Postings by Oz Moto

GO!

Australian Cattle Dog > Some questions about ACDs\' physiology.

Oz Moto

Velcro has- nothing on me.

Barked: Sat Oct 30, '10 6:39pm PST 
Lol, that sounds about right for ACD's lack of pain recognition.
Oz heard me yell out when I tripped (on a kong ) and fell inside and in 2 seconds flat he was inside. Unfortunately the back door was closed, and his way of opening it resulted in the jamb splintering into pieces.
I read in a ACD blog (gotta find it and post it) that it is completely ineffective to punish an ACD with force (not saying it is ok with any breed) because you would have to cause severe physical damage to them before they figured out they were in trouble. I 100% agree.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Jynx, Dec 12 11:36 pm

Australian Cattle Dog > ACD OWNERS!
Oz Moto

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 1:45pm PST 
I disagree, uneducated dog owners who are too lazy to understand their dogs breed can be pretty dangerous.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Oz Moto, Aug 8 1:45 pm

Oz Moto

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 1:43pm PST 
I disagree, uneducated dog owners who are too lazy to understand their dogs breed can be pretty dangerous.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Oz Moto, Aug 8 1:45 pm

Oz Moto

Barked: Tue Jul 27, '10 10:25pm PST 
Feel free to use any pics from my page, or send me your email and I'll send you some.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Oz Moto, Aug 8 1:45 pm

Australian Cattle Dog > Possible dog for a novice owner?

Oz Moto

Barked: Tue May 25, '10 7:30am PST 
From my experience with my ACD, and from what I have read, they are naturally very suspicious of strangers.
I socialized mine from an early age, he went everywhere with me for the first 7 months after I got him. And I mean EVERYWHERE, he was glued to me 24/7 and exposed to numerous other dogs, people, cats, etc.
Now he is a year old, and while he has never bitten anyone, he is very standoffish to anyone that is not a direct family member. If you are a stranger, he will always position himself between you and me, and never take his eyes off of you.
In the breed standard for ACD's it states " Will have a suspicious glint in the eyes, but must tolerate being handled" That sums it up, if you train them right and socialize the heck out of them they will TOLERATE strangers in front of you. Just don't expect them to be happy Labs that love everyone.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Jul 29 11:12 pm

Australian Cattle Dog > Controlling the nipping on walks
Oz Moto

Barked: Mon May 24, '10 12:42pm PST 
Best way to control nipping is to correctly train your pup from the very beginning. ACD's are bred to bite the heels of Cows, and the instinct is STRONG. So the best way to keep them from biting a human as theywalk, is to teach them that Humans have really soft skin, and are easily hurt by a bite.
Do this by yelping EVERY time the dog mouths you, even as a pup, and even if it doesnt hurt.
Also, redirect the dog to a chew toy and a game to channel the natural drive the dog has.
Remember, when you get a dog that is bred to do something, you better find a job that you will both enjoy for it to do. Otherwise, it will make up its own "job" which can be very frustrating.
I am not saying that this will end all herding instincts, I cannot mow the yard with mine out, and he thinks that he is my "enforcer" and imposes what he thinks is my will on all other animals. If I tell another dog to go lay down, and they don't immediately move, he will run over and try to herd them to where I am pointing.
One thing that I learned, was that a "Settle" Command is very, very, very important for this breed to learn.
I believe it is as important as Sit, Stay, Lay, Drop It.
Also, look into Agility, Frisbee, and Obedience, also there are people that train ACD's in Shutzhund Obedience as well.
Good luck! ACD's are pests sometimes, but if you spend the proper time and give them an activity DAILY to do, they are the best darn dogs around!!hail
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Oz Moto, May 24 12:42 pm

Australian Cattle Dog > ACD Agility Training Age.

Oz Moto

Barked: Sat Nov 7, '09 11:04am PST 
I have heard numerous different ages to start training for agility, due to hips, shoulder development. As of now we are doing low jumps, and balance, but not the poles yet. What is an appropiate age to start?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kona, Dec 8 1:40 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.