Postings by Chiquita

GO!

Alaskan Malamute > Destroying Things

Chiquita

Barked: Tue May 4, '10 10:00pm PST 
I couldn't help but smile when I read your post smile

This reminds me of Chica's behaviour, so I'm glad I'm not alone and I begining to see the funny side of her little antics. She has yet to chew anything (fingers crossed) that isn't her's in the past month so things are going fairly well.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Frank, May 20 7:18 am

Alaskan Malamute > Why does Cody still have droopy ears?
Chiquita

Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 4:21pm PST 
Hi Cody,

I know a dog at our park we play at that has one droopy ear and one that stands up completely. He can often raise the other ear half way up but never fully. I am told that he was a difficult birth for his mother as he was so big. Their vet believes that his muscles and nerves were damaged during the birth (basically his head got squished). This may not be the case for your boy but its just something I have observed.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Mar 15 8:01 pm

Alaskan Malamute > Destroying Things

Chiquita

Barked: Mon Apr 12, '10 9:59pm PST 
Hi Everyone,

My 1 year old pup is still destroying household things!!!

Most recently pillows, but in the past, shoes, books, backpacks, magazines, DVD's, CD's, buckets.

It appears the latest pillow incident is the final straw for my partner, he can't take it anymore (dramatic I think, since she hasn't destroyed anything of his is the past 3-4 months). He thinks next time she does it she will have to go. I believe I can talk him out of his crankyness but I am still concerned that at the age of 1 she is still being naughty like this.

If she has destroyed something during the day she always approches me with an I'm sorry mum look about her. I think this means she understands that she has done something naughty but why do it again? Does she forget?

If she happend to get hold an icecream bucket that I left outside (chook scrap bubcket) she doesn't approach me this way and I don't scold or discipline her for that, I left it on the ground near the cage and therefore (in her mind) it is hers if its in her yard. But she clearly knows that she isn't supposed to take anything inside that isn't hers.

We have a great park that we go to in the afternoon where she plays with at least 10 other pups so lots of afternoon exercise. It looks like I will have to start morning walks too though.

Has anyone else experiencecd this? If so would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Kirra (Chica's Mum)
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Frank, May 20 7:18 am

Alaskan Malamute > My mal is rough with my dauther looking for any advice

Chiquita

Barked: Wed Mar 3, '10 7:09pm PST 
Hi Chianna, (did you get her name from Frscape ? If so very cool laugh out loud

It sounds like she believes your daughter is her playmate dog. Not so good with the stregth ratio and soft skin of a child as compared with a real dog playmate.

I would suggest getting your daughter to do more of the I'm an owner of you jobs to compliment the I'm also fun to play with thing eg putting food out for her, walking her (if she's a puller have two leads attached a long one for you and a short one for your daughter who can stand right beside her, the illusion will be that Chianna is being walked by your daughter). This worked for my dogs fear of children, not sure how it will go with an over the top love of them ?

Goodluck from Chiquitta and Kirra
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chiquita, Mar 3 7:09 pm

Alaskan Malamute > New From Australia

Chiquita

Barked: Tue Jan 12, '10 2:23pm PST 
Hi from Oz other Mal owners and lovers. I just found this site a few days ago and love that it has a dedicated Malamute forum. I've read every post and am really enjoying the advice and stories from you all.

One topic I didn't find was on speying. My 9 months old girl just got speyed yesterday and I have read extensively on what to expect but I am yet to find anything directly from Mal owners just general speying details for all dogs.

Any info would be appreciated. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Frank, Feb 3 11:59 am

Alaskan Malamute > Howling!
Chiquita

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 8:51pm PST 
My Mal lets out a sharp howl/bark thing when she's left outside with the door shut. When she was younger she used to howl for a lot of the day when I left for work but she is getting better. She has problems when she can't see me and is definately neurotic. I have read and started to implement a program. Whenever I leave a room I shut the door between us even if its just to get a drink of water then I return with my water and leave the door open (the bathroom in particular is very good for this as your usually not in there too long). You can then extend the time between partings and eventually your Mal will happily stay outside or in another room without you and will understand that your not gone forever just because they can't see you. Also giving your Mal a bone or toy to play with for 5 minutes outside then letting them in before they get concerned and howl has worked for me. I found I was rewarding her by letting her in when she let out her bark/howl thing. As much as it is nice to know when she's done her business in the evenings and is ready to come in so I can go to bed its not so helpful during the day when I'm not home and she thinks I will let her in if she makes noise.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zuko, Wed 10:43 pm

Alaskan Malamute > what do you feed your mal?

Chiquita

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 8:34pm PST 
My Mal gets bored with food, nothing can be the same two days in a row without her questioning why. She hates anything tinned except the new Fish for Dogs. She's not that into biscuits but she has to have them...Sensitive Skin by Science Diet. She get a variety of poultry products frames, wings, turkey necks, Kangaroo tails and bones from the butcher. I've never given her a trotter as they creep me out and I don't want to pick up the leftover bits for the bin lol.

Since switching her off puppy she now gets homemade mush. I do 4 parts meat (chicken, turkey, pork minces), 3 parts cereal (brown rice mostly), 3 parts veggies (frozen packet).

This was the best ratio I could find online with the huge range of information online. I would love some recipes for non loafstyle mushies like stews or casseroles if you have any smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Loki, May 1 6:31 pm

Alaskan Malamute > Giant Alaskan Malamute vs. Alaskan Malamute

Chiquita

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 8:25pm PST 
My Mal is currently 9 months old and weighs 33.2 kg(72lbs) and is 63-65cm high. She doesn't look overweight to me but her sister is slighter (she was underfed because of competition with other dogs between the ages of 3-6 months though).

I have always fed her puppy food up until a few weeks ago when I read the standard size and realised she was almost at it already. I was told that the puppy food was boosting her growth and so switched her onto adult discuits and continued her bones and chicken routine with added mush (home made) on alternate days.

Her dad was 80kg (176 lbs) (I'm told) and her mother wasn't full grown so its hard to tell what she will be. I hope she still fits through the doggy door full grown...lol
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 2:10 am

Alaskan Malamute > Itchy, scratchy Mal!!

Chiquita

Barked: Mon Jan 11, '10 8:17pm PST 
This is a little outdated but I thought I would add my Mal's skin troubles to this thread. My Mal is now 9 months old and she has always been a scratcher and nibbler. She's very sensitive to flees one bite and she gets a nasty red whelt. She also gets pressure sores easily from laying on the concrete but try as I might she won't move off it and just remove blankets and cushions from it. From what I read this breed can have sensitive skin to sun, flees, grass etc. I have switched my Mal off puppy food now as she is already at the top end of the ideal height and weight (her dad was 80kg I'm told) and put her on sensitive skin biscuits by Science Diet. I'm interested to know whether your dog still has the scratching and nibbling problem? or what did you do to fix it?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bo, Jan 17 10:59 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.