GO!

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Access challenge at Dollar Tree
Beth

Hey! I hear- people landing- on the Moon!

Barked: Fri Jan 24, '14 4:41pm PST 
Calina's person:

I think that stores just naturally assume that a small breed service dog can't possibly be real, so they tell you to get them off the floor. I've lost track of the number of times I've been given the hairy eyeball over having a small breed service dog in a store/business/restaurant.

"I didn't know a dog that small could be a service dog!"

"Yes, they can, if they do the kind of service mine does for me."

"Is that a blind dog?"

"No, she sees just fine, thank you."

Just stick to your guns and if they get stupid, tell 'em you'll be more than happy to get in touch with the Federal government over access issues.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 30 11:11 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Feeling awkward with my service dog?
Beth

Barked: Tue Jan 21, '14 11:38pm PST 
I got lucky when Beth starting alerting to my migraines as a small puppy. I think it had something to do with the fact that we were always together, so she could smell whatever the hell my body does before it gets a migraine. That wasn't her original purpose as a service dog when I got her five years ago this month.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 17 12:17 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > SD Papers

Beth

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 9:07am PST 
Directly from the ADA website:
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 14 6:39 pm

Beth

Barked: Wed Jan 8, '14 6:26pm PST 
You're most welcome.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 14 6:39 pm

Beth

Barked: Wed Jan 8, '14 5:43pm PST 
That your dog is a Service Dog and that the Americans with Disabilities Act states that Service Dogs are not required to have any kind of paperwork. If they get stupid, refer them to ADA.gov and have them look up the section on Service Dogs. If they continue to be stupid, tell them that they face nasty fines for violating the ADA.

The ADA is Federal not state, and trumps any state garbage.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 14 6:39 pm

Beth

Barked: Wed Jan 8, '14 5:17pm PST 
There is no such thing as papers for a service dog. The ADA specifically says that "papers" aren't required for service dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 14 6:39 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Another Suspected Faker

Beth

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 10:06pm PST 
In some cases, as I have a small breed service dog, I find it easier to have her in canvas Trader Joe's bag in the purse section of my cart. It makes a things lot better when traveling through a place like Costco or WalMart. Too damned many carts and people not paying attention where they are going.

Not every little dog "with a red vest" is a yapper or an attitude problem. If they've been properly trained, you're not going to hear a sound from them while they are working.

Don't spackle everyone who uses a small breed service dog with the "faker" label, please. It's not all about mobility issues.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 6 10:36 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Another Suspected Faker

Beth

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 9:20am PST 
Nova:

And your comment about being with a school now outs you as to why you're so in favor of certification. You have a vested (financial) interest in making it mandatory that service dogs are certified.

Good luck to you as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 6 10:36 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Need some help for a collage paper

Beth

Barked: Mon Dec 9, '13 11:59am PST 
If I'm at the dog park, I don't have Beth's service dog harness on her. There's no reason to do so. Thus, unless I tell someone that she's a service dog, she just looks like a pet, which is fine with me.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 11:59 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Need some help for a collage paper
Beth

Barked: Tue Dec 3, '13 5:06pm PST 
If there are no legal leash-free dog parks in the area you live in already, why would it be fair for only service dogs to have that ability?

Believe me when I say that if the college allowed such a thing, it would cause a lot of angry comment in the rest of the community. It would only cause BAD feeling for those who must use service dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 11:59 am

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.