Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 38: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Pumpkin Shortage!
Drover- Deputy Of- Security

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Tue Oct 18, '11 4:20pm PST 
did you guys ever try growing pumpkins? I do it, its really fun because they take very little upkeep. you can basically put a seed in the ground and never look at it until fall and by then you have a bunch of pumpkins! laugh out loud very fun to grow your own. Plus there are so many different varieties to grow. Then, you can can them yourself! very easy, amd satisfying knowing you know what is going into yourself and your pup. Not to mention you save alot of $$. If space is a problem, you can even train some pumpkin vines onto a trellis! Im going to try some of those giant pumpkins next year!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Oct 20 5:07 pm

Dog Health > Could you, if you had to?

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Sun Sep 25, '11 1:37pm PST 
yes, this is a morbid question, but I am glad it was asked because some of us may need to make this decision and it better to know what you would do ahead of time than to ponder what to do when and if a time like this ever happens. i definetly would. I have had to do it before, not with my own dog, but with a stray who was run over right infront of me. I knew his back was broken, and i knew it was wrong to leave him there. I live about a half hour out of town too, but honestly, I think a WELL PLACED shot with a powerful rifle is more humane than making the long trip to the vet where the dog will be stressed even more with the sounds and smells of a vet office.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Sep 26 10:08 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Canis Panther - What do you think?

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Sun Sep 25, '11 1:21pm PST 
I agree with mulder. yes, canis panthers are mixed breeds, but they are not just randomly bred to make money. From what I have seen, they are very good protection working dogs. Juan, I get your point about some mutts just being bred for money and just for companions (like the doodles) but it is possible to responsibly breed mutts for a purpose.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Sep 28 7:39 am

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Good Faming Experience! :)

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Sun Jul 31, '11 9:20am PST 
I have been working on a friends farm lately, and it has really made me feel more comftorble knowing that not all farms are factory farms. It is a Dairy farm, and all the cows have names. Yup- all 400 of them. The farmer knows EVERY COW by name and personality! shock He really likes them, is very paitent, and gives them medical care for even the little things. There is an 8 year old cow named Ivory that has trouble walking on one of her feet, so he had the hoof trimmer come, clip her hooves, and put a "cow shoe" on her foot. Some of his cows get little cuts from being out in the pasture, and every time he sees one, he puts this soothing cream on it, pats it and calls it a good cow laugh out loud He NEVER uses a cattle prod, and the cows actueally like him! they see him, and walk on over for scratches! smile He feeds them well, has fans and sprinklers on them when they are hot, and even has a little maternity pen for the expecting mommas that is kept near the house and has bedding changed every day. If a momma is having a hard time, he keeps her cooled down (its really hot around here right now) and helps her out until she has her calf. He works very hard to keeps the cows happy, and they give ALOT of milk per cow in return. He milks them three times a day instead of 2 times, so they have less risk of getting mastitis. He keeps his things very clean. On a dairy farm, if you do not have the proper equipment and take care of each cow, it is almost impossible to keep your milk sanitary. When my mother was little, she lived on a less than perfect farm, and the ( this was in the 50's) and the father would often milk cows with mastitis and then strain all the chunks out and put it in the bulk tank silenced I am very happy there are still little family farms out there that truly love what they are doing.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 31 4:56 pm

Behavior & Training > What\'s the weirdest thing someone\'s done to your dog when they\'ve met them.

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Sun Jul 31, '11 8:58am PST 
Whenever we go camping, we have some teenage boy ( for some reason, its always a teenage boy! shrug ) bark and make little noises at drover. Drover just kind of looks at him, then looks back at me with this puzzling look like " mom, why is that guy making weird noises?" laugh out loud Another thing people do is point at drovers erm, "Jewels" and giggle. I mean, wow... very mature.
[notify]
» There has since been 115 posts. Last posting by , Sep 8 6:47 am

Food & Nutrition > How many feed taste of the wild?

