Postings by Lucy's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Dogster Railroad > May need assistance CT to ME
Bo

the nose knows

Barked: Sun Apr 18, '10 9:03am PST 
Just saw this too. I am located right in the middle of the route in Ma. but head up to Maine fairly often. Do not have a large vehicle but could do one maybe two dogs with what I have. I have one crate. Let me know If I can help in any way.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bo, Apr 18 9:03 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Adopting sight unseen
Lucy

You've got some- 'splainin to do!

Barked: Thu Feb 18, '10 4:58pm PST 
I've adopted 2 dogs from the south. Both sight unseen, although there were a few health issues with both dogs. One I knew about, the other I didn't but we were able to nurse both dogs into probably the best shape/health they have ever been in. Both dogs are the sweetest most affectionate dogs I've ever had. I don't regret doing it for a split second but it does feel risky when you are going through it.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Feb 18 4:58 pm

Basset Hound > what makes a good basset breeder?

Bo

the nose knows

Barked: Sat Jan 23, '10 1:12pm PST 
Hi
I can't really answer specifically what makes a good breeder. I adopted my basset from a rescue. I do know that bassets are prone to some health issues. My guy was diagnosed with glaucoma (can be common in bassets)before he came to us. Shortly after he arrived, he went completely blind and then had to have a double enucleation (eye removal) to end the pain he was in. So if you are going to get a dog from a breeder than you definitely want to check for that.
I know there are sites and message boards that are specifically for basset owners. thedailydrool.com is one that I sometimes look at to get info about my basset. I recently read something on there about breeders in the northeast that someone was recommending. As you probably already know there are alot of great bassets in rescue but then of course you don't know their background.

Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bo, Jan 23 1:12 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Ramone! Chihuahua mix tripawd. :)

Lucy

Barked: Sun Jan 3, '10 7:33am PST 
That was such a beautiful story. Isn't it amazing how dogs just know when their people are down? I recently lost my oldest and dearest friend to cancer. For days after I just sat and cried but my puppy Lucy sat with me and licked away my tears. She really made me feel better when no one else could.
Good for you for giving Ramone a chance when no one else would. He sounds wonderful. We recently adopted a second dog, Bo. He was diagnosed with glaucoma before he came to us and partially blind. His prognosis wasn't good either. Expensive meds and most likely complete blindness...but we took him and yes he has lost his vision but it doesn't matter he is the sweetest old guy. We just love him and can't imagine life without him.
Are you still in Boston? I live in MA. What do you think of all this snow!!! Good luck
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ramone PSD, Jan 6 8:18 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > is adopting a second dog right?

Bo

the nose knows

Barked: Fri Jan 1, '10 6:31am PST 
We just adopted a second dog. Best thing I ever did. Of course it's twice as expensive but if you think you can swing it financially than go for it. That is really the only drawback to having two. When we took in Bo we sort of "fostered to adopt". We wanted to be sure we could handle two dogs, especially one with special needs (Bo is blind), before commiting to it. It's true that alot of vets and stores give discounts to people who adopt their animals from rescues and shelters. I love having two dogs and wouldn't mind having another.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Peaches ♥, Jan 4 4:11 pm

Behavior & Training > Blind and Deaf - help!
Lucy

Barked: Fri Dec 25, '09 4:28pm PST 
We have a dog that went blind a few weeks ago due to glaucoma. I just got a great book called Living with Blind Dogs that I think has a small chapter on dogs that are blind and deaf. Lots of good ideas in it. You just have to make use of your dogs other senses such as scent and touch.
Good luck
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Dec 25 4:28 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Benefits of an older/senior dog...NOT TRUE!

Lucy

Barked: Sun Nov 29, '09 6:43am PST 
Owning a dog, whether a puppy or a senior, is alot of work and a huge commitment. You have to realize that when you take in an animal. Of course an older dog can come with "baggage". I mean think about it. It's been given up, lost or abandoned,and then left in a shelter. Who knows what it's life was like prior to all this! After it's adopted(hopefully) it 's put into a completely different situation with total strangers. STRESS!! And just like humans, as a dog gets older there are of course health problems to deal with.
Adopting an older dog is not for everyone but for those of us who have chosen to take in a senior the benefits and love we get in return are immesurable. In the last year I've adopted 2 dogs. A puppy and a 5yr old that is going blind with glaucoma (which I knew about when I took him in). He is the most gentle, sweet, loving dog I think I've ever had. Yes, his meds. cost a fortune, yes he's had a few accidents in the house and yes,sadly, his time with us might be shorter but we love him. Although I also love our little Lucy with all my heart, I don't think I'll ever get a puppy again. It seems like so much more work to me. I like the old ones!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Dec 6 6:06 am

Behavior & Training > new dog marking in house

Lucy

Barked: Wed Nov 18, '09 2:05pm PST 
We just adopted a 5 yr old nuetered male dog. When I am at work he stays with my other dog in the kitchen and is generally fine (except for the occasional knocked over trash can
A few times however he has managed to get out of the kitchen and when he does he marks all over the house! I've already had 2 rugs and one couch professionally cleaned and he did it again today. This is not because he has to go out-I come home every day on my lunch break and take both dogs out-this is definitely marking! I haven't been able to catch him in the act because he only does it when I'm out. I don't know what to do. I've always had male dogs (althought the other dog we have now is a spayed female) and never really had trouble with marking. I know this has to do with him being new and marking his territory but it is really getting to be gross. Ideas?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Nov 18 2:05 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > I don't know what to do...

Lucy

Barked: Sun Nov 15, '09 5:44am PST 
What a great idea Shane! It's really unfortunate and unfair that your parents are basically putting this on your shoulders. This really is their responsibility not yours. That being said would you be ok knowing that the dog (s) were in a rescue or shelter if you didn't take them?
I am adopting a dog with some $$$ health issues. My head has told me not to get involved from day one but my heart says otherwise. I'm following my heart. Most days it's fine but others, like when I'm running to the vet-again- or picking up one of his expensive medications, I ask myself why in the world would I do this. it would be so much easier if I didn't. But then i come home and he greets me at the door or snuggles up with me on the couch and I know it's the right thing. He needs us and we love him plain and simple. Sometimes the right thing isn't what we want or planned on, it's also usually not the easiest either but it's what really needs to happen.
Good luck. Your parents are very lucky to have you. It's unfortunate that they are taking advantage of you like this.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Joey, Nov 20 5:00 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Wish I could get him
Lucy

Barked: Tue Nov 10, '09 12:56pm PST 
Hi
Are there any rescues in his area for that particular breed that would take him and foster him until you could take him? Alot of times the rescue can help set up some type of transport. Sometimes shelters/rescues wont adopt out of state but you can call or emai to find this out. Both my dogs came to me from great distances. I am in MA. One came from TX and one from Kentucky. If there's a will there may be a way.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 12 8:45 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.