Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Dog Laws & Legislation > POTP needed for Amanda Bines' pomeranian, disgusting...
DandiLion

:D

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 7:09pm PST 
"Yes, people should make healthy choices, but it's irrelevant to the topic at hand and offensive to bring it up."

Exactly this.

What it comes across as is you're blaming this kid for being mentally ill. Blaming ANYONE for being mentally ill is ridiculous, offensive and downright stupid. You can't tell someone 'you should have made better choices, you wouldn't be facing a life time of struggling with a mental illness if you made better choices as a kid and young adult'.

Does that really make any sense?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 6:31 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > POTP needed for Amanda Bines' pomeranian, disgusting...
DandiLion

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 9:16pm PST 
I don't think you guys understand how mental illnesses work. You aren't just going to develop a mental illness because you're in a stressful environment. Yes it can make things already there worse, but whether they were a celebrity or not, they probably would have developed the same mental illness.

Because mental illness isn't about being a celebrity. It's about being sick. That's like saying 'oh that celebrity is just physically sick for attention. they should have made better life choices.' No. That isn't how it works.

The amount of ignorance and stigma on this forum is disgusting.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 6:31 am

DandiLion

Barked: Fri Aug 2, '13 2:34am PST 
My response was directed toward the OP, not anyone else in the thread. I apologize for not making that clearer.
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 6:31 am

DandiLion

Barked: Thu Aug 1, '13 2:57pm PST 
Being mentally ill does not mean she shouldn't get her dog back. It's important to understand that she was having a psychotic break and was most likely in a state of psychosis. She did not know what she was doing and though that doesn't excuse her behavior, she is taking responsibility and getting psychiatric help.

It's unfortunate that the dog was involved, and it's unfortunate that things had to get this bad before she got help, but one of the reasons things get this bad before people get help is because of the stigma around mental illness. Because of posts like this on the internet, bashing people who are mentally ill. Saying what they should or should not do, saying how awful they are because of the things they have no control over.

This entire matter should not be a media circus; this young girl is dealing with a very serious illness and she should be allowed some amount of privacy.

I for one DO hope she gets her dog back. I hope she gets to a point of stability that she can care for the dog and herself.

She is not a bad person, and if you think she is because she has a mental illness that was undiagnosed, then you are part of the reason so many people go undiagnosed and you should be ashamed of yourself for that.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 6:31 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > How to handle dog attack and witnessing dog being beaten?

DandiLion

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 10:35am PST 
I think it's incredibly important to report any aggressive animals. Your dog survived this attack but what about the next one? Considering how the owner reacted, I'm sure we can all agree that there will be a next one.

If this isn't the dogs first offence, it may be put to sleep. If you can, I'd fight for it to either be PTS or surrendered. I'd rather see a single dog lose it's life than hear of it attacking and killing another dog knowing I could have prevented it.

It's a sad situation, but it could get so much worse if it's not dealt with appropriately.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 7 10:35 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Is there anything i can do? Prong collars for basic obedience
DandiLion

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 10:17am PST 
I'm not sure if this is an appropriate thing to recommend, but perhaps post a note on your local CraigsList about their training methods? At least owners would be warned before bringing their pups in for that sort of abuse.

I think actually restricting breathing until an animal passes out would be considered cruelty/abuse. I can't see something like that being legal.

I use a prong on Dandi for walks. When the prong comes out she gets incredibly excited. No dog should fear a training tool; if they do, that tool is being abused.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jun 3 3:57 am

Behavior & Training > Small changes in routine make Dandi super anxious.

DandiLion

Barked: Tue Oct 18, '11 6:59pm PST 
I was watching her yesterday when the mail came later than usual. She was doing her usual barking at the door because she can hear the mailman coming in, but she didn't stop when mum told her to. She was panting, and her eyes were really wide, and she was trying desperately to get mum to look out the door. Sort of a 'make sure it's okay' thing.

As soon as mum opened the door and grabbed the mail she was fine.

I've noticed this about her; how the smallest changes in her routine can make her so anxious. If we run to the store after work instead of coming straight home, she barks as soon as she hears the gate. Usually she's silent till we get inside. It's just those sort of little things.

It can't be very fun for her to feel that anxious, and I'm wondering, is there anything we can do to help her be okay with changes in her routine? A way to show her that just because something is different, doesn't mean it's bad?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 18 6:59 pm

Dog Health > Collapsed trachea in larger dog?

DandiLion

Barked: Mon Aug 29, '11 5:27pm PST 
She does have a martingale, but I can still fit a finger in when it's at it's tightest. I'll double check to make sure it's loose enough.

She hasn't been walked a lot lately, so for the past few months the only time she's on a leash is potty breaks. She goes out on a 30ft lead in our small yard and only pulls when she comes back inside and wants to gogogo before the leash is off, which is when she's doing the cough/gag thing.

I'll check and see how much x-rays will be. Thankfully this is all coming up after I've had quite a few extras hours at work.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 29 6:05 pm

Dog Health > Collapsed trachea in larger dog?

DandiLion

Barked: Mon Aug 29, '11 5:09pm PST 
Is this only something that can affect small dogs?

Mum just informed me that the last little while, whenever Dandi pulls on her leash at all she coughs/gags. She's had breathing issues in the past - she's always had reverse sneezing, and pulling too hard will make her cough. The vets have never thought anything of it. But with it getting worse, I'm getting concerned.

Is there anything else that can cause her coughing like this?
I get paid friday, so she's going to the vet next week (I work Friday and the weekend). Is there anything I should talk to the vet about?

Her past breathing issues are the main reason I've chosen not to spay her, but I was planning to get it done after this heat cycle (she just started bleeding threeish days ago) because last time she developed milk after her heat. But now I'm really not sure. Depending on what's causing this, can it make routine surgeries more risky?

She's still just a baby frown Much too young for this.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Aug 29 6:05 pm

Food & Nutrition > Fruit Peels?
DandiLion

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 7:16pm PST 
This is going to sound like a silly question silenced

I just got these fruit sorbet things that come in 'natural fruit bowls'. One of the comes in a pineapple shell, and one in a coconut shell. I'm wondering if Dandi can be given them to play with and chew on? After all the tasty sorbet is eaten of course. There's also one in an orange shell and a lemon shell but I can't see her liking those ones laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 16 10:41 pm

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.