintain better muscle tone and more even distribution of fat. Plus the "little things" like dry skin, yeasty ears and such will be exacerbated after years on a poor diet.

There are some minor differences in bloodwork for raw fed dogs, but they are very minor. I don't keep track because of that - my dogs have always fallen within normal ranges despite their diet. If your dog comes up double or triple something, it's a problem regardless. The info is out there, but I don't have it on hand right now. I do have photos of Fox on kibble vs raw, but they're on my home computer... I'll try to post later.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maxwell, Dec 11 4:57 pm

Siberian Husky > Weight loss help
Fox

Barked: Wed Dec 11, '13 12:56pm PST 
Poor coat is definitely a symptom of thyroid problems, but like any ailment, individuals usually don't express every symptom. Weight gain regardless of caloric intake is the biggest one. Other common symptoms are poor skin and coat, lack of energy, short-temper, fearfulness, and a tendency to be cold. That last one isn't often apparent in Huskies wink

It is possible his thyroid is fine, but if I were having this problem in one of my dogs, I would want to know for sure. I checked Fox's thyroid when I rescued her because she eats next to nothing, tends to have bad skin, and is very anxious and aggressive. Came back fine, and still does on recheck three years later (I'm not convinced). I plan to send bloodwork out to Jean Dodds when I can afford to, because it's so much more accurate.

As far as foods go, I hate recommending anything because companies change hands so frequently. I do currently (it's 12/11/13, in case this topic floats for years) like Fromm and Orijen very much. More expensive to start, but if they work, the benefits are worth it IMO. Personally I feed my dogs a raw diet I put together myself.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dreamy, Dec 23 7:44 am

Siberian Husky > Weight loss help

Fox

Barked: Tue Dec 10, '13 6:06am PST 
First thing to do is full bloodwork for thyroid function. Jean Dodds has studied the effect of thyroid on different breeds age groups, and you can send bloodwork to her if needed.

There are lines of Sibe that are genetically prone to hypothyroid, which does cause weight gain no matter what you do.

Then I'd switch foods. The theory behind most mainstream senior foods, including Nutro, is that adding bulk will dilute the calories. So she's actually just eating a lot of filler with very little nutritional value. This can totally backfire, since it bogs a dog's system down with poorly digested food. Some dogs will over-store fat, others just become ravenously hungry because they're never getting enough solid nutrition and end up overeating.

For comparison, think you eating only a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast - you're starving an hour later because it's all empty calories and fiber. Many of us will convert those calories straight into fat.

Nutro was bought out several years and the quality declined pretty dramatically. I know a lot of dogs who suddenly started having problems with it, and many more who tried to switch to it but did so poorly on it, they couldn't.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Dreamy, Dec 23 7:44 am

Behavior & Training > My English bulldogs want to kill each other! HELP :(

Fox

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 1:15pm PST 
I'm suspicious of the background story you were given. This woman had this dog with her Frenchie and they were the best of friends and everything was perfect, and suddenly she had to get rid of this dog just like that?

Whatever the case, it sounds like she does not like other dogs. Many dogs do not, and as breeds go, Bulldogs are known for tending toward dog aggression. A newly rescued dog will not act like themself for the first two weeks or so, until they've settled a bit (just like most people don't go out for all-you-can-eat ribs, get drunk and belch and fart on a first date). Then they start to breathe a bit, and after 4 - 6 weeks they begin to really feel at home; like they can act like themself.

It's possible something happened when you were away that triggered a mistrust of your first dog. It's possible she did love the Frenchie from her previous home, and that was her one special friend and she may never find another. Getting a behaviorist to see what's going on may offer further insight. It's difficult to get a real feel for a situation online. But what you've written here does not sound promising.

Obedience training will not help. Obedience will teach them the basic, useful cues like sit, down, stay, and so on. These things may also be used to help teach them to interact, if teaching them to interact is possible. But obedience alone will not help.

IAABC is a good place to start looking for behaviorist. You want someone well-qualified to work with dogs, focusing on socializing with current, positive methods. Anyone can call themself a trainer, or behaviorist, so screening is imperative.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Snickers, Nov 26 2:58 pm

Dog Health > Watery eyes

Fox

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 8:53am PST 
Best to bring it up at his next vet appointment, but I wouldn't go in just for watery eyes.

If there is colored or thick discharge from eyes, then you're looking at a problem. Or if there is swelling, or the dog is squinting, pawing, or otherwise appears bothered by the eye.

In a normal dog, extra tears are drained into the sinuses by their tear ducts. These ducts can become clogged, or are sometimes malformed. The tears can't drain, so they spill over the corner of the dog's eye.

This has been happening to Fox for a long time. She just had a tooth pulled, so we had her tear ducts flushed at the same time to see if it would stop. The flush went poorly, though, which means her tear ducts are most likely malformed and there's nothing we can do about it. Not a big deal, since it's mostly cosmetic anyway. We just have to wipe her eyes dry a couple times a day, or her skin gets irritated. Partially because she tries to dry them with her paw, which is rough.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 22 5:57 am

Siberian Husky > Discoid Lupus/Zinc Deficiency
Fox

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 7:11am PST 
I recommend posting this in the general Health forum, since there is much more traffic there. The problems you're seeing are likely due more to the lupus than the zinc deficiency, although the combination isn't helping anything.

What diagnosis and medications have you tried so far? What is the dosage on the zinc?

Are you willing to try homemade diets? Kibble is ok for healthy dogs, but it's so processed that most of the nutrition is added back in as vitamin supplements. It's difficult to digest and many dogs won't get everything they need out of kibble. When you start dealing with health problems, it can be a huge problem. A quality, canned dog food will be better, as it's much less processed and easier to break down.

Best is homecooked or raw diets (if his health can handle raw food) full of zinc-rich proteins. Beef chuck is high in zinc and fairly cheap, for instance. Oysters are the best source - you can get them canned - but a lot of dogs won't eat them. You would still need to supplement on top of this, but having the zinc-rich foods helps. You may also want to try a different supplement, in case he can't break down the specific one he is on.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Fox, Nov 21 7:11 am

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.