Postings by Guest ID 353143

GO!

(Page 1 of 93: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Sports & Agility > Hanging ribbons

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 7:22pm PST 
I use those magnet strips used to put knives or spice containers on. Ribbons with metal already stick to it. The rest I use tiny magnets to hold them up. Can't put that many ribbons on it, but you can always change out the older ones for newer ones and store the older ones.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Feb 1 5:27 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Vests/Cape for hot humid weather
Kyuu, S.T.A.R., CGC

Got to Play

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 1:57pm PST 
What are the recommendations for a SDiT who lives in hot and humid environments? As it is my pup has a fluff coat and is (I am assuming) slowly blowing his pup coat. (If you can tell me when this will end, I would love to know.)

I assume a mesh vest? Is there one recommended or one that someone uses that they like? Do you normally buy a new one when your dog becomes a SD? And is there a mesh with pockets? I love how some of the vests (or I guess harness might be the correct term) has pouches, rings, etc.

Although we have not gone to places where dogs are not allowed, but I am sure we will be some time this month. She has already mentioned looking around to see what I would like on him but not that I needed one yet.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by LEK Daphne, SD, Aug 7 10:57 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Head Collars

Kyuu, S.T.A.R., CGC

Got to Play

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 12:12pm PST 
Okay, so it is just a matter of preference.

I would have gone with a front clip harness if pulling was an issue (which isn't in itself one), but the problem right now is his focus and dealing with distractions. So I am hoping to use the head collar in the meantime to help make training sessions more productive. I haven't tested the head collar yet out in public since I rather go slow and make sure he is comfortable with it on. I think I should have switched to the head collar sooner.

I found if I combed his face prior to putting on the head collar it helps. His top bang does come down, but not as bad as I thought if I comb it. His adult coat seems to be coming in better on his head so it doesn't look so fuzzy as it was. But if I do notice his vision is becoming impaired I will make sure to do something about it.

And yes, I am liking the design on the snoop loop more than the halti. Hm. very interesting. Too bad it looks like I would have to order it online instead of being able to try it on in a store before purchasing.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 2 12:12 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Head Collars

Kyuu, S.T.A.R., CGC

Got to Play

Barked: Mon Aug 1, '11 8:48pm PST 
I am a little confused on head collars. I have heard Gentle Leaders mentioned more often than any other brand of head collars for use with SDiT and SDs. Is there a reason for this?

I went to Petsmart to buy a head collar and have always had a preference for the Halti. But I only found the Holt Walking Collar by Top Paw which seems to be similar to what I remember the Halti being.

I also have another concern with the head collars I never thought of. My dog has a very fuzzy head... and in front of the eyes too. So I try to smooth down his hair in front of the eye when fitting the head collar on. Anyone else have this problem with furry faces? It is not like I can trim the hair in front of his eyes though... and I will not do that. It is not supposed to be trimmed at all. Even without the head collar his bangs and hairs are all over the place. I am almost tempted to put a pink bow in his hair to keep his bangs out of his face...haha
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Aug 2 12:12 pm

Raw Food Diet > RAW diet for a Chihuahua

Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 3:16pm PST 
For dogs I had under 5 pounds, smallest was almost 3 pounds they ate primarily cornish game hen and quail for their bone content. Just to give you a rough estimate, they would eat 100% of a quail, 90% of a game hen, and maybe 80% of a chicken. On a chicken my smallest dog would be able to eat all the bone excluding the middle of long bones and part of the back. Of course their meals included plenty of different kinds of meats, but when it came to bones they were only poultry.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Paris-- CGC & Therapy Dog, Jun 24 8:06 pm

Raw Food Diet > Bite-Sized Training Treats?
Kyuu, S.T.A.R., CGC

Got to Play

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 6:17am PST 
When Kyuu was very young and impressionable I using 200+ treats in a day. Even cutting Zukes into 4 pieces was too many treats to offer him in a day as junk food, so I made the decision of putting him on Orijen puppy so that he could get his food as a reward. So for 2 months he was on mostly kibble, which was received as the treat reward and not normal meals in a bowl.

