GO!

(Page 1 of 34: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Recent bout of Separation Anxiety
Lucy

is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 5:46am PST 
HI Chloe

I apprecitate your response and suggestion...and it's something my vet and I spoke about yesterday, but we both agreed that for her safety it's best to not let her have free reign of the house, since she could go through a window or scratch at the outside door, just as your pup did. Completely dog proofing our main level would be quite expensive and undesirable. We have LOTS of bookshelves, knick-knacks, etc. Its a 100 year old house with lead paint and plaster walls and an open floor plan so I can't really close her in anywhere with out installing more gates and doors etc. Long ago, when i was a complete naive dog owner thats what we did. I came to chewed up books, chewed up rugs, 2 avacados missing (vet visit!) and felt the wrath of my wife red face I do think she'd behave herself but i want to set my dog up for success - and not assume she'll be perfect when we're not home

My vet and I concluded that getting a DAP plug-in at the top of the stairs and/or installing a chain-link/wrought iron gate at the bottom of the steps - something thats bolted in with a latch would be a great place to start. Along with that -counter conditioning her to leaving - as in actually going throught the routine on weekends from putting on my coat, jingling keys, closing the outside door, openeing the garage door, closing the garage door, starting the car, opeing the overhead garage door, shutting the overhead garage door and actually driving away. All things she defintitely hears and expects. Then return home let her out of the basement, take her outside (all while not looking at her or touching her). Once she goes poddy, take her back inside and then say hello, give her a pat or two, and act like nothing ever happened.

We are fairly sure the trigger of her set-back was being home and having lots friends over during the holidays (we had out of town friends staying in our spare bedrooms) - so she got LOTS of attention. Everyone loves Lucy and she loves everyone right back.

On another positive note - its been 3 days now where i've come home and theres been no scratching or drool puddles. The winning streak continues! I'm sure she's back into her routine. We also set up a televsion down there and that could adding to her comfort-for whatever reason.

My vet gave me the numebr to the U of Minnesota vet and behavioral clinic. I plan on calling them soon. Oh and my vet did all of this over the phone, for free. Nice guy! He really does care, i can tell.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Wesley, Jan 18 10:00 pm

Lucy

is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Wed Jan 12, '11 1:56pm PST 
I plan on gating off the stairway altogether this weekend. Ive tried in the past to do that with baby gates (which have been destroyed) and tension gates (which are no match for her). I've also thought about just sectioning her off to just the laundry-room portion of the basement...which is more or less a 12ft x 12ft room...and thats where her crate currently is. Thats a good idea, thanks.

If it's any consolation, there was no sign of struggle today. No drool or puddles. Just a happy dog rather than a dilated wide eyed nervous wreck. Hopefully we're on a winning streak.

Thanks again for the support and/or ideas. I'm sure Lucy will appreciate them too dog
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Wesley, Jan 18 10:00 pm

Lucy

is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Wed Jan 12, '11 11:37am PST 
"She sounds bored." This may as well be the case, but I think of all the dogs that are crated all day and do just fine. She has toys, treats, televsion, and her lil cat friend Oliver to play with in her giant basement. This is why I'm inclined to feel like its a "mental" or "chemical" issue. She gets her 2 walks a day. She gets to romp in the snow when i get home from work. She gets belly rubs, and tug of war games, etc. If i had money to afford doggy daycare i'd do it. But right now we need to save up for baby daycare that is in our near future smile

"Also I see on her profile that you believe her to be part Great Pyrs, has something else changed in the house or your lives that could have made the guardian/protector part of that breed come out in her and that's why she so badly needs to be with you?"
Great point! However i can assure you nothing has changed. We've lived in our house for nearly two years and Lucy has been with us the entire time.

I'm beginning to think this could be a winter thing... kind of like Seasonal Adjustment Disorder or something...it's dark longer, its colder.

Anyone have any reco's for a behavioralist in the Twin Cities area?
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Wesley, Jan 18 10:00 pm

Lucy

is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Wed Jan 12, '11 5:45am PST 
"you do realize that piling brass panel on top of wood fortification onto the door is just masking the symptoms, right?"

Yup, which is why I'm inquiring about the meds/DAP. Not allowing her to scratch into the wood is better than letting her do it, in my opinion.

Also, this only recently resurfaced after the Holiday break, since i was home for nearly 2 weeks straight, snowed in, and we had a grand ole time. The prior bout of SA happened nearly a year prior to this...and promptly went away after I put up the plate. I think that since she's able to do damage to the door it gives her some "hope" of getting through, further exascerbating the problem.

When looking at other sites about SA, the only other symptoms she displays besides the scratching and panting is sticking by my side or "deep staring" - going into the sit position and focusing intently, for the first 10 minutes i get home. Since we go for a walk immediately upon my arrival home, she goes back to her normal, slightly aloof self, which is watching out the window or laying in the porch.

I really wish some certified behavioralists visited this site. If you are one- feel free to PM me and we can chat.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Wesley, Jan 18 10:00 pm

Lucy

is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Wed Jan 12, '11 4:28am PST 
Setback it is...which is why i'm inquiring about meds/DAP. There's gotta be someone that has used them and can report back to me with their effectiveness.

Lucy has plenty of toys and a stuffed kong, as well as some other treats that i like to hide around. Sometimes they're eaten, sometimes not.

