Postings by Guest ID 1140672

GO!

Service & Therapy Dogs > Going to train my own PSD, could definately use some help.

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 4:24pm PST 
I apoligize forr any miscommuncation, you guy seem to think that I want a service animal to dote on, when what I mean is that is the reason I tend to hang around animals more than people.

As for my disability I would prefer not to share all of them because it's a very sensivite subject for me, but one of the issues is severe anxiety while surrounded by unfamilar people, which typically causes me to have an episode where I become disorentied, dizzy, and I sometimes faint, and it keeps me from leaving the house in fear that I'll have an episode and that someone will mug me or worse while I'm passed out. I haven't seen my friends in months, and I haven't been able to get a job because the one time I tried to ride a bus by myself, I nearly had a episode at the bus stop. I'm really sick of people underestimating my condition and think I'm overeacting. Yes I have been researching for 6 months, yes I know people will ask about my disability, and people will want to pet the dog. I came here for help and half of you guys assume I want the dog for fun. If you guys really want proof I'd be more than happy to show you a picture of all the pills I have to take every day to keep myself from hallucinating, to keep myself from having an anxiety attack, to deal with the depression. I've been dealing with this for years.. I'm only 19 years old, I should be outside having a life, hanging out with my friends, working, going to college. I only recently started seeing a therapist, an I wold do anything to get this sh*t under control.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 23 11:47 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Going to train my own PSD, could definately use some help.

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 9:35pm PST 
The reason she suggested the dog, is because she has noticed that I get along better with animals than I do humans, not to say that I don;t have any friends, but I mostly just like someone I can dote on, and animals take that better, and they never think you're weird.

But on the subject of training the dog, I didn;t mean exclusively on nmy own,I just meant that I wasn't going to go to a program, and that I would rather have a personal trainer instead. I can't afford to travel, and I would not be able to travel without a trusted person, all of whom wouldn't be able to travel due to work and whatnot. The two programs I havebeen able to find thatare within driving distance of where I lve, one does not train the type of SD I need, and the other acted so unprofessionally I wouldn't train my dog there even if it was free. I haven't found a personal trainer yet, but then again, I'm not positive on what to look for, so that in itself may be the issue.

Though I did want to train the dog myself tobehave in public, because I want to make sure the pup knows how to behave, I'm a little paranoid about that kind of stuff.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 23 11:47 am

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 3:50pm PST 
So my therapist has said that she suggests that I get a Psychiatric Service Dog, and when I looked around for trainers , they were all WAY out of my price range, and also I would prefer to be involved in the dogs training 100%, and so I thought I could train my own with some help. I have done training with a pet dog in obediance, but that's about it. Does anyone know of books or websites that can help me out?

Also, how would I do training in public if a SDiT does not have access rghts like a full fledged SD does?
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 23 11:47 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.