But now that he is older and I have established good manners, he doesn't need as many treats. Plus I can now use a toy as a reward. So he is 100% back on raw. I have used these treats so far:
- Orijen puppy food. I still use it. Easy shape to pop quickly into pup's mouth. I dislike the residue on my hand and smelling like kibble however. But the plus side is that it has nutrition to it. If you want a tossing treat for the pup to chase, this is great. But otherwise a pain if you want the treat to stay in one place when tossed.
- Zukes. Early on I was cutting it into 4 pieces which is time consuming. But now I chop them in half since he is bigger and doesn't get as many. At half size they are easy enough to move in your hand to quickly pop into mouth. Make sure you store it well or it dries out.
- Old Mother Hubbard Bitz. Comparable to Zukes. Has different flavors.
- Wellness Pure Rewards. I cut these into 6-9 pieces. Again, time consuming to do that. They are a bit chewier than Zukes or Hubbard though so I find my pup chews a little longer.
- Blue Buffalo Blue Bits. Heart shaped treats. I cut these in half, but they make an awkward shape to roll in your hand.
- Cooked Chicken. You have to cook it first, store it, and use it before it goes bad. Makes your hand wet too when using it. It annoys me to shred pieces to reward my pup. But he does like it and is better as a toss treat since it just goes plop on the ground without rolling 10 feet away, unless you want your pup to chase the treat a little as part of the fun.

Of the treats I have used, I will probably stick with the kibble and Zukes. I will probably try string cheese too, but warm weather and warm pocked can make it messy. There are other soft treats I am going to try out. But basically when it comes to treats I look for something that is tasty to the dog, can be eaten quickly, and rolls well in my hand so I can have many pieces in my hand and pop one treat at a time.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Loki, Jun 2 5:06 pm

Raw Food Diet > Switching to one large meal.

Kyuu, S.T.A.R., CGC

Got to Play

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 7:14am PST 
Keep in mind that if your dog is conditioned to eat at a specific time every day, a sudden change from getting food to no food at that specific time may cause your dog to vomit yellow bile. To prevent this, ensure he gets a little something instead of all of a sudden nothing.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, May 31 5:55 pm

Raw Food Diet > Holy Poop!

Kyuu, S.T.A.R., CGC

Got to Play

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 4:46am PST 
Kyuu was getting a cup or two of Orijen as treats when he was younger since I was rewarding him a ton. But yes, the poop was larger, more odious, and more frequent. Now that he is a bit older he is almost exclusively raw fed and he only poops once a day, smaller, odorless, firm poop. It is hard to get away from raw feeding when you realize you are never going to have easier to clean-up after your dog.

And oh my god. You should smell a cat litter box when they are on kibble and when they are on raw. Huge difference. Same goes for odor a ferret produces too. Raw makes a huge difference for them too. Kibble = stink bomb.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 31 4:46 am

Raw Food Diet > Raw Meaty Bones

Kyuu, S.T.A.R., CGC

Got to Play

Barked: Fri May 27, '11 7:24pm PST 
Okay, so beef ribs might be okay for him. Otherwise I guess I just stick to chicken bones then. I am thinking chicken neck might encourage him to swallow... but would work fine for my smaller dog and I guess the cats too.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 27 7:24 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw Meaty Bones
Kyuu, S.T.A.R., CGC

Got to Play

Barked: Thu May 26, '11 1:01pm PST 
I have had small dogs when I first started raw so I have only had to deal with raw feeding smaller dogs. I would use chicken, game hen, and quail to provide the bone part of the diet. But what can my growing pup who is 20 pounds now and may be 30 pounds as an adult handle safely (excluding pork parts)? Or will it be okay to just continue using mostly chicken for the bone part?

How safe is feeding chicken neck and back I find at the stores? It has some meat on it but not a whole lot compared to a drum stick. Right now his diet is more than 50% chicken. As it is chicken bone-in parts (drum, thigh, breast) have meat on it so I can only add so much beef to his diet.

I want to add more red meats to his diet, but either I need to use boney chicken parts with not a lot of meat or find red meat bones that are safe for him.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 27 7:24 pm

(Page 1 of 93: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.