Postings by Guest ID 1193565

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Health > scared for akita
Zeus

Barked: Thu May 22, '14 1:40pm PST 
I have a 10 month old male akita who doesn't stop scratching and biting his back legs, he nibbles on his front paws but not to the extend of the rears. He has ripped all of the fur off his back legs and still continues to bite and chew on them. He also scratches all over too.

I had his vet do a skin scrape in multiple locations in order to check for mites or anything but came back negative and he is on flea preventive so that isn't it. His food hasn't changed so I don't think that it is possible a food allergy took 6 months before it kicked in. Any ideas how to help him? I
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zack, Jun 3 12:14 pm

Food & Nutrition > HELP with AKITA diet
Zeus

Barked: Sun May 4, '14 6:36pm PST 
thank you for every much for all your replies, I will go back to Raw feeding then. He just lost interest in it, for the first month and a half he would eat whatever I put in front of him (chicken, beef, duck, fish,pork,turkey) but then one day he just decided not to eat it-- I thought it was just a fast but after 3 days of not eating he would just take little bites basically just enough to get by (.25-.5 pounds at day if that).

After a week of him not eating it I figured it was just not the diet for him and went back to crappy kibble which he doesn't leave a drop. Also he wouldn't eat ANY organ meat which I know is very important unless it was cooked. I don't have time to cook my own meals with work, working out,traveling and dog training so the added time to cook his meals just isn't possible. I was also told that he needed extra fiber, zinc etc that would be from the feathers or fur from raw prey so I was even more worried considering he wouldn't touch offal. Ideally I would need to feed a RAW diet consisting of mostly chicken and pork as that is all that is under 6.99 a pound
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by River, May 5 2:08 pm

Food & Nutrition > HELP with AKITA diet

Zeus

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '14 7:30pm PST 
First, thanks to everyone on these forums you are awesome!

I have a 10 month old Akita (American and Japanese if it matters) who has allergies and I just feel so bad for him. All I want to know is what do you feed your Akitas or what is best for them?!

He chews on his legs and feet to the point they are lacking fur and scratches all over. He doesn't have fleas or anything like that, I fed him raw for three months and didn't notice the non stop itching or biting but due to not being able to get the meat anymore from butcher I feel a quality kibble is a better choice then store bought meat (due to salt content). What is the best kibble for Akitas as the breeder feeds Royal Canin but I feel that has too much fillers

My vet said it is due to lack of Zinc in his diet but I think that is BS because she told me that before blood work and called after blood work to say everything is okay.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by River, May 5 2:08 pm

Behavior & Training > Help with my bullmastiff

Zeus

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '14 1:50pm PST 
I would say that is this a problem that will take a fair bit of time to fix not just an over night thing so I hope you have a lot of patience! To start you need to see what causes the roots of his aggression which may be hard for you to point out.
Is it a fear of all other dogs? Fear of people? - which doesn't sound the case. Is he trying to protect the property? You said when they come to close to the fence what if you are not on your yard what is the situation?
I have an Akita who is very reactive in the sense that he wants to play with every dog and person BUT when on his territory it is aggression based on the fact he wants to be protective.
Once you have found the root of the problem it will be easier to advise you how to fix it, best of luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 30 1:33 pm

Behavior & Training > need help with very dog reactive dog

Zeus

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '14 9:10am PST 
as my post was already really long I didn't add in ALL the details. He is raised with a large Collie and plays with a Sheppard on a weekly basis.Zeus just thinks it is a game and ignores the warning signs of growls and air snaps, when the dogs try to teach him how to play. It is his way or no way basically. I taught how to play with humans but as I am not a dog it is hard to teach him how to play with dogs in my mind.

Also when in residential I would NEVER let my dog off a long lead or out of a fully fenced in yard. But where I am talking about now is a rural area where I have an acre lot, there is no dog walkers in my backyard they DO not go in the front where the road is. I have 3 other dogs who have been taught boundaries(9 y/o samoyed mix, 5 y/o collie and Westie). It is impossible for 4 dogs to play/go out at the same time if all tied up. There is no threshold where he doesn't react, whether in the car, 2 feet or 200 feet away the minute a dog is spotted he wants to go get em.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Opheila, Apr 29 4:05 pm

Behavior & Training > need help with very dog reactive dog
Zeus

Barked: Mon Apr 28, '14 9:47pm PST 
10 month old neutered Akita (Japanese and American if it matters) who I just seem to have lost all control of when around other dogs he doesn't know.

He looks to play with EVERY dog, it is NOT aggression. But he plays way to rough, jumping on, slapping, play biting so due to his lack of manners he doesn't play with any dog other then the female Westie he was raised with-- he is so gentle with her it doesn't make sense to me.

