Postings by Guest ID 1135280

GO!

Raw Food Diet > New to raw diet and a few questions - would appreciate any advice!!!

Jasper

"Where's- Snowy??"

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 5:54am PST 
Oh - I did it!

Yay!

The original question was asked by me before I added Jasper to my profile red face

How embarrassing!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Miso, Oct 12 2:27 pm

Raw Food Diet > New to raw diet and a few questions - would appreciate any advice!!!
Jasper

"Where's- Snowy??"

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 5:53am PST 
I might also ask how on earth I can change my avatar picture to that of my dog Jasper... I've looked all over and can't seem to navigate to the right place cry
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Miso, Oct 12 2:27 pm

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 3:28am PST 
(Hello - I'm Helen, 24 and I'm new! I just typed all this out and the page refreshed - I may have clicked something - and I couldn't see if it had posted so I'm re-posting. If it has posted and this is a duplicate I'm really sorry!)

Our working breed cocker is 11 months. He's always been funny with his food. He's on a dry food diet att eh minute, he came to use on royal canin so we continued this but he would never eat it all and was very picky. I transitioned him over to Arden Grange lam kibble but still he was being picky.

He's a very slender dog and I know he is still growing but even so he's very slender. (ps yes he has been wormed! Regularly!)

Recently a friend gave us some dog pouches they weren't using and he loved them but I would only let him have them with his kibble. He'd nose his kibble outof the bowl and eat the pouch. Thr only thing is I was not pleased with the pouch 'contents'.

After talking to a fellow cocker spaniel owner she mentioned she has their dog on the raw meat diet and have never looked back after 5 years.

Now, even for a cocker, Jasper is very small. He still looks as though he is 4/5 months old (he was the runt of his litter poor mite). He's averaging at 6.5-7k in weight.

I've read the smaller the dog - the more danger for the bones. Is this true? Does anyone else have a small-ish dog that feed raw bones - is it really an issue.

I have ordered his first stack of food from a 'Nuturing for Nature' company, he has 10 minced chicken meals, some sprat fish meals (are their bones okay too?), a couple of chicken and tripe meals, some marrow bones for treats and a lamb ribs as a treat.

My thinking was to stay safe with chicken for now with the occasional raw meat treats just whilst he's transitioned over from kibble to raw - is this the right thing to do?

What is like the staple raw meat diet food that most dogs would eat more of? We're also going to add vegs here and there as Jasper loves his vegs smile

I am still doing loads of research into this and not afraid to admit we're raw meat diet newbs! So any (and all!) advice is greatly appreciated. It's just so many sites seem to differ in their own opinions, one site I find to read on slates it saying about all these dangers then another site says how briliant it is. I'm in no doubt it is the best to feed a dog but I'm just worried about him chewing bones etc. I know it's a natural thing they do but you know, you can't help worrying sometimes! Is it as dangerous as I'm reading up on or is it okay (ie supervised eating).

I should also note I'm fully aware we should never cook the bones as we know they can splinter.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Miso, Oct 12 2:27 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.