Postings by Fredy

GO!

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

Small Dogs > Frenchie n\' Other \"Healthy\" Lil Pooches Flying In Cabin, n\' Carriers Fitting Under Airplane Seats?
Fredy

I'm a Good elf

Barked: Sun Dec 26, '10 6:41pm PST 
Louie, Thanks for telling us..we got that impression about "blunt" wink

This experience sure is educational for us.

We went and looked at the "Tutto" but the medium is 20" L x 13" H x 9" ( The9" seems a bit narrow for us. They say only the small and Medium are airline approved..Some of these bags sure are innovative, albeit pretty pricey. (Fredy, is being a doll about being measured in every conceivable position..over n'over). Kinda wish our frog could be brindle for a day so she'd look smaller. Someone suggested a black bag as well looks smaller. Maybe we can wear a black tee shirtthinking
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 9:25 am

Small Dogs > Frenchie n\' Other \"Healthy\" Lil Pooches Flying In Cabin, n\' Carriers Fitting Under Airplane Seats?
Fredy

I'm a Good elf

Barked: Sun Dec 26, '10 7:08am PST 
Scooter..Ahh I would have never thought about the tags and collar. Thank you as well for the "Slip" Tip!
Looks like American Airlines is more relaxed on soft carrier dimensions, seems JetBlue has a limit of 17" Length frown
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 9:25 am

Fredy

I'm a Good elf

Barked: Sat Dec 25, '10 9:14pm PST 
We Can't begin to thank everyone for your terrific advice. We really are so very appreciative and feel much more relieved! We're going to try to book American, or Jet Blue as we've read many more positive pet friendly reviews on their airlines. We will definitely check in with the french bulldog yahoo group as well. hug Please give your pals a special treat from the Fredy!!

PS. Toby, unfortunately calling the airlines.. .Well, it depends on the agent you speak with as there seems to be some confusion.. . We in truth have a lot more confidence in the advice of tried and true fellow Dogsters wink
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 9:25 am

Fredy

I'm a Good elf

Barked: Sat Dec 25, '10 12:05am PST 
Happy, Safe Holidays Dogster's! We'd tried posting this before in an old thread from more than a year ago.. but it got lost frown
So we're crossing our fingers and trying again..

We really would appreciate some help n' advice..We're preparing for a necessary trip and we're really anxious ..after reading up on all the airline regulations.

Mom weighed me this morning and I weighed in at 22(lbs).
I'm 12" to the top of my tail (shoulders to back)and 12" from the ground to my shoulders.

Mom searched till she was blurry eyed online,and then we called and hiked to Petco, to try a few on for size. Due to the holiday, pickin's were slim. We got in one bag called "The Ultimate Sherpa Bag With (recessed) Wheels" and were thinking it's definitely gotta be a 'small'. Well, mom took out her handy tape measure she'd brought along and found it was 20" and a nice sales person found the tag inside marked "Large". Ouch! ;(
I looked like a cross between "ET" n'"Yoda" with my neck n' my ears stickin out. (I gather when they say stand they don't mean stand and turn around with it closed?)

They say Sherpa Bags, have a tag that says which airlines they are approved for.. but none of the available bags had any tags. It seems they'd all had quite a workout!

When mom zipped the bag.. I wasn't exactly thrilled. I was crouched w/ my head down and could lay down, and turn, but I didn't do a full turn around. I was too busy trying to dig my way out. Although, mom coaxed me with a treat and I showed her I could turn toward the back of it, if I really wanted to. There were no other choices in my size available and we've ultimately tried 3 other stores with no luck.

If there is any other bag that is better suited for me? Please, please do tell mom! She'll need to order it pronto and get me used to the idea.

These are two bags we were looking at. Anyone's thoughts or experience Pro, and or, Con will be much appreciated!

The Ultimate Sherpa Bag On Wheels

Sherpa in Large = 20" L X 11.5" W X 11.75"H.

