Postings by Ben

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Senior Dogs > How long might she live?
Ben

Barked: Sun Apr 17, '11 4:59pm PST 
There was a pap in my rescue who was 21, a bit doddery but no massive issues. My Shiddie is 18+ and fit as a fiddle, dodgy heart, and yucky skin, but can happily run about with the youngsters.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Ellie CGC, May 6 1:02 am

Grooming > Topknot bows on male dogs
Ben

Barked: Thu Dec 23, '10 4:25pm PST 
I put Ben in bows all the time, but manly bows, blue, camo, leopard print, he looks manly I think!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Mississippi, Dec 25 10:54 pm

Behavior & Training > Is it nicer when I can see?

Ben

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 6:09pm PST 
Ben is a lovely dog all the time, but always seems happier when freshly groomed. I always assumed it's cause he gets a little tangly when he's long haired, but since his last groom I've been extra careful and brushed him as much as I can, no knots at all and he's still upset.
The only thing I can guess is his hair is too long and he can't see properly. Is he sad he can't see properly? I can cut his fringe but I'm so terrible at it and he looks a bit nuts.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ben, Dec 22 6:09 pm

Grooming > Shih Tzu, Wot cut do you get?

Ben

Barked: Fri Sep 3, '10 5:11pm PST 
I just got my elderly shiddie cut and we went mega short (cut in his current pic), his eyes and ears are bad, so its more function than form. The way I see it, comfort comes first, pretty is nice, but as long as they're happy, surely the cut isn't so important?
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Apr 29 3:50 pm

Puppy Place > How old was your puppy when you brought him home?

Ben

Barked: Sun Jul 25, '10 12:03pm PST 
My shiddie puppy Ben came home at 15 years, he lived with his breeder (a puppy farmer) until then. Since he's my best behaved puppy, I think that's the ideal home to bring home a puppy.
laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Aug 21 9:10 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > adopting a senior questions
Ben

Barked: Wed Jun 2, '10 9:50am PST 
I wanted to add a slightly perspective. My Ben is an oldie, not a much loved pet, but a puppy farm stud, he lived his whole life in a cage barely bigger than a cat carrier. When he was rescued the owner didn't know how old he was, just that he was "8 or so", turns out he's more in the range of 12-15 years old, he's had so many ear infections that his ears are scarred closed, he had most of his teeth out, and mange all over. His life expectancy when he came was in months not years, I've had him for 6 months and am thankful for every day we have together.

-- How do you deal with the heartbreak of possibly losing a dog within 1 or 2 years?

The way I see it, that's a selfish view, of course I will be heartbroken if he died, but would it be better if he died alone in a shelter somewhere? He deserves way better.

-- Can you bring a dog of that age into a household of multiple pets and at least have acceptance between all of them?

Ben is too old to be bothered by other animals, he is a laid back cool dude. But either way, shelters are so eager to find homes for oldies they'll happily cat test for you or give you a time to bring your dogs in to meet the new dog. Ben loves everyone, puppies, cats, its all great to him. Some oldies might be snappy with pups, but its a case by case situation.

-- How would you truly know before hand if they get along with other dogs, cats, grandkids?

As before, get assessments done, meet the dog, maybe even try fostering it.

-- Can a dog really learn to love a new person after spending 10-12 years with another?

Ben has never loved another person before rescue as far as I know. Maybe he loved the person who fed him before? I have no clue, but he loves me. He hops around like a puppy when I come home from work, we call it his happy dance, he doesn't do it when anyone else comes, so I'm his special friend.

-- And last but on a practical note, how expensive did you find it healthwise when you adopted this age of a dog?

Ben has been fairly expensive in rescue, I'm very lucky that he's a sponsored dog, so nice people with more money than me pay his vet bills, it's not always the case though, some dogs are fairly healthy, especially those who've always been well cared for, they may need a regular tablet, or a few extra check ups, but every dog will reach that eventually, and any dog can get ill, especially a breed like the Dalmatian which has hereditary issues, in that situation it may even prove cheaper to adopt an older dog who you know has no health issues rather than a youngster who may have HD show up in the first 12 months and have a lifetime of vet visits, painkillers and ops.

Overall, I do hope you go for an oldie if you can, the pay off is amazing, Ben is by far the dog who makes me smile the most, I was ecstatic when he jumped on the sofa for the first time after 4 months, I actually started phoning people to share the good news! I know he won't last forever, but every day I get is a blessing.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ben, Jun 2 9:50 am

Behavior & Training > Coaxing a strange dog.

Ben

Barked: Tue Jun 1, '10 2:45pm PST 
I think from what you are saying I may need help, I've caught up a pointer before and a sibe, both fairly substantial dogs, but this dog is big, tall, muscular, and I must say, he freaks me out a little.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/icklevamp/?action=v iew¤t=SDC10391-1.jpg

That's his picture if it helps (remove any spaces that dogster inserts), he doesn't look aggressive, makes no attempt at approaching my dogs, but has approached the cats and is so gentle with them. I really want to help him, but I can't knock the idea that a lot of these dogs in my area are status dogs, trained to be at least stand off-ish, if not aggressive, and I know dog body language, I've had an aggressive Jack Russell here as a foster, but this dog is just so big.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sanka- I'll Miss You, Jun 1 3:30 pm

Behavior & Training > Coaxing a strange dog.

Ben

Barked: Tue Jun 1, '10 1:04pm PST 
We have a garden visitor who won't leave, and it's a MASTIFF!!!! I'm used to little doggies, not enormous ones, but I need to catch this dog to get it out of my garden and either back to where it came from or into rescue. It really can't stay as a garden pet.
So how can I get it to come to me without scaring the dog or putting myself in danger? How should I go about catching it? I have to admit I'm a little nervous, I trying calling to it and whistling, but it stared at me, so I took a step forward and it ran off.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sanka- I'll Miss You, Jun 1 3:30 pm

Dog Health > Bloodshot eyes

Ben

Barked: Mon May 3, '10 3:29pm PST 
I forgot to update his picture. As a matter of fact he had a full trim this week as I thought the heat was getting to him, so around the eyes are clear.
Picture now updated to show his new trim.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ben, May 3 3:29 pm

Dog Health > Bloodshot eyes
Ben

Barked: Mon May 3, '10 1:54pm PST 
Bens eyes have gone bloodshot today. Is this serious?
The last few weeks he's been more agile than I've ever seen, he's bouncing on and off the sofa like a youngster, I'd never seen him do this until now, he can climb stairs, chase the cats, and is generally bright and cheerful.
Then suddenly today the whites of his eyes turn red. I'm crossing my fingers that it isn't significant.
If it is then I have a bumper vet appointment tomorrow, microchips for Bertie and Misty, boosters for Snaps and Kai, so I'm sure I can stick Ben in there too.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ben, May 3 3:29 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.