Postings by Dakota 2000-2009's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 54: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Herding/aggression/guarding?
Fletcher

SHEEEEEEEEEP!

Barked: Thu Jan 5, '12 9:31am PST 
^^^That sure is a shame..frown

you know, it can go either way though..regarding gripping..people thinking its "cool" to let the dog harrass sheep..OR..reprimand the grip ALWAYS..I was in that group, until my stockdog coach told me to put a command to it, to control it..because I may need it someday.

BC's get a rap in my area as not being tough..heelers are the dogs of choice. Ive owned both..and I'd put Fletcher up against a heeler anyday in terms of tenacity and gumption. wink comes down to the individual dog. Kate, my other BC, works sheep beautifuly, but lacks the "kahoones" to take on a snot blowing bull calf head on. LOL

Seems so many folks lack the understanding of truly how to use a dog on stock..and in the end..its the dog..AND the stock that suffer..

I hope one day your guy will get to try again!
[notify]
» There has since been -2 posts. Last posting by Fletcher, Jan 5 9:31 am

Behavior & Training > Herding/aggression/guarding?
Fletcher

SHEEEEEEEEEP!

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 12:41pm PST 
after reading thru this thread..OP..I am inclined to think your BC is under stimulated..mentally..and is essentially "working" you...it could be a medical problem as well..no one knows. my first stop might be the vet, to have a health workup done..and proceed from there. border collies need mental stimulation..these dogs have been bred for centuries to work sun up to sun down, in the hills, gathering and working sheep..again, I am "feeling" your guy may need a mental outlet..he doesnt have one, so is focusing on working YOU. Im not saying it's right..a good BC should not do this..but can we fault a dog for going stir crazy, essentially? 15 minutes of ball throwing is merely a warmup for a BC..a mindless exercise.

Now, onto BC's..because I do love my BC's. There are some BC's are will "bite" or "grip"..it's not a bad thing..but ideally you want a BC to use eye and escalate, if needed. Fletcher will eye his charges and if they don't move or give him flack, he is not afraid to "step it up" a notch. Example-We had a heifer break out of the crowding pen..she jumped the panel and took off down the fenceline. Eyeing an animal in a dead run will get a dog nothing but trampled..Fletcher headed her, bit her in the nose to turn her(because she disregarded his pressence, so he had to escalate it) and then moved her back.

When working cattle..you ideally want a tougher dog..you dont want a dog who immediatly grips..but one who isnt AFRAID too..if that makes sense..in a situation that warrants it. Sheep are a different story..usually no "grip" is needed and just eye. (unless you own a ram such as mine, who thinks his job is to challenge Fletcher at all turns)

I personally gave a command to "grip"..I don't want Fletcher biting all the time, I want to be able to CONTROL it. smile

so theres my contribution to the off topic-ness..although I do love talking border collie. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Fletcher, Jan 5 9:31 am

Behavior & Training > A good trainer and a well trained dog.

Fletcher

SHEEEEEEEEEP!

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 9:11am PST 
this is interesting for sure.

Coming from a horse backround, I feel like Shayne, that with them..they should obey whoever is on them.

Dogs are abit different..obviously, you wouldnt want your SH trained dog obeying someone else..wink.

with agility, I've run some folk's dogs, for practice. Both of these dogs are pretty "easy" going and run for anybody. There are some other just as trained dogs who WILL NOT run for "just anyone"..so I think it may be a different personality of the dogs?

Fletcher listens to my herding coach and me when on sheep..anyone else he ignores. Is it because Ive trained him to be like this? no..its simply HIM..to him, you've kinda got to get into his brain abit when working stock..and if you havent "proven" that to him yet..he'll ignore you. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 11:10 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Good Border Collie Breeder??

Fletcher

SHEEEEEEEEEP!

Barked: Fri Dec 23, '11 11:42am PST 
Sanka, the link you posted..THAT is the type of breeder I would seek out..smilesmileapplause
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 25 4:36 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Good Border Collie Breeder??