"Accommodates dogs up to 22lbs"

Studi Bag

18"L x 12" W x 12" Flexible Height
"Accomodates all cat breeds, toy to small dogs up to 25 pounds"

Some people say online in different forums mom read.. that anything over 19" won't fit under the seat of a plane? We've been reading certain domestic airlines are more permissive/flexible with soft bags (It's mentioned on the American Airlines site via the Sherpa link which people may find helpful about their bags airline travel reimbursement guarantee program).

http://www.sherpapetgroup.com/guaranteed_on_board

Meanwhile, We'd really, really appreciate any recent "Frenchie", or other Dogster family members feedback on flying "cobby" built pooches that they'd be willing to share.

Mom was hoping a recessed wheel bag would work, because she isn't really able to lug me around on her shoulders. But mom wants me to be good to go and comfortable and.. is willing to sacrifice for me.

PS.
Also, do people call and book reservation for their pooches flights first and then go online and finalize their peoples reservation/bookings online? It seems that it could be a problem/challenge? Especially, since you can't book a reservation for your pet online. You have to call the airline and reserve for your pet and then pay in person at check-in.

Delta indicated 4 dogs/cats in cabin per flight. Has anyone had to change, or cancel a flight because of this?

Again, Happy Safe and Healthy New Year ALL~!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 9:25 am

French Bulldog > Flying a Frenchie in the cabin?

Fredy

I'm a Good elf

Barked: Thu Dec 23, '10 1:47am PST 
Happy, Safe Holidays Dogster's! We didn't know if we should resurrect this thread, or start a new one..but it had some great info. We are preparing for a trip and we're getting anxious after reading up on all the airline regulations.

Mom weighed me this morning and I weighed 22 (lbs). Seems the Medium Sherpa Bag is the best all around choice but I can't fit in it never mind stand in it when it's zipped. Mom searched till she was blurry eyed online, and then we called and hiked to Petco, to try a few on for size.Due to the holiday the pickin's were slim. We got in one called The Ultimate Sherpa with recessed wheels and were thinking it's definitely gotta be a 'small'..well, maybe a 'medium'. That was until mom took out her handy tape measure she'd brought along and found it was 20".. and a nice sales person found the tag inside marked "Large". Ouch! ;(

I'm 11.75/12" at the shoulders, and when I sat down, looked like a cross between "ET" n' "Yoda" with my neck n' my ears stickin out.

Although, I'm not extra stout I'm a cobby and solid 22 pounds..and I'm 12.5" to the top of my tail (shoulders to back). Sherpa in Large = 20" L X 11.5" W X 11.75"H

When mom zipped the bag.. I wasn't exactly thrilled. I could lay down, and crouch and turn, but I didn't do a full turn around.. .I was too busy trying to dig my way out. Although, mom coaxed me with a treat and I showed her I could turn toward the back of it, if I really wanted to.

If there is any other bag that is better suited for me? Please, please do tell mom! She'll need to order it and get me all comfy about the idea.

Also, how do people book flights online and then add a pooch to their trip? It seems that it could be a problem/challenge? Especially, since you have to call the airline and they have tight limits..Delta indicated 4 dogs/cats in cabin per flight. What if there are no spaces available? Has anyone had to change, or cancel a flight because you couldn't get an accommodation for your pooch after booking online?

We'll be Keeping our fingers crossed..
(Does Amtrak take dogs? Wince)

http://www.petco.com/product/12212/The-Ultimate-Sherpa-Bag -On-Wheels.aspx?cm_mmc=bazaarvoice-_-RLP-_-12212-_-productname_link

Some people say that anything over 19" won't fit under the seat of a plane? A friend of ours flew with her 1l(lb) pooch on Delta today and the stewardess was very adamant the bag not stick out even an 1/2" inch and moved her to a window seat and her bag is a small. The lady next to her was a retired stewardess and had survived more than one plane crash in her career..and told our friend the stewardess was being a bit over zealous. We've been reading American is actually more pet friendly.. and more permissive with soft bags (as it is mentioned on their site via the Sherpa link which people may find helpful wink
http://www.sherpapetgroup.com/guaranteed_on_board

