Close X

Postings by Guest ID 1104126


Choosing the Right Dog > Deciding between a Cavalier, a Havanese or a Coton

Member Since
Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 4:48am PST 
You both make really good points, both of which suggest getting a dog locally is the better choice. The Coton breeder seems excellent but won't be breeding until the fall - it is hard to wait so long! The cavalier would be available in a few months. Hips of parents were tested but you are right so many other things can go wrong,unfortunately.

Cost-wise I've found Australian dogs less expensive than the U.S., and certainly Hawaii. Breeders here are likely needing to pass on their ship costs, so I don't blame them for their pricing.

We will be seeing some Cavs, Havanese and a Coton over the next few days. If it's the Coton we will have to find a way to distract ourselves from thinking about dogs for a while...
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 22 8:49 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Deciding between a Cavalier, a Havanese or a Coton

Member Since
Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 12:45pm PST 
Really finding this forum helpful! Thanks to all who post.

Here is our situation. We are retired empty nesters with a cat in an apartment in Hawaii (no yard, high floor so we'd need a small dog). We enjoy walking - we walk an hour every morning or could possibly walk a dog twice a day. We are first-time dog owners but grooming doesn't scare us. Lots of barking not a plus, however, as we are in close quarters.

The tricky part - we live in rabies-free Hawaii (no shipping from mainland allowed for dogs under 10 months). Small dogs aren't very popular here, with a very limited supply of reputable breeders, zero luck at rescues (with little sign of change) and a shelter whose small dogs are almost entirely chihuahuas.

We've narrowed the field to three and I was hoping for your advice. All three options are expensive and approximately the same in cost:

* Cavalier - as there are no vet cardiologists in state, and shipping from mainland is difficult, we are talking to breeders in Australia. We found one that seems excellent - full heart/hip/eye certifications, DNA testing for curly coat (not sure what this is) and dry eye plus MRIs performed on parents and three of the four grandparents. No rabies in Australia so we can get a pup. We love the Cavalier temperament. Downsides are despite all this testing I'm still a little bit worried about the health of this breed, and we can't meet the breeder in person. (We also found a good breeder in the U.S., but the wait there would be seven months.)

* Havanese - We found a local breeder we like. A little concerned about housebreaking difficulties (we have never owned a dog before) and barking. Also there are no pups available until later this year.

* Coton - Amazingly, Hawaii has an excellent breeder of Cotons (go figure). It is such a rare breed the reviews we've read are a little all over the place - little concerned about housebreaking and barking. Also no pups available for quite a while.

Any advice appreciated!
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 22 8:49 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.