Postings by Guest ID 1142436

GO!

Dog Health > Bladder stone removal

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 9:10pm PST 
Dr. Watson thank you so much for the links. Very informative and helpful!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maxwell, Nov 30 10:08 pm

Food & Nutrition > Food recommendation following bladder stone removal

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 8:35pm PST 
We are seriously considering your recommendations for can foods and dehydrated foods. Thank you for the helpful options. She's too young of a pup not to have good nutrition! We are even willing to do more frequent urinalysis to ensure no UTI's while we figure this out!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Jace, Dec 5 9:48 am

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 3:35pm PST 
Thanks for the helpful responses. The vet is actually the one recommending going on hills food for life fir her. I'm not that comfortable with the quality of this food so that's why I am doing a little research of my own. We will be meeting with him Tomorrow to discuss our concerns.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Jace, Dec 5 9:48 am

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 8:02pm PST 
I posted this initially in the health section but someone suggested I check this forum to see if anyone has a good food recommendation. Here's the original post:

Hello! This is my first time posting a question about my pup. I have some questions before I talk to my vet again as I want to come prepared, so I was hoping you all could help me.

Lucy is a 1 1/2 year old pup that is a Terrier mixed breed and weighs about 25 pounds. She has had 2 urinary tract infections with this second one causing 2 stones in her bladder. The Vet advised surgical removal so this was completed 2 1/2 weeks ago. The stones were sent off for analysis and found to be 100% struvite formation. The vet wants her to go on a special diet (Hill C/D) for life as well as pulse antibiotics 3 days every month using Clavamox. She has since had her urine checked and it was found to be "clear". I wished I would have asked at the time if there were any crystals in her urine.

Here are my questions:

1. Why should she have to be on a special diet when her struvite formation is due to an infection?
2. Reading about Hill C/D makes me very leery of what appears to be less than ideal quality of food. Does anyone have suggestions for food that would be better? We aren't quite ready to go the direction of a home made/raw diet so looking more for canned or kibble suggestions.
3. Is it dangerous for her to be on a long standing antibiotic regimen in regards to antibiotic resistance. She's a pretty young pup!
4. We've increased her water intake and make sure she doesn't go longer than 4 hours during the day without a break. She also has water in her kennel.
5. Would anyone recommend a cranberry supplement for UTI prevention?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks in advance for taking time to read through it all!
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Jace, Dec 5 9:48 am

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 8:31pm PST 
Thanks for the response so far! We made an appointment with our vet this Saturday so we can discuss our diet concerns before we jump into anything. Any other advice would be welcome!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Nov 30 10:08 pm

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 7:01pm PST 
Hello! This is my first time posting a question about my pup. I have some questions before I talk to my vet again as I want to come prepared, so I was hoping you all could help me.

Lucy is a 1 1/2 year old pup that is a Terrier mixed breed and weighs about 25 pounds. She has had 2 urinary tract infections with this second one causing 2 stones in her bladder. The Vet advised surgical removal so this was completed 2 1/2 weeks ago. The stones were sent off for analysis and found to be 100% struvite formation. The vet wants her to go on a special diet (Hill C/D) for life as well as pulse antibiotics 3 days every month using Clavamox. She has since had her urine checked and it was found to be "clear". I wished I would have asked at the time if there were any crystals in her urine.

Here are my questions:

1. Why should she have to be on a special diet when her struvite formation is due to an infection?
2. Reading about Hill C/D makes me very leery of what appears to be less than ideal quality of food. Does anyone have suggestions for food that would be better? We aren't quite ready to go the direction of a home made/raw diet so looking more for canned or kibble suggestions.
3. Is it dangerous for her to be on a long standing antibiotic regimen in regards to antibiotic resistance. She's a pretty young pup!
4. We've increased her water intake and make sure she doesn't go longer than 4 hours during the day without a break. She also has water in her kennel.
5. Would anyone recommend a cranberry supplement for UTI prevention?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks in advance for taking time to read through it all!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Nov 30 10:08 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.