Postings by Canela, PAWS's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  

Dog Health > I THINK PIPIN DEFINATELY HAS INTERVERTIBRAL DISC DISEASE
Snapdraggon'- s Sasaki- Aka, PAWS

Small but- Mighty!

Barked: Wed Jul 23, '08 9:43am PST 
Have you tried accupuncture and holistic supplements? On April 28, 2008, I was unable to walk due to a bulging disc between L1 and L2. It was so bad, my back legs were frozen and crossed over. One vet wanted to put me down. Another wanted to do a very expensive operation. Mommy found a vet that was willing to think outside of the box. We were referred to this amazing holistic vet. She put me on herbal and vitamin supplements, exercises, and accupuncture. After my first accupuncture treatment, I stood on all four legs. By the second treatment, I took my first steps. Now, I can run, play, scratch my head with my hind legs, etc. If you saw me now, you wouldn't even know I was only able to scoot on my rear a few months ago. When the referring vet saw me a few weeks ago, she started to cry. She calls me a miracle pup! Mommy believes that all things happen for a reason. So Mommy and I tell my story, hoping it will bring comfort and possible recovery for others.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by pippin BROWN, Jul 24 9:07 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Were You a Rescue Dog? Post your storys!
Coco Chanel,- PAWS

California Puppy- Girl

Barked: Fri Jul 18, '08 10:56am PST 
I too am a rescue pup. In my case, Mommy and Daddy know my history. I was born to a breeder (not puppy mill) in Palmdale, CA in December, 1995. I was purchased by my Mommy's sister and her family. They really never should have gotten a Chow pup! First of all, they already had a female Chow who was Alpha like me. The fights were legendary. I was really walked and spent most of my time in the backyard. After five years, the first Chow and I got into such a bad fight, she landed in the hospital. My original family decided it was time for me to depart for the shelter despite my new Mommy's pleas that I be surrounded to Chow rescue. My new Mommy knew the chances of my being adopted were nil and my chances of being put down big! When my current Mommy heard I was in the shelter, she drove two hours to get me. The shelter didn't want to give me to her. So, with Daddy's blessings, she made a very large donation to the shelter! Interesting how quickly I was sprung loose after the check was written. Mommy has a very nice letter from the LA County Supervisors. I've with Mommy and Daddy ever since.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Cashmere , Jul 30 3:51 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Were You a Rescue Dog? Post your storys!

Canela, PAWS

I can't help it!- I'm gorgeous!

Barked: Fri Jul 18, '08 10:49am PST 
I was rescued on July 14, 2000 in Paramount, CA. At that time, Mommy was an assistant prinicpal of a large urban school that was year round. The custodian found me wandering on campus. He locked me up in the boiler room. He got Mommy because she's always rescuing. She was shocked to find a pure bred Pekingese in an area where Pit Bulls and Rotts are the norm. I looked like I had been on the streets for awhile. Despite signs, etc., no one ever claimed me. I've been living with Mommy and Daddy ever since. Mommy's theory is that I was dognapped and somehow I got away. Daddy's theory is that I belonged to an elderly person who died. The person's relatives dumped me on the streets rather than take me to a shelter. Either way, I'm not telling! wink
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Cashmere , Jul 30 3:51 pm

Puppy Place > I am getting spayed Friday and I need a hug

Canela, PAWS

I can't help it!- I'm gorgeous!

Barked: Wed Jul 2, '08 11:02am PST 
hug Mia hug You're going to be