Postings by Brisbee

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Behavior & Training > WILD DOG LAYS DOWN TO DIE WHEN PUT ON A LEAD
Brisbee

12/25/95 to- 11/18/2012

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 7:54am PST 
I was pretty scared when I was taken in. It took me about 10 years to really get comfortable with a leash and being touched. Anyway, a fence will take care of your car chasing problems. If you are in the country, T posts and field fence is pretty inexpensive and can make a reasonable dog run.

As to getting used to the leash, I would use conditioning. Good things occur when the leash is in sight. They continue to occur when it gets clipped onto the collar. I would go slow and never let the leash pull at all just get used to seeing it and wearing it. Once your dog gets used to seeing it and wearing it, you can teach loose leash walking.

Good Luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Brisbee , Oct 6 7:54 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Tima passed today
Brisbee

12/25/95 to- 11/18/2012

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:16pm PST 
hug That sounds a lot like what happened to me. I am sorry for your loss.hug
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Xena (1999-2012), Jan 17 2:58 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > :-( I passed away today.

Brisbee

12/25/95 to- 11/18/2012

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 3:25pm PST 
Thank you, your kind responses made my person feel better. It just took a while to come back here and a little longer to let me post again.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Xena (1999-2012), Jan 17 3:14 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Had to put my 15 year old keeshond down .

Brisbee

12/25/95 to- 11/18/2012

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 8:16pm PST 
cryhug I'm so sorry.hug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Nov 30 4:43 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Lost my baby

Brisbee

12/25/95 to- 11/18/2012

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 12:56pm PST 
hughugcryhug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Nov 30 4:45 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > :-( I passed away today.
Brisbee

12/25/95 to- 11/18/2012

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 12:38pm PST 
I was having a nice day yesterday, a little slow and stiff but a good day. Yesterday afternoon I had a stoke, spell, or something. My legs stopped working all of a sudden. I was made comfortable and spent time with my people. Today Sunday 18 2012 I went to sleep and left for the great wheel. I left sadness behind, but I will go onto my next life with the knowledge that I was a good dog.
Brisbeelittle angel
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Xena (1999-2012), Jan 17 3:14 pm

Dog Health > Heartworm preventative resistance?

Brisbee

12/25/95 to- 11/18/2012

Barked: Mon Sep 3, '12 7:40am PST 
I got HW while on preventative. My vet thinks I got a little fat and was on to small a dose for a few months. It can also go wrong if a dog vomits or secretly spits out the pill. However, that said, I wouldn't be surprised if we are getting some resistant strains, especially down here in the south where they are active all year.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Sep 3 3:21 pm

Dog Health > Heartworm pill and vomiting question

Brisbee

12/25/95 to- 11/18/2012

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 4:02am PST 
Good point Adam,
We live in the deep south. It can be 70 degrees in the middle of December and the sketers wake up, but if it is freezing where you live, you probably could skip a month, but I would ask your vet, he will have a better idea of the infestion in your area.

I don't think a few days will cause a problem and it may be you had the meds down long enough to absorb them, again a question for your vet.

Good Luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (R.I.P.), Dec 2 2:29 pm

Dog Health > Heartworm pill and vomiting question

Brisbee

12/25/95 to- 11/18/2012

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 5:24pm PST 
I would call your vet, any laps in protection can mean infection. I have heartworms. I never missed a dose, my vet thinks I may have vomited, spit it out or something and got infected.

Luckily it is a mild case, my preventative kept it from getting worse and they expect my one or two worms to clear in the next six or eight months. (I have been positive about a year now)
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (R.I.P.), Dec 2 2:29 pm

Dog Health > Spongie\'s Heartworm treatment...
Brisbee

12/25/95 to- 11/18/2012

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 12:13pm PST 
hug I have heart worm too. I am older and my vet put me on the slow kill treatment for fear the regular treatment would kill me.

Luckily I don't have many worms in my heart and hopefully they won't do too much damage. cry

Any dog can get heartworms, all it takes is being bitten by an infected mosquito. I eat grain free food and raw meat. I am well cared for and on preventative.(No, being on HW preventative does no repress one's immune system. That is sheer fantasy) I got a little over weight or maybe vomited one of my doses and got exposed. The monthly preventative kept me from getting badly infected. The worms were not able to multiply so I only have one or two and I did not cause any other poor dogs to be at risk.

I agree, not giving preventative when one lives in an area in which heartworms occur is playing Russian roulette with one's dog. Being healthy will not prevent a dog from getting infected.
[notify]
» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, Jun 27 1:29 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.