Meanwhile, we'd really, really appreciate any additional experiences "Frenchie", or other Dogster family members have had with their over-sized pooches that they'd be willing to share. Any thoughts or advice about this particular Sherpa bag? We have a 2 hour flight if mom books direct.. Mom was hoping the recessed wheel bag would work, because she isn't really able to lug me around on her shoulders. We called Delta and they gave us 3 different answers..Yes, No and Maybe.

naughtyshrug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ellie, Dec 6 12:39 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > Pet stores
Fredy

I'm a Good elf

Barked: Mon Oct 4, '10 9:52pm PST 
Well through the years we have adopted a few rodents from pet shops and they were amazing little pets. Heck, we would have to go so far as to say they were as smart as dogs (some maybe even smarter)! Unfortunately, they only lived on average 2-3 years but they were happy little guys. In college mom had a friend who had a son with a Boa and I suspect sampson went a bit hungry in moms care because she on occasion adopted his food and gave it names! LOL
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Jack, Oct 20 3:23 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > Where'd you get your dog?

Fredy

I'm a Good elf

Barked: Mon Oct 4, '10 9:39pm PST 
well both came from breeders. It took a lot of patience and hard work to find fredy. Before she'd even arrived we traced out her bloodlines,(sire and dam on both sides),corresponded with everyone under the sun,scrutinized all medical records/clearances etc, and cross referenced them. Spoke to references. Heck, the breeder was as well interviewed by our veterinarians as were their veterinarians. Our Yorkies primary person had sadly passed when she was all of a few months old. Beyond this we have a tripod cat who is a rescue. They all luv one another and sleep in a pile. Our next pooch is going to be a rescue probably from one where we volunteer and walk the Big dogs on weekends smile
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Nov 13 7:24 am

Small Dogs > What is your dog's favorite chews, bones, rawhides?

Fredy

I'm a Good elf

Barked: Mon Oct 4, '10 8:56pm PST 
Our little guys luv their Bullies. We buy 12"Xtra thick sticks individually wrapped by the case and saw/cut them in half! We stopped paying retail (Pheww) and now buy them from a wholesaler online. They were very nice and even threw in a free one to make it an even 26! One case has lasted since last xmas and we still have 5 left which makes it 10 smile
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Holly Belle, Oct 8 2:58 am

Who's Feeling Silly? > M. is for... what breeds does your dog\'s name spell?

Fredy

I'm a Good elf

Barked: Sun Aug 22, '10 11:08pm PST 
Frenchie
Rotti
English Bulldog
Doberman
Yorkiwave
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Ringo, Apr 14 11:07 am

Choosing the Right Dog > AKC Registration- what does it mean?
Fredy

I'm a Good elf

Barked: Sun Jul 18, '10 3:01pm PST 
Well, we also are enrolled in the AKC Companion Animal Recovery System at time of registration. The records reflect All information pertaining to AKC Registration and is available via 24/7 Online Records System. When we signed on the system automatically pulled the data from our AKC Registration Documentation and we filled in the rest. It reflects DOB/Breed/Call Name/Registered Name/Micro Chip ID/Collar Tag ID/Primary Contact and Owners/Veterinary Practice,Addresses/Alternate Contacts, email, phone and physical address etc. The ID tag they issue as well reflects the AKC ID Registration number. And with this is hard copy documentation.

We couldn't help but think..Gee say for example.. a sole veterinary practice might close,records might be moved, displaced or lost, people retire,natural disasters occur (fire etc)..and as well people sadly pass on etc. But with the AKC Cars lifetime Database we feel an added layer of assurance that the records will be readily accessible if and when the need should ever arise providing a well documented cross referenced paper trail.

AKC has after-all been around since 1884.

hug
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Lizzie, CGC, Jul 19 7:58 am

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.