Postings by Hachiko

GO!

Australian Cattle Dog > Possible dog for a novice owner?

Hachiko

I fetch if I- want to.....

Barked: Fri Mar 26, '10 11:53am PST 
I just came by my first Australian Cattle Dog a few weeks ago. I've known people with ACDs and their dogs before. One of the best known was the late YZ, pet of Roxanne Sitarz, who was a canine blood donor dog in South Florida for many years. YZ was a sweet, friendly, docile dog who went to work every day with his owner and who liked everyone.

Prior to being adopted by my ACD, I have had a large rough collie male for two years and HE loves everyone and everything. He likes his vet and is stoic about procedures,....which helps since he's around 100 pounds and not fat, either.

The ACD was left on my porch...a 7 month old throwaway. He's been to the vet a few times and was neutered last week and loves the people at the animal hospital. I'd like to say that I'm responsible for his social skills but I'm not. I think he's just naturally good natured and any socialization he got in early life was courtesy of his former master.

So, yes, they can be darlings or devils. We have been blessed here at our wildlife habitat with wonderful dogs. If you get one and are able, take your dog to puppy kindergarten and any sessions permitting a pup to be around other pups and people. Oh, and good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Jul 29 11:12 pm

Australian Cattle Dog > Is my dog an ACD?
Hachiko

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 11:09am PST 
It looks like your baby has some ACD in him all right. Have you considered DNA testing?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by REDFORD , Mar 31 6:45 pm

Australian Cattle Dog > Aggressive or Assertive?

Hachiko

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 11:04am PST 
I feel really strange posting this but Hachi has had me for two weeks now and hasn't been a problem at all. Someone tossed him out of a car late one night and he's about 7 months old. Had him neutered last week. He's such an agreeable fellow so far....doesn't try to herd people. He sometimes tries it with our much-larger collie who doesn't take it seriously but he's not biter. Some say that Hachi got lucky coming to our door. I think the rest of us got lucky that he did so!

blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Jul 26 9:16 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.