Postings by Guest ID 795816

GO!

Dachshund > pain in the neck!

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 4:03pm PST 
Check out the site for Dodgerslist. It has tons of info on IVDD.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 13 4:03 pm

Food & Nutrition > Food change after recalls

Barked: Sat May 26, '12 6:12pm PST 
Has anyone tried Infinia Holistic? My dogs have always been on TOTW & now I'm scared of anything concerning Diamond. I tried this one because price is about the same & the Bison formula seems a lot like TOTW ingredients. The kibbles even look the same and I don't think my dogs have noticed a difference. I've heard some people have a problem with this food because it's made by PMI Industries(not familiar with but think it is a subsidiary of Purina?). Any thoughts or experience with this food?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lady (1999-2013), May 29 9:30 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Is this a balanced diet? (mixed with small amt of high quality kibble)

Barked: Mon May 21, '12 5:51am PST 
Thanks for reply. Will try the egg shells. Do you just grind up the uncooked shells? Never thought of oysters either - probably because I don't like them! Yes I worry about too much liver since I've heard shouldn't feed dogs a lot of organ meats but chicken livers are so cheap I like to include a lb at least (Kroger sells them for under $1.00) Also, all my dogs are older & do get supplements daily of glucosamine/chondroitin/msm and ester C.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maxwell, May 21 8:49 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Is this a balanced diet? (mixed with small amt of high quality kibble)

Barked: Sun May 20, '12 4:29pm PST 
I occasionally cook up this concoction for my dogs to mix with their kibble:
1 1b ground beef, 1 lb ground turkey, chicken livers or sometimes beef liver, some type fish(mackerel, salmon), rolled oats or brown rice, sometimes sweet potatoes, olive oil, fish oil and/or flaxseed oil, spinach, broccoli, eggs, blueberries, garlic, with usually a dose of turmeric, fennel seeds & a dash of cinnamon. (after blending it all together my husband calls it Soylent Green - for you older guys like us who remember the movie-cause that's what is looks like- but all the dogs absolutely love it) If I cut out the kibble what should I add for a complete diet?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, May 21 8:49 am

Dog Health > Hypothyroidism in dachshund

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '12 7:52am PST 
Thanks for the feed back. I re-checked the TOTW bag & it says 3/4 to 1 & 1/2 cups per day for 10-20 lb dogs. I give the same amount to my other 3 dachshunds & they have no weight problems & great coats. Also I have an 80 lb Golden Mix that gets 3 cups a day - 1 1/2 twice a day & she is 11 & in great shape. I do use a real measuring cup & the small ones actually get a 'tad' less than the 1/2 cup each feeding so total is more like between 3/4 & 1 cup a day. I do occasionally give them home cooked or good canned food over their kibble but I cut the kibble in 1/2 and as I said no problem with other dogs. If I feed him any less he may start trying to eat the cat!(LOL) I have to feed him separately so he won't gobble his down & go after the others food. Just keep hoping this medicine may start helping or don't know what I'll do. Unfortunately, I can't keep paying for more & more tests..Oh & husband & I also walk him every day more than the others thinking he maybe needed more exercise but no change either.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 20 7:52 am

Dog Health > Hypothyroidism in dachshund

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 8:41am PST 
My 7 yo 'tweenie'doxie(20lbs now but should be about 17lbs)has over the past year gotten fatter with a big pot belly, thinning hair & food aggressive (lives to steal food if you aren't paying attn for 1 second/trying to get in garbage/etc). My vet did $300+ in blood work-ups - nothing to indicate cushings & didn't indicate hypothyroidism either. Blood work did show high cholesterol(which I've read does come with H-Thyroidism) Vet went ahead & put him on .3mg of Soloxine a day to see if it would help & also has me giving him small dosage of melatonin a day. She said if this doesn't help will have to do more tests. Unfortunately, I just don't have funds to 'keep' doing tests. Anyone been through this before and have any input or suggestions? (By the way - he eats mainly TOTW - & gets 1/2 cup in a.m. & 1/2 in afternoon. The same as my other doxies who have no weight problems and all get same exercise. Plus they all stay on supplements-glucosamine/msm/chondroitin & ester c for back disk help)
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 20 7:52 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.