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Wed Jul 20, '11 3:40pm PST 
drover has eaten it for a year now, and it really works well for him. He loves the taste too! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Jul 29 12:50 pm

Behavior & Training > People these days... UGH

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Sun Jul 17, '11 6:02pm PST 
* Beware, this is a long rant* I am not sure this is the right place to post this, but behavior and training seemed to be the best place.

I have noticed alot more lately, the poor, commonly accepted treatment of dogs is allowed. I always knew it was there, but I have seen things lately that show me there are alot more bad dog owners than good, atleast around here. My neighbor keeps his GSD on a chain tied to a dog house ALL day, even in the summer, and it was around 105 degrees today. Another neighbor does the same with 3 alaskan mamalutes. They lay in a little circle of sand that is worn down, and pant from all the heat. They never get attention, are only there to look good. It is legal, but barely. Yet another neighbor has two pit bulls that live in a small dog run and have a pretty poor looking dog house. They are out there in the cold winters, and it gets below zero sometimes here. They are male and female, neither is fixed so they keep having litter after litter of puppies. I was with a friend today who was taking care of her neighbors dogs, an elderly black lab, and an elderly beagle. The beagle is a "bad dog" because it always runs away when it is let out of the small pen they live in so she has lived her whole life on a chain or in a pen. The black lab that lives with her came from a BYB and obviously has hip dysplasia and arthritis, but the owners dont give him pain meds or anything. He has a very hard time walking on his hind legs, and being a black, thick coated dog has a hard time with the heat. Furthermore, the first time my friend went there, the only water they had was a nasty looking bowl of muddy slush. A friend I have is a very good person, but very irresponsible, and has lost two labradors to cars at the tender age of 6 months. She never potty trained either of them, and would often go on trips away from home leaving them in a chain link kennel with a pile of food and water for a few days. They were never taken on walks, the only exercise they got was running in the small yard. All I ever herd from this friend was complaints about her dogs. Finally, another friend I have has a severely overweight malamute GSD mix and a black lab border collie cross. Both live in an outdoor pen with no shade exept the small dog house. She goes away for the summer and has the neighbors feed and water them all summer when she is gone. They get no attention. The malamute gsd mix limps on a front leg, and lays in a hole he dug panting all day. Neither are trained. I just dont understand why people have dogs if they are going to treat them like this. What bothers me more is there are hundreds of people like this out there. I am just glad that we have a community of good dog owners on here who love and care for their pets.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 3:18 pm

Senior Dogs > do you believe in the rainbow bridge?

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '11 8:25pm PST 
I definitely believe that animals go to heaven.

Like some of you who had similar experiences, in my confirmation class, the pastor told us that animals have no souls. I asked him for a reference, and all he could tell me was that the reason he believed it was because it said nowhere in the bible if animals did or did not have souls, so that was his assumption. I believe that because god gave us animals to use, care and love, they will definitely be in heaven. Also, I believe god must also have a fondness for the animals, because he uses them so much in his teachings ( Lambs, Lions, Doves, etc.)

" If having a soul means to be able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are much better off than quite a few humans" - James Herriot
[notify]
» There has since been 55 posts. Last posting by , Jul 22 9:39 am

Dog Health > Trigger has Lymes disease :(

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Mon Jun 27, '11 4:54pm PST 
sorry to hear about the Lymes disease frown Drover had limes when he was a little puppy, and one day he just wouldent get up so we brought him in and the vet gave us some antibiotics. He was walking again in just a week! Different doggs respond differently to lymes, and it seems as though Trigger is reacting to it well. Drover is now 2 years old and as happy as can be! I am sure trigger will do well. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 27 4:54 pm

Raw Food Diet > \"you\'re obsessed with feeding dead things to the dog!\"

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Tue May 24, '11 3:39pm PST 
people can be very frusterating.
I was once told by a friend that I was cruel for raising butcher chickens (I raise them free range, much better than the poor commercial broilers get) and my friend was EATING A CHICKEN SANDWICH as he told me that...laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , May 25 7:51 pm

(Page 1 of 38: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.