Fletcher

SHEEEEEEEEEP!

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 1:32pm PST 
I cannot reccomend a specific breeder, but will implore you to make sure you seek out TRUE working dogs, if that is what you want..none of that "working lines" garbage. If you want a BC to truly work stock with, find a breeder who actively works the parents of your potential pup..either thru trials or in a farm setting.

Remember, some BC's are not cut out for therapy work..a large portion is related to upbringing yes..but a portion is also the dog's demenor.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 25 4:36 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Horrible Breed Ambassador
Fletcher

SHEEEEEEEEEP!

Barked: Wed Dec 14, '11 12:20pm PST 
OP-I get where you are coming from..I do..

the bottomline is though..you cant fix "stupid"...I just try my darnest to be as encouraging as possible and steer these folks into the right direction..not with dictatorship..but with helpful guidance. smile

Fletcher is OCD..100%..hes a fantastic dog..but he would be the devil incarnate with an imcompetant owner.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Dec 28 7:42 pm

Sports & Agility > Soft crates for indoor shows? What do you like?

Fletcher

SHEEEEEEEEEP!

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 12:44pm PST 
I use a Guardian Gear soft sided collapsable crate for agility trials..
I also take a blanket (cold weather) or light sheet (warm weather) to cover it..should I need too. Fletcher seems to stay calmer if he cant see dogs going back and forth in front of his crate. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Fletcher, Dec 13 12:44 pm

Sports & Agility > Dogs on sheep for the first time!

Fletcher

SHEEEEEEEEEP!

Barked: Fri Oct 21, '11 8:14am PST 
Its kinda a freaky picture..yep..smile

I hope you and Ghost enjoy yourselves..I know I really enjoy doing stockdog work with my dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Fletcher, Oct 21 8:14 am

Sports & Agility > Day 1 of herding- things did not go well

Fletcher

SHEEEEEEEEEP!

Barked: Wed Oct 19, '11 12:28pm PST 
Mulder
Im abit late here..but I know me personally..I have a "boogey bag"..its a long stockpole with a plastic bag on the end..my trainer uses a waterbottle with rocks in it..they never touch the dog when they become to focused and "prey driven"..but they do break the dog's concentration.

I've seen BC's trained with being hit..it just boggles my mind how a BC CAN be trained this way..but apparently some are..not a pretty site.

Kate was always very sensitive around the sheep..Fletcher however got ALITTLE overzealous after he had some training on him.

One thing to also consider..was this test in a roundpen I assume? Some dogs feel very confined in a roundpen and pressure ensues..the dog is stressed, so they stress the sheep, who react wildly, which makes the dog react wildly..ect,ect.

To me, it sounds like Mulder was definantly stressed and the wacking merely made the stress worse, therefore he "redirected" onto the sheep.

a good instructor knows when to pull a dog out..when they've "had enough"..and ends on a good note.

Example, Kate's first time on sheep..she did very good and then she started to "chase" them more then actually herd them..she was done at that point..no big comotion, she was merely done.

I hope you can find another venue for Mulder to get another shot doing this.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 23 9:03 pm

Sports & Agility > Dogs on sheep for the first time!
Fletcher

SHEEEEEEEEEP!

Barked: Wed Oct 19, '11 12:14pm PST 
Good for you in looking to getting some instruction..smile

I start all our dogs on sheep..and then they move to cattle, if they "Can do it". Kate I dont think will be incrediably reliable on cattle..Fletcher is though...he has gotten charged, stepped on and kicked..these things happening to him didnt scare him, they made him tougher, no lie. He takes no guff from cattle and Ive used him to work yearlings, to momma cows to bulls, he doesnt give up and is incrediably tenacious for a BC.

This is him
http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/members/spina ndslide-albums-other+photos-picture105605-fletchiebite.JPG

Just take it slow..One thing I always tell folks..your dog can have obde. titles out the rear and they will dissapear when you put them on stock. wink..its like you are back at square one again.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Fletcher, Oct 21 8:14 am

(Page 1 of 54: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.