Postings by Cooper *CGC*

GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Dog Health > Dealing with Mange in Puppy
Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Thu Dec 12, '13 4:59pm PST 
You can only wait it out. Cooper had it as a puppy and it took almost 3-4 months for his hair to completely grow back. Best thing to do is keep their immune system stable(no vaccines or unnecessary surgeries if possible as that will hinder progress that has been made).
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Myrtle, Dec 15 5:55 pm

Dog Health > Demodex Mange
Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 7:17pm PST 
Call your vet and mention your concerns. The doses to treat demodex mange are higher than the what's in heartworm medications. I used mitaban dip with Cooper when he was a puppy and while that worked I wish I would have used ivermectin because the dip was awful.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mulder, May 23 7:20 pm

Dog Health > Mange scars

Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 4:00pm PST 
Unfortunately there's not a whole lot you can do about it. I have a dog that has a few scars from mange too.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Angel, Feb 15 10:05 pm

Behavior & Training > Good books for reactiveness

Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 12:29pm PST 
Thanks Smokey. I found one today that does an evaluation for free and only uses positive reinforcement and clicker training with reactive dogs so I plan on giving him a call soon. Hopefully he'll be in my price range.

Cooper is clicker trained so that should be pretty easy to train. He does know watch me already but if there is a dog in sight that pretty much controls his focus. I will start working on that automatic check in. Hopefully that will help at least take his focus away from dogs that are far away.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Dec 9 2:15 pm

Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 7:58am PST 
Unfortunately Posidog is way out of my price range. I will have to google more and ask around. I asked at my dog club, but the only place they recommend using flooding, prong collars with harsh corrections and no positive reinforcement at all and I refuse to use those techniques with any dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Dec 9 2:15 pm

Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 6:25am PST 
Smokey-How do you teach a default check in?

I've been looking for a trainer that's good with reactivity but there aren't many around here that are for positive reinforcement only and I know any kind of punishment will make it worse. The one around here that is based on positive reinforcement recommended medication before even starting a program with him which I don't think is necessary.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Dec 9 2:15 pm

Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 3:22pm PST 
He does stiffen up about a second before going after the other dog, but other than that I have not noticed any other body postures or calming signals or anything and I'm pretty good at picking up on them. He is fine with other dogs in the home and he is completely fine off leash unless a dog keeps bothering him. It's just on leash. I have been looking at BAT and Scaredy dog and I think I will end up getting both.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Dec 9 2:15 pm

Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 4:28pm PST 
Cooper has always been somewhat reactive for about a year. It is getting progressively worse. I help train at a local dog club and I brought him one night and he wouldn't even pay any attention to me if there was another dog there. He was so focused on the other dogs that even treats didn't work and he is extremely food motivated. If dogs come up to him he tends to go after them. He is not very confident and very very timid so I'm sure that a lot of it is fear. I just don't know how to help him get passed this and I don't have the money for a behaviorist right now. I'm not too happy with the behaviorists that are here either. Unfortunately there are no reactive dog classes near me either. I'm looking for a book or books that explains step by step what I can do to help him overcome his reactivity. Any help would be great!
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Dec 9 2:15 pm

Dog Health > 24PetWatch microchip questions

Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Thu May 10, '12 2:11pm PST 
Cooper and Chase both have 24PetWatch chips. From what I've heard it's easy to change your information with them. 24petWatch is the one that lets you register any microchip. I haven't ever had either of them get out so I can't answer questions regarding that.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 10 7:06 pm

Behavior & Training > Reactive/Guarding behavior. Help needed
Cooper *CGC*

It wasn\'t me I- swear

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '12 2:05pm PST 
It's never started a fight when we're out somewhere. Usually the other dog backs up and leaves. I usually then try to redirect onto something more appropriate or put him in a time out. He is not playing, it's more of a "Okay I sniffed you, I don't want you sniffing me or you sniffed me enough, now get away from me.".

We have had the occasional fight at home between him and another dog when I leave the room and shut the door or something. I'm not sure what that is about, but usually I just have to say his name and he stops.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Spirit, Mar 22 3:44 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.