Postings by Zoe

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Dog Health > Vet won't sell Rx food without exam for healthy pet
Zoe

What kind of dog- is that? A black- one!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 6:29am PST 
Thanks for your judgment. You didn't answer my question at all, but just my 2 cents.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Aug 12 4:04 pm

Dog Health > Vet won't sell Rx food without exam for healthy pet
Zoe

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 9:04pm PST 
OK, I know this is "dog"ster and there's probably a better avenue for this, but I just want to hear what people think about my particular experience with my vet- it's about my cat, but it's more about my vet, so just pretend I'm talking about a dog instead of a cat. (He's bigger than my dog anyway...)
I have a mean, nasty, 9 year old cat. When he was two, he developed bladder crystals, blocked, and had to be treated at an emergency clinic (at midnight on saturday, of course!) The problem was alleviated, he was put on Rx food (Hill's WD, because he's a fatty.) He's been perfectly fine since that isolated incident. I get the food at the vet's office, and for the past 9 years, I have only brought the cat into the vet every third year for his rabies booster. He's been perfectly healthy. (He needs no other vaccines as an indoor only cat.) Last year, my vet decided she would no longer sell me the food without a current well-pet exam (not a rabies booster year.). So in addition to the $30 bag of RX food, I had to spend $80 to bring a healthy cat to the vet and be told he's healthy. Does this irk anyone else?
I understand the need for well exams, and especially for an office visit to be required for something like heartworm prev, because of the risks of giving preventative to a positive dog. But there's nothing in the exam that will show if my cat has had further complications due to his bladder issues. (They don't inspect that.)
I guess what gets me is that when the going gets tough and the economy sucks, the vet changes her practice to squeeze her clients.
Does anyone else think this is kind of slimey? I'm debating changing to a different food so I don't have to go to the vet, but I'm afraid of trying to fix what ain't broke. And he's a picky eater and LOVES WD.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Aug 12 4:04 pm

Dog Health > Interceptor Alternative for dog who can't take Ivermectin?

Zoe

Barked: Thu Aug 2, '12 9:17am PST 
So, it sounds like most of us are in the same boat- and we're all up the creek in it without paddles.
Zoe's not a herding breed, and her reaction to it is that of "adverse side effects"- diarrhea after taking it. I also had to argue it with my vet until I was blue in the face. "She's not a herding breed! She can't react!" I know that, she wasn't having neuro symptoms, she was suffering the side effects! Except I wasn't trying to say it happened days or a week later- two months in a row, she had diarrhea THREE HOURS to the minute after I gave it to her. That, to me, is a cut-and-dried adverse reaction. And like the above poster said, i'm afraid to keep going with it, out of fear that each time the reaction could be worse. An isolated incident of diarrhea is tolerable. If it progresses into a reaction that lasts hours and includes vomiting, that's dangerous.
I like that your vet is offering a free heartworm test. Wish my vet did the same.
So far, I've been winging it without anything but Frontline. She's not outside a whole lot, really just to go out to do her business. She hates the heat. I was going to try HeartGard (name brand) but Zoe got sick with some sort of stomach bug (does that happen to dogs?) and now that she's better, I don't want to rock the boat with anything that could upset her stomach again.
What irks me the most is that I feel it was up to me to find an alternative. Shouldn't that be the vets job? If I were taking blood pressure medicine and the manufacturer discontinued it, isn't it my doctors job to find a replacement?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Aug 2 12:59 pm

Zoe

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 9:13am PST 
So what does Flynn do about Tick control? I should have thought to seek out herding breeds in the beginning- I know about the risk Ivermectin poses to them.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Aug 2 12:59 pm

Zoe

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 8:38am PST 
Also, does it strike anyone else as wrong that I am having to figure this out myself- shouldn't it be the vet's job? They told me a month ago that Interceptor was no longer being manufactured, and they've yet to present me with a solution other than "Well, there's revolution, and that kills fleas too..." I had to research it myself to see that it's used in place of heartworm prev & flea/tick and would eliminate the need for Frontline but would leave her unprotected from ticks. So I asked them "What would I do about tick protection?" And here we are.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Aug 2 12:59 pm

Zoe

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 8:29am PST 
I tried the 12 pack, I tried the 6 pack, I tried just buying a single dose, I tried the next size down, nothing. It's all sold out. I need the 11-25 Lb. pkg and I can't buy a single one. It's not available, and it looks like it's going to be early next year before it's available. So even if I eek out one last dose, I'm going to have this problem in a month again- that's why I'm looking for an alternative to a drug that's no longer being manufactured, not a back-alley way to get Interceptor. I feel like I'm on the street corner looking to score.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Aug 2 12:59 pm

Zoe

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 8:06am PST 
I don't know how you guys are seeing this, but I tried to put it in my cart and got this:

Item Unavailable To Order At This Time

This item is unavailable for order at this time. You may try to select a different item if you wish. If you have any questions regarding the unavailable item, please feel free to call one of our friendly customer service representatives at 1-800-381-7179.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Aug 2 12:59 pm

Zoe

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 5:01am PST 
Drs. Foster & Smith website says "Availability of these medications is expected to resume sometime in January 2013, according to an article in Veterinary Information Network news."
So, not an option. It's not available.

If you switch to Revolution, how do you get tick control?
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Aug 2 12:59 pm

Zoe

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 7:15am PST 
My dog (11lb terrier mix) had a nasty reaction (diarrhea) the last two times she took Tri-Heart (generic heartgard) so she was switched to Interceptor about a year and a half ago, which has been working great, except now Interceptor isn't available. What can I put her on as an alternative? The vet suggested Revolution, which is a topical and also protects against fleas. But that leaves her unprotected against ticks, which is a concern. Any suggestions as to protection against fleas, ticks AND heartworm? The vet also said we could try HeartGard again and see what happens... I'm wondering if I put her on the name brands vs. generic if it might be a means to an end until Interceptor is available again. Help!
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Aug 2 12:59 pm

Dogs & Travel > Moving out with my dog
Zoe

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 1:40pm PST 
Hi All,
I had posted about this a few months ago, but the time is actually coming soon. I rescued Zoe a little over a year ago, and since then we've both been living with my parents. My fiance and I just bought a house, and Zoe will be moving with me when I go. I'm concerned about turning her world upside down. She's used to having my mom home part of the day, and her "people" are myself and my parents (though if she had to pick her next favorite person, I think she would say my fiance.) We both work full time, so we'll need to transition her to being alone a good part of the day. (About 8 hours- i leave for work a few hours later, he gets home about an hour before me, neither of us has crazy commutes.) The new house is
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zoe, Jan 3 1:40 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.