GO!

(Page 1 of 16: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  

Food & Nutrition > Need some food recs
Akasha

We are trying to- sleep here!

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 4:11pm PST 
Jellybeann, I was thinking Acana may be a good option too. I feed Orijen to mine so I def like the company. I think I do tend to get hung up on telling them to go grain free. They have been so set on feeding the dog a high carb food, going grain free just seems so drastic.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 18 9:03 pm

Akasha

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 4:08pm PST 
Sorry maybe I was not clear, I have no intention on changing her food. Specially without their consent. They are aware that something has to change and I just want to be able to have some ideas on different food for them.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 18 9:03 pm

Akasha

Barked: Mon Sep 16, '13 2:31pm PST 
I currently have a family members dog due to a family issue. It is not long( prob another week or two) but wanted some food ideas. I do some rescue work and I have pretty much been on the grain free bandwagon for years. I have not fostered a dog that did not do well on it. But their dog does throw me for a loop a bit. I won't change her food without their consent but would like to have some other brands to show them when they get back to town.

Right now they feed her Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Gastro Intestinal Fiber Response Dry Dog Food. She is an extremely high energy dog. She also needs to be feed a little bit every couple of hours otherwise she will vomit bile. To say this dog is lean is an understatement. She is a golden ret/poodle mix. So lucky she has some hair to be "fuller" but when you touch her, she is truly skin and bones. I have even looked into megaesophagus as she is just too thin, but it just doesn't fit. She will chew on her paws, but they have been told by their vet she is allergic to grass. She also appears to have some stomach issues. Their other dog, a 13 yr old golden had a stroke a few weeks ago(she is still with us and doing well now) but when it happened, the dog with stomach issues, had major diarrhea and couldn't keep food down. Their vet prescribed a med and she is doing much better. She does also take pepcid(cvs brand) twice daily.

Personally, I would like them to go to another vet. I think a second opinion at least would be good. But at this point I would like to try and convince them to try a food switch(since I know another vet is not an option).

This is not a new issue. The dog is 4 years old and they have been dealing with it since she was a puppy. The food they have now is based on everything their vet has told them and what she has been able to tolerate over the years. With that said, they have only ever fed food from their vet(Science diet etc). Not a food I would recommend or consider high quality.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Sep 18 9:03 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My Darling Akasha

Akasha

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 6:14pm PST 
Thank you all so much for the support. So far it just isn't getting easier. Although I know it will, I just still miss her so much.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 6 6:14 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My Darling Akasha

Akasha

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 1:43pm PST 
I guess it is fitting that Dogster brought you into my life and I say goodbye here too.

I have rescued many, but the day I saw a posting in the doberman forum, I knew I had to act. They were trying to find a home for you since they could not afford your care and you needed urgent medical treatment. You are and always will be the best thing that has happened to me. The day I picked you up, was the day you picked me up. I needed you as much as you needed me. I take solace in the fact that my actions got you almost 4 more years. But I do feel so cheated and you were as well. I drove grate lengths to get you and would still drive to the moon and back to save you.

I love you so much.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Mar 6 6:14 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Smokey Foster GREAT NEWS....
Akasha

Barked: Sat May 21, '11 10:27am PST 
Awww CONGRATS! I was thinking about Smokey the other day so I am very excited to see this! blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jun 6 7:45 pm

Local Tips, Playdates & Meetups > Whalon Lake, Hammel Woods, and Messenger Marsh Dog Parks (IL)

Akasha

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 6:08pm PST 
Sanka, where exactly is this? We are always looking for a day trip or adventure.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 14 7:08 pm

Dogster Railroad > On the road with Toto and Smokey

Akasha

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 11:29am PST 
Safe travels! It is a great sunny and warm day for driving in Illinois today, so paws crossed the weather holds for you. blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 180 posts. Last posting by , Mar 22 7:58 am

Dog Health > Fish, Flax, Safflower & Olive Oils

Akasha

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 6:42pm PST 
Adam, I am actually aware of the benefits of the omega's and a proper diet. We have systematically eliminated everything from allergies, thyroid, her tumors even skin infections, food and more. I have already resignated to the fact that she is going to have a thin, dry coat, as she now is fully healthy otherwise. However this was the first time anything seemed to make a difference. She already also gets plenty of sardines and fish toppers as well that I am actually willing to risk it. She also has been on some good kibble(solid gold, orijen, wellness) and she has done best on NB LID and thats what she is on now. She also gets RMB periodically as well.

Are you in dobe rescue? I saw your pic on one of the revamped dobe sites through one of my groups.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 28 7:14 am

Dog Health > Fish, Flax, Safflower & Olive Oils
Akasha

Barked: Sun Feb 27, '11 6:21pm PST 
Thanks Stella! I really like the wholistic site. Have you ever tried the kelp from there? Akasha's NB LID doesn't have it in it and my research is leading me to add that as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 28 7:14 am

(Page 1 of 16: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.