I just don't know how to get his attention, when another dog is in sight he goes crazy whining and if I give him enough lead he will charge to the dog and bow and jump up and down. I have done focus work with him and when there is no other dogs around he listens 100%, people think I have an untrained crazy dog and are scared as he is 85 lbs. He also darts from the yard which he will otherwise NEVER LEAVE.when he see's a dog which I am scared will cause him to get hit by a car or worse. Seeing a dog causes him stress and me even more because as soon as the other dog leaves he is panting like crazy and has increased heart rate. I want to walk without him paying any attention to dogs like every other dog I trained or have seen on the street.

My question is WHAT can I do to get his attention, I have tried a watch me command but he doesn't even sit let alone listen to watch me when another dog is in sight. Any drills or anything to make him understand what I want? Or am I asking for too much.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Apr 29 4:05 pm

Dog Health > Akita in sun, need advice badly

Zeus

Barked: Thu Apr 24, '14 3:13pm PST 
thank you very much for your replies
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Beowulf, Apr 24 7:44 pm

Dog Health > Akita in sun, need advice badly

Zeus

Barked: Wed Apr 23, '14 3:20pm PST 
I have a 10 month old American Akita. Now the warm weather is here and we go for a walk after just 5 minutes (its only 55 degrees) he starts to pant - i know cooling himself down. I have brought water on the walks but he just doesn't drink a lot too focused on the walk.I walk for 15 minutes and the minute I get home he cant even stand up he is so tired and panting like he ran a marathon. After 45 minutes minimum he is fine.

The problem is what do I do when it is 70,80 and 90 degrees? Can I not bring him outside at all? In the winter we would walk for 1-2 hours no problem so I know it is the sun (being all black probably doesn't help him). But after just one walk in the sun he is so drained he sleeps for hours whereas in the winter when we got home he could still go go go. When laying in the sun doing nothing he has no problem but when walking or any activity is involved I feel like its torture to bring him for a walk that I know he needs.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Beowulf, Apr 24 7:44 pm

Behavior & Training > Scared Puppy

Zeus

Barked: Sat Apr 12, '14 10:47pm PST 
Well I don't know if this even relates to you but I will share an experience. My grandparents purchased a beautiful show dog, Collie, who had a similar problem. He took to my grandma right away but my grandpa took a few months to get used to. Even after two years of having him there is certain things we call triggers that no one really believes until they see it. Whenever a male is wearing a tie he freaks out and is terrified, I believe it is because the owner before was a little cruel and would put on a tie prior to the show. Also there is a perfume, which causes him to shake like a leaf, again I think this is because it brings him back to a fearful dog show state of mind. We just started offering food with a tie on and relating it to positive things.

Also, as humans we tend to try and find a logical solution so maybe it might have had nothing to do with your clothes that just was what stuck out in your mind. I think time will tell and help pinpoint the true issue. Sorry if this didn't help much.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Apr 13 7:06 am

Behavior & Training > HELP A. Akita won't stop humping certian male dog
Zeus

Barked: Sat Apr 12, '14 10:33pm PST 
I have talked to a "trainer" who told me it was the breed and tried to convince me to pay hundreds of dollars for a "puppy class" so please don't just tell me it is because it is an Akita.

So this problem is very weird to me. My 10 month old American Akita, Zeus, will not stop humping a CERTAIN male dog. I go to the county where my grandma has 3 dogs, a 5 year old male Collie (Lance), female Westie and 8 year old male Lhasa Apso/American Eskimo (Bosco) .

The Alpha in her pack is Bosco, all dogs understand this including Zeus as he has never tried to challenge him for alpha. BUT Zeus will non-stop try to hump Lance the collie, Lance is well behaved so he does everything he should to show Zeus to stop - growl, show teeth, attempt to move away but Zeus doesn't care. One time after what I would say was 10 seconds of warning Lance turned to snap and fight yet Zeus didn't care ...he ran upstairs then 5 minutes later back to the humping. I have brought him around lots of other dogs because I know the importance of socialization.

I have tried making him sit BEFORE the humping begins as I can see it coming then rewarding the good behavior with high value treat. I have tried having a lead on Zeus and correcting him right before he jumps on him which has lead to him NEVER doing it if I am in sight or the minute I give a verbal correction. But the minute I am not around Zeus tries to hump. I just want to know why he does it to the dog who is clearly submissive and how to let Zeus know I do not want this to happen EVER. Also might sound weird but this only happens in the day, at night I have occasionally put Zeus to sleep with Lance and they lay together and sleep in peace. (which lead me to believe it was because Zeus was too tired...so after a long run when he was fully drained he still tried to hump)Zeus gets enough exercise and has daily training so I know mental/physical stimulation is not lacking.

Any help would be amazing. Thank you for your time.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Nare, Apr 16 12:23 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.