Postings by Guest ID 1155948

GO!

Choosing the Right Dog > Any suggestions for a breed for a cat person?

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 1:13am PST 
Willow, are whippets pretty good about generalizing cat acceptance to all cats? Or say, if you add a new cat to the mix, are you going to have to lay down the law again?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Willow, Feb 23 3:37 am

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 11:45pm PST 
Thanks Keeva. I'm looking them up now. Turns out there are like 3 breeders within about two hours of my house.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Willow, Feb 23 3:37 am

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 4:34pm PST 
I love how little the italian greyhound is! I think any cat would look like a panther next to one of those little guys.

I've been hearing good things about the japanese chin. I'm a little less inclined towards them because of their short muzzles, but from all the good I've heard about them, I'll make sure to keep them in mind. I'm also going to do some more research on the havanese. I think my sister has a friend who has one of those. I'll have to ask.

Anyone know much about the Lowchen? A few different dog quizzes have suggested it to me.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Willow, Feb 23 3:37 am

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 4:17pm PST 
Thanks again everyone. And thanks to all about the heads-up on the bully breeds. Nice dogs, but dogs that probably wouldn't work for me.

Tiller, I think I'll keep the doberman in mind. At first brush, the idea of having a doberman feels a little out there, but I've read a few different posts you've written on other threads, and you seem to know a lot about different breeds of dogs; you've got my curiosity peaked. I've met a doberman before who was just a sweetheart (she was a seeing eye dog). I'll make sure to visit with a breeder so that I can get a feel for the breed. Like I said, my main concern is with the exercise and being left alone, but it sounds like those issues are pretty individualized as far as dobermans are concerned, so if I could find one that would be a good fit, I would have no problem whatsoever with getting one.

Hershey, you mentioned the havanese. I've read a little about these dogs, and they seem like wonderful little dogs. But, I've heard these dogs generally don't do well with being left alone. Can anyone speak to that?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Willow, Feb 23 3:37 am

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 11:29pm PST 
Thanks for the doberman advice. That's kind of what I imagined it would be. It's good to know that beforehand.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Willow, Feb 23 3:37 am

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 10:31pm PST 
Wow! So many good responses. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question! I really appreciate all your answers; they've really helped me narrow the field down a bit.

So, here's a follow up question:
Out of the following:
Shih tzu, lhasa apso, Tibetan Spaniel, and pekingese.
Which might generally be the most needy, and which would be the least? I'm particularly interested in the Shih tzu and tibbie, but I've heard that the tibbie doesn't do as well with being alone as the shih tzu. Is that true?

What do you guys think about whippets? Are they more independent like a greyhound, or do they tend to be more needy like an italian greyhound?

What do you think about Boston Terriers, Frenchies, and bulldogs? They sound like low energy, low exercise, sweet dogs, but I've been a little hesitant about them because of their health problems. And I've heard they're a little needy. Is that so? I think one of you mentioned in a different post that pugs shed like crazy. do the boston, frenchie, and bulldog shed a lot too?

Now, as for the doberman, you really surprised me there! I'm afraid that I probably wouldn't be able to exercise him as much as he needs. Does he require a lot more exercise than those smaller dogs? I've heard they're pretty dominant as well. Is that true?

Thanks for the heads-up on the berner. Once you mentioned it, I remembered hearing about their epic shedding amounts.

It's good to know that some greyhounds can be good around cats, because the more I learn about them, the more I like them. So, for the ones that can be good around cats, are they usually pretty dependable? Or is there still a higher than average risk that they could harm a cat?

You know, I hadn't even considered a miniature schnauzer! they sound like great little dogs. I think I probably couldn't handle the barking, which is why I've not looked into most of the terriers as much. I've met a few different terriers, and I love how they kind of bounce around as they bark. Maybe they're like bounce machines, and the barking sound is how you know they're working? laugh out loud

As for the huskies, they're gorgeous dogs! I can totally relate to the aesthetic appeal aspect. I tend to find myself attracted to the sighthounds, but I don't think there's a person who could look themselves in the mirror and say that huskies aren't beautiful dogs.

Thanks for the idea about the Chinese Crested. I hadn't looked into them, I will now!

Also, just FYI. If any of you have sheep that need herding, but don't want to pay a lot for dog food, consider a papillon. I just watched a couple of youtube videos of them herding sheep. big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Willow, Feb 23 3:37 am

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 12:39am PST 
First, I'd like to say how impressed I am with the people on this forum. Very knowledgeable, positive, and helpful.

So, I'm a cat person, but I also like dogs and have had dogs in the past. My 16 year old cat, Gus, is reaching the end of his life. We've sure loved him a lot. I'm thinking of getting a dog after we have to say goodbye to old Gus, and holding off on getting another cat until sometime down the road.

I've done a few different questionnaires online, and they've suggested dogs like the Bernese Mtn. Dog, Bassett Hound, Greyhound, Lowchen, Clumber Spaniel, Tibetan Spaniel, Great Dane, English Toy Spaniel, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, shih tzu etc. The ones that come up the most are probably the Bernese Mountain Dog, Scottish deerhound, and greyhound. If any of that gives an idea of what sort of things I'm looking for in a dog.

What I'd like in a dog is one who is pretty calm/low key, doesn't need a ton of exercise or very strenuous play (maybe a short-medium length walk every day), doesn't bark too much, and is good with cats. (And at least tolerant of children. Ideally the dog would love kids, but at the very least, I don't want to worry about him with my nephews--they're old enough and good with dogs, but I don't want to worry about the dog snapping at them.)

As for training, if possible, I'd like him to be somewhat trainable. I'm not too interested in tricks or anything, but, I'd like him to have good manners.

As for how the dog acts around strangers, I'd love it if the dog loved everyone--stranger or not--but at the very least, I'd like a dog that isn't aggressive towards people he doesn't know, even if he is reserved around them.

He also probably couldn't be a velcro dog. Right now, he'd rarely have to spend more than around 2 hours alone once or twice a week, but once I start grad-school in a year or so, he might have some semesters with 4-8 hours alone per day.

I have slight dog allergies and I don't like having fur all over the place, so one that doesn't shed too much is probably best.

Size is not necessarily an issue one way or the other, as I've heard that some of the biggest dogs have less energy needs, but big AND furry is probably not going to work--I've only noticed my allergies around big furry dogs like golden retrievers and huskies.

Light to medium grooming isn't an issue. I really enjoy sitting with my cat and brushing and petting him, so if I had a dog that needed to be brushed every day, that wouldn't be a problem at all--especially if he likes it.

What I've read about greyhounds--most of the sighthounds, actually--seems to fit the bill almost perfectly. Except for the fact that they can be dangerous around cats, with their strong prey drive. I do plan on getting another cat sometime down the road, so I need a dog that can do well with cats.

I like the idea of a bernese mountain dog--several websites have said they're lower energy and need less exercise, but maybe their big-furriness would be the same as a golden, as far as allergies go? Really, I'm not married to any particular breed--rather the best one for whom I am a good fit, and the best dog to fit me.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention: I live in a house with a medium, fenced-in yard.

I think this might be a tall order. Does anyone have any good ideas?
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by Willow, Feb 23 3:37 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.