Postings by Guest ID 1145557

GO!

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier > 9 weeks old

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 9:54am PST 
Mixing warm can food in water with dry food tends to help. But this breed are terrible eaters. My first Wheaten wouldn't eat unless you sit with her. We couldn't have any distractions.... Some chicken mixed in might help but knowing this breed they prob will pick around the dry food for the chicken! Experimenting with different foods might help but for the first few weeks stay with whatever food they were feeding him. You can always ween him off of it by mixing some new food in. Good luck with your new baby! They are wonderful additions!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 18 9:54 am

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier > Good Apartment Dog?

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 11:09am PST 
You can DEFINITELY get a Wheaten. I had a Wheaten for 16 years and what I found was that she eventually adapted to my living habits. If you read up on them they say they are great apartment dogs bc they don't need much exercise but they do LOVE to run around when they can. I would suggest taking the dog to a dog park or getting a a stake for the ground with a wire cord to hook on to the dog so they can have freedom off a Leash in an open space. But as a puppy they are a lot of work. They aren't the easiest dogs to train so you will need to take time to enforce rules and expectations but expect a fight from your furry friend. Wheatens are a joy and will end up being your best friend. As a owner you need to love your dog and think of them as toddlers. You won't regret getting a wheaten but if after reading everyone's comments you are still concerned my other suggestion is a hybrid Wheaten. I am a recent owner of a Wheatie Poo named Peanut. Peanut is a mix between a wheaten and a toy poodle so she will prob end up being 25 lbs verse the Wheaten's 35-45lbs. She is spunky, smart, stubborn, silly as ever, but still a little difficult to housebreak. Peanut has a Wheaten look to her besides for her ears which are floppy like a poodle. She has a short tail and is an apricot/ brown color which she will end up keeping for life. She has wavy soft hair. Like the Wheatens she does get hair in her ears and btw the pad. I also noticing that she is developing allergies which seems to be very common for the Wheaten. To be honest the only difference I am noticing btw the two breeds is her size and how quickly she is leaning commands and obedience. If you have any further questions I am more than happy to answer.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 17 11:09 am

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier > Where are all you Wheaties out there???

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 8:08am PST 
Hi my fellow Wheaten owners!!!! I LOVE reading about everyone's Wheatie experience. I was actually an owner of my first Wheaten who lived till 16 years old. She was and will always be the love of my life! Dakota brought such joy into my life each and every day. But I will say to anyone considering a Wheaten that you NEED to read up on them first. They do require a lot of care for their coat, ears (oh boy those ears), allergies (my baby had hot spots... Not fun), cysts, etc. Even with all of that said she was PERFECT! When she passed I didn't know if I would ever be able to get another SCWT but little did I know two years later I am an owner of a hybrid SCWT. Peanut (who is 6 months this month) is considered a Wheatie Poo or Whoodle. She is VERY MUCH a Wheaten at heart. Spunky, mischievous, silly, love able, and never fails to give you that Wheaten Greetin'!!! Some of you might be wondering if I loved my SCWT so much why would I get anything different... To be honest I wasn't looking for anything but a SCWT but I was afraid getting one would feel like I was replaying Dakota. It was by chance we came across Peanut in the pet store. The owner asked me if I ever owned a dog before so I preceded to tell him about Dakota... He smiled and said "then I have the perfect breed for you... A Wheatie Poo" to my surprise I have NEVER heard of one and preceded to respond "A WHAT?!" My boyfriend and I (we live in an Apt) immediately fell in love... And that's how we knew she was meant to be. Peanut is half SCWT and toy poodle. If you remember how your SCWT looked as a puppy with the dark black face and dark brown/ auburn/ apricot color to their body then you can envision exactly what Peanut looks like. She has lightens to a lighter brown but we have been told she will keep her Brian color even in her adult life. Peanut has long floppy poodle ears but has the SCWT ear problems ha. She is expected to only reach 25 lbs (perfect for our apt). What I have noticed with Peanut that I didn't notice with Dakota was how easily she picked up new tricks/obiediemce training. I only mention Peanut to let all of my fellow SCWT owners know that if you want a Wheatie but looking for a smaller dog a Wheatie Poo is out there for you. I will post pictures of her to share. Hope to from more SCWT!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 5 5:53 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.