Glad to hear Hazel has been doing better!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Wesley, Jan 18 10:00 pm

Lucy

is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Tue Jan 11, '11 3:05pm PST 
Hello all! It been a looooooong time since i visited this website, and quite frankly it because Lucy has been nearly perfect! However, in the past couple months she's been acting up, especially since the holidays are over and my wife and I are back at work full time.

We both work from 7 am to 3pm and during this time Lucy is in our basement with a crate to lay in (which stays open), a couch to lay on, and a doggy bed as well. She has about a total of 900 sq ft at her disposal. There is a plethora of toys for her to chew on (nylabones) ropes, stuffed kongs, and other various squeeky toys. If you ask me, she has quite the bachelorette pad down there smile

About a year ago she started a habit of scratching at the door and sleeping at the top of the landing, eagerly waiting our arrival home. It was on and off, sometimes there would be some wood chips, sometimes just a puddle of drool from, my guess is, heavy panting. So I covered up the scratches with a brass kickplate and that solved it for quite a long while.

Recently, as i the past month, she gone into full-bore scratching nearly everyday, paws soaking wet from drool, toenails wore down, neck SOPPING wet from drool and the top three steps have a permanent damp feel with a smell of pine emanating from her digging through half of a solid 5 panel door. If it was a door that was made in the last 20 years i guarantee she would have made it through. You know that brass kickplate I installed? Well its still there but above it is a 1/4 inch groove from her digging and digging.

So last week i found some 6" x 6" tile flooring and installed it about 3 feet up from the bottom of the door and there is no more scratching, but still a giant puddle accompanied by a heavily panting and anxious/excited dog.

My question for all you is how would you deal with this? Do i go straight to the Meds? Get a DAP collar?

Now, in anticipation of some of your suggestions:
- She sleeps down there at night and has NEVER once barked
- She has NEVER once scratched at night
- She gets two walks a day - before and after work, EVERYDAY
-Along with the walks she gets to run laps around the house in our chain linked fenced in yard
-She gets fed morning and night...in the basement
-When we're home she has free reign of the whole house, and in the summer months she CHOOSES to hang out on the basement where it nice and cool, on her own.
-When we are about to leave the house, all we say is, "We're wrapping it up Lucy" or "Kennel up"and she goes straight downstairs with very very very little hesitation.
-She CANNOT be crate trained. We have tried. The rescue place where we adpoted her from has tried. She has busted out of a crate with 3 padlocks on it before, resulting in a broken canine.
-She does not go poop or pee in the basement anymore and hasn't for over a year
-She does not chew on the wood table or storage shelves or my workbench downstairs

Is this separation anxiety? Or is this a determined dog who loves to scratch and loves the smell of pine?

This post has become too long...i better wait and see what some of you have to say.

Thanks in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Wesley, Jan 18 10:00 pm

Behavior & Training > A general observation, and sincere question...

Lucy

is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 7:55am PST 
Couple things come to mind...

First, many people on these forums tend to rescue/adopt more than buy from breeders. That more or less means they are adopting a dog with "problems" already, and would rather use R+ training methods to make the transition easy on the dog. Then the same people are also asking for help on how to fix their newly-adopted dogs' problems. Thats the coorelation I see.

Secondly, this is a social forum where many come to make friends, act silly, and talk dog. Many people say/recommend things that make them look good rather than admit to the training they actually subscribe too. Everybody on here loves dogs and many want to prove it by saying "I only use R+" even when at home they pop leashes, scream no, hover over their dog in intimidation to get to to listen, etc. Social networks brings out the "fake" in people...to put it bluntly red face

Lastly, in regards to your question "Can R+ be damaging too?, i'd say No, it's not damaging to the dog's spirit, but it can be damaging to the owners patience smile Then the relationship can get strained and lead to mistrust or non-complience.

Whats most important is how the dog responds to the training you choose. When you pop the leash, does the dog cower in fear or does it make him more excited? When you use a clicker, does the dog listen or is he not motivated by food? When you give your dog a time-out, does he become destructive and make you more angry or does he settle down?
If you've found success using a particualr method, that's great, kudos to you.
[notify]
» There has since been 67 posts. Last posting by , Jun 19 7:00 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > pure white breeds

Lucy

is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Wed Jun 16, '10 9:34am PST 
Many Great Pyrs have St.Benrard-like markings on their face and sides when they are young. As they grow older, the color fades and looks mostly white. Even Lucy's orange spots are fading which makes me believe even more that she's half pyr.

And if i'm not mistaken, Great pYrs and Kuvasc are "pretty much" the same thing. My neighbor claims to own a Kuvasc but its identical to any pyr i've seen before...
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Kris, Jun 25 1:47 pm

Behavior & Training > Irresponsible/ignorant owners on walks... I'm thinking of building myself a cave and ....

Lucy

is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Wed Jun 16, '10 6:08am PST 
Just don't let them get under your skin. Personally, I avoid Dog Parks because the cons outweigh the pros. There's too much risk of my dog being aggressive to others dogs and vice versa. There's always going to be an owner that you want to "educate". There's going to be a dog that makes you want to scream. There's going to be a puppy that you want to take home secretly smile The list goes on....

Sorry you had to encounter a clueless dog ownwer...but i promise you, she won't be the last
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Tsuki, Kit, Kiba & Buckley, Jun 18 6:27 am

Food & Nutrition > Taste of the wild?
Lucy

is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Fri Jun 11, '10 7:31am PST 
Yup, sure is worth it. Thank dog for farm supply stores. Its 41 dollars after tax btw wink
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Samson, Jun 21 9:28 am

(Page 1 of 34: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.