Postings by Zelda

GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Behavior & Training > Spending a LOT of time in her crate.
Zelda

Princess of- Hyrule

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 11:10am PST 
Zelda adapted to her crate very quickly when we adopted her a few years back, and has since had no problems being crated. She's always seemed to enjoy her crate, and feels safe inside.

This is fine and all, but I'm concerned because she's spent so much time in there lately. If she's not actively involved with her brother or going to get a drink, she's in the crate. Even when we go to bed, Charlie is snuggled up with us and Zelda is in her crate.

Why in the world would she want to be in there all the time? Our bed seems so much more comfortable!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Princesse Lily CGN, Jun 18 2:06 pm

Food & Nutrition > Switched from raw to kibble, now can't keep weight on. Additive suggestions?
Zelda

Princess of- Hyrule

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 4:45pm PST 
She eats twice a day currently and is a VACUUM. Thanks for the advice, all!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Jan 3 10:05 am

Food & Nutrition > Switched from raw to kibble, now can't keep weight on. Additive suggestions?

Zelda

Princess of- Hyrule

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 3:11pm PST 
Thanks guys. We add raw stuff anyway, so we'll have to keep a lookout for pork on sale, and sardines.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Jan 3 10:05 am

Zelda

Princess of- Hyrule

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 3:01pm PST 
Hey folks, we have had Zelda for nearly 2 years now, and we have always struggled with her weight. She is very slender, and slightly underweight according to our vet. We were able to put about a pound on her while eating raw, and maintain it, but we have switched to mostly kibble (with toppers) and now she is looking too "ribby" again.

Currently they are eating Acana Grasslands, but they switch between the different Orijen and Acana formulas every month or so. They get occasional toppers of lots of stuff: pumpkin, raw egg, raw meat, yogurt, etc.

I currently feed Zelda the recommended amount which is 1 c. per day (1/2 c. twice a day), but I may up it to 1 1/2 c. per day. I am a little nervous about giving her too much kibble in one sitting, since she is very deep chested and I'm panicky about the possibility of bloat.

Was wondering if there are other options or suggestions of additive to her food that could help her put on some weight? Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Also for the record, she has had this problem for nearly 2 years and has had a recent negative fecal test and a clean bill of health from the vet.)
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Jan 3 10:05 am

Dog Health > Orange mucous/oil in stool.

Zelda

Princess of- Hyrule

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 9:11pm PST 
Howdy Dogsters, hoping that some experienced people can look into this and offer insight.

Oftentimes when Zelda poops, it will be covered in an orange-tinted mucous membrane. Sometimes, it will seem more loose and large parts of the stool are orange. And then oftentimes Zelda will poop just normal old brown poop.

This doesn't seem to affect her health whatsoever. She's very slender and active, drinks and eats just fine and is not lethargic. The only oddity about Zelda is that she is very slender and will not put on any weight, despite the fact that I sometimes feed her double. I have noticed this orange color in her stool for a very long time (at least 9-12 months).

After reading online, I'm finding that in humans, orange oil in poop can be a sign that we cannot digest fat correctly. I'm wondering if this may be an issue with Zelda. She did have a particularly orange and mucousy poop today after two days of skin-on chicken thighs. (And worth noting, she is on a raw food diet)

Anyone insight or experience on this sort of thing is greatly appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Jul 13 8:49 am

Dog Health > Wheezing Jack Russell Terrier
Zelda

Princess of- Hyrule

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '12 4:07pm PST 
It sounds like a collapsing trachea to me as well. Our Zelda has had a collapsing trachea since we adopted her over a year ago, but it has become much less frequent. No idea what made it less frequent, but we did change her to a raw diet and she generally has much less stress nowadays.

When it happens, I place two fingers over her nostrils. Not sure why, but the vet told me to do this, and it causes her to breathe through her mouth and get herself back on track.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zelda, Apr 1 4:07 pm

Food & Nutrition > How digestible are these?

Zelda

Princess of- Hyrule

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '12 9:58am PST 
Thanks guys, haha.. but since the responses will 12 hours later, I already got my answer. No problems at all.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ginger, Mar 22 11:22 am

Food & Nutrition > How digestible are these?

Zelda

Princess of- Hyrule

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 5:36pm PST 
Hey guys, I got a big bag full of tracheas and beef backstraps (or maybe small tendons) and the like from a friend tonight. I gave the dogs the small tendon looking pieces and Zelda chewed hers into a couple smaller pieces and ate them pretty fast, like within a minute.

Just wondering, how digestible are these? Do I need to be worried in the same way as rawhides? These were either beef tendons or beef backstraps, but I'm not sure. The whole piece that I gave her was thin and about 6 inches in length.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Mar 22 11:22 am

Raw Food Diet > THE DANGERS OF GORGING!

Zelda

Princess of- Hyrule

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 1:12pm PST 
Yes, I love that commercial smile.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Feb 24 5:49 pm

Raw Food Diet > THE DANGERS OF GORGING!
Zelda

Princess of- Hyrule

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 12:09pm PST 
I have no idea how Zelda escaped either! The area between two posts on our wooden fence is about 4 or 5 inches max. Her stomach had to be 8 inches wide. Animals are bizarre.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Feb 24 5:49 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.