Postings by Java's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Finding a pet friendly apartment when you have 1 dog and want to adopt a 2nd?
Java

When in doubt,- sit and be cute.

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 8:44am PST 
not sure where you're going but usually the online apartment searches allow in ADVANCED settings to search for specific property types, primarily DOG FRIENDLY and then often their breed restrictions and such are noted or it narrows down the # of places you have to call. My place has a 2 pet max, no size restrictions, but breed restrictions, for example. I found it using online searches. There's a pet deposit, and a monthly charge per pet so if I got a 2nd pet, I'd have to pay 2x that monthly charge and the pet deposit is non refundable but the security deposit is... keep this in mind, there may be more up front fees for having a pet or more.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Java, May 30 8:44 am

Dog of the Day & Week > Thanks that was a PAWSOME surprise!
Java

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 8:37am PST 
I was dog of the day yesterday, totally unexpected and totally fun! Thanks everyone!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rocky, May 31 3:03 pm

Local Tips, Playdates & Meetups > Anybody go to the Lakewood dog park in Ohio?

Java

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 8:36am PST 
Bow Wow beach is nice, lot of fun for a non-reactive dog. Haven't been to the one in Lakewood. I usually go to Brunswick Dog Park when there's tons of snow and most people are not out or using the park. Java is 'good' with her pack, so we go play there most times. SOMETIMES we let her off leash for a few mins at Brunswick Lake IF there's no one around to be bothered by her.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Java, May 30 8:36 am

Local Tips, Playdates & Meetups > Excercising your dog in COLD weather!

Java

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 9:12am PST 
me and my BFF go to the dog park cuz it's too cold for most people and we have the WHOLE PARK to ourselves!! I'm rather introverted and don't like other pups in my business, so if more pups show up, we go to the 'small dog section' cuz NO SMALL dogs are there for sure!! Snow's too deep!

we still go on walks and mom just bought some mushers for my cushies. The salt burns so bad!! I have more problems with that than the cold and snow.. we have too much fun in the snow
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ares, Jan 5 8:17 pm

Food & Nutrition > What size antler and where to buy?

Java

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 4:07am PST 
oh wow good to know about King Wholesale cuz my mom buys my antlers locally and they are $19 for about a 10in antler... they last a LONG time
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lenny, Nov 28 9:34 pm

Behavior & Training > Reactive? Fearful? Or Aggressive? What Next?
Java

Barked: Mon Oct 24, '11 9:28am PST 
Java does the same thing, I believe she is fear reactive and not aggressive (primarily with people but there are a few dogs that set her off into Cujo mode)

Redirection is the ONLY thing that works for me. I try to pre-empt as I know what dogs and people set her off and the threshold distance is getting less and less. Once I get her to that distance, I can get her to sit and look at me and sometimes take a treat. I do have to get alpha voiced on her -whereas normally I can speak to her and she does fine, the aggressively voiced short commands and redirection (ok sometimes drag off LOL) to that distance is the only way I can break that fixation.

I also have found that it has made a HUGE difference if we are on walks and there are other dogs/people approaching that she doesn't know, if I put myself between her and them and keep her leash tight so she is right at my side, it apparently means in dog language "I got this" and it has significantly reduced the leash straining. It's not fool proof as there are times I'm not on top of my game with this but those are little things I found really work for her.
[notify]
» There has since been 47 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Oct 28 12:56 pm

Behavior & Training > im at a loss. my dog is growling and the trainer wants more money then i have

Java

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 12:39pm PST 
as an owner of a reactive dog, I can definitively say that treats = good things. Your bf needs to gain your dog's trust and the only way to do that is with a lot of work. But you BOTH have to be committed and it sounds perhaps like you want instant cure because there is a lot of great advice on this thread. You don't need to spend a lot of $ on trainers, just take the time to be patient, understand the dog's signals and respect them and treat and interact and gain his trust!!!

With Java, when I moved into an apartment, I couldn't get ANYONE to come in without her going insane. So, I got a friend who wanted to help. I had her go to neutral territory (a picnic table) and armed her with a bag of chicken. I then got Java and we approached until I saw Java getting upset. Then we stopped, treat treat treat after an hour, we were sitting together on the picnic table conversing and Java laid down... long story short, we did this an hour each time getting closer and closer to the apartment, then the patio, the FINALLY inside the apartment. I kept Java on her leash and my friend would mill about and ANY time she moved, treat treat treat...

Now I'm up to two friends that can be in the apartment with no drama and chaos. The 2nd friend took ONE visit, because Java is learning visitors = good things = treats like bacon and chicken

BUT when she gave warning signals, session was over.

It takes time.

My first friend can now walk Java without incident and Java listens to her very well. She also listens to the 2nd friend now and the 2nd friend is going to start walking and treating her soon too...

it's worth the effort BUT YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IT WILL WORK TOO

there's studies about attitudes and pheromones and dogs sensitivity to both... something else to keep in mind just from the way you're posting... not criticizing you at all. There's a LOT to learn.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Aug 10 8:23 am

Behavior & Training > treat-dispensing toys and food aggression

Java

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 4:23am PST 
When Java and I were with Monkey, I bought two of everything AND MONITORED THEM while they played with treat dispensing toys. They knew it was unacceptable to fight or "go Cujo" and 95% of the time, they actually would decide to 'trade' (they did this with bullysticks too!) But that 5% where one wanted to swap and the other didn't and the first one got pushy, yea there would be incidents. And forget pig ears and things like that, they were about 7mos old, and that was an immediate fail!

Obviously now that it's just me and Java (Monkey is fine, just with his mom elsewhere) I have to be extra careful because I have gotten lax in picking up toys and chewies since it's just us. We had a bit of a row a few days ago when Java's friend came over and the friend just went to check out the Linkables (I got the bones and the food picked up but forgot the Linkables!!!) It just ended as quick as it started with a growling snarl and I removed the toy but the energy was shot for the play session.

Even though Monkey and Java were 95% "good" and played nice, any time there's something high value like that, they each get their own AND a human is always in the room and on alert.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Yoopie (U.P.), Aug 8 7:15 pm

Behavior & Training > Ugh, setback? how to proceed?

Java

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 11:30am PST 
well maybe it's cuz when I circle Java like that I say "ok swing your partner 'round and 'round" maybe that's really why people stare... dancingbig laugh

The chow reminder as well as reminder about her age with such behaviours does help as well as the info about enclosed spaces... this is good stuff to remember.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Java, Aug 2 11:30 am

Behavior & Training > Ugh, setback? how to proceed?
Java

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 4:52am PST 
Thanks, Cain! Oddly, I kind of came to that determination on my own when Java was fixating on a bunch of raccoons in the dumpster a month or so ago. I couldn't get her to look at me, so I just slid the leash closer (without tugging or yanking) and just walked in front of her, bumping her face with my thigh and turning her to a different direction. It worked so I actually keep doing that with passersby on the sidewalk and bunnehs and kitties if I see her get too focused and the initial call of her name doesn't work or if she digs her paws in to not move. I probably look like an idiot, sometimes I have to circle this way 2-3 times but it DOES work and it's a lot less stress. And it seems to break the fixation.

So when someone else's little yapper is all freaking out (sometimes Java is calm until the passing dog freaks out) and I sense Java is going to react or start to pull, I just do the circle around like that, nudge her face and we 'swing wide' if on the sidewalk or change direction.

hamster dance did it without knowing what it was!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Java, Aug 2 11:30 am

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.