Postings by Guest ID 1152399

GO!

Raw Food Diet > New to RAW

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 3:35pm PST 
Hello,

We have a small hobby farm where we produce our own meat/eggs/dairy/veggies/fruit (the whole shebang)

I'm getting very frustrated with the commercial diet for our dogs. I am interested in the Prey Model diet. I have 4 dogs *and a fifth staying with us temporarily*

4 mo old Texas Heeler (adult weight between 35, 45lbs)
1 7 year old Doberman/Bernese cross (45lbs should be 50lbs)
7 mo old Black Russian Terrier (adult weight approx 90lbs)
3 yr old walker hound 40lbs
4 yr old spanielX 20lbs

By my calculations these dogs would need to consume just shy of 3000lbs of food in a year. I am curious what they break down should be. I am able to give them home made organic yogurt as well. Should I? I can give them eggs. Should I? How many? I can give them chickens of varying ages, rabbits, quail, duck (cheapest thing to raise), and cut offs of beef/veal/goat/lamb. We raise all of these things ourselves.

Would I do well to give them a light breakfast in the mornings... say, a touch of yogurt with an egg. And feed them a bird proportionate to their requirements, fasting one day a week? If I am fasting, do I calculate the 2-3% daily as the total week (say a 100lbs dog gets 21 Lbs in a week, would I just divide it by six?)

I'm lost, and concerned for their health. I would like to raise food for my WHOLE family, not just the people family. They already get plenty of scraps.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 29 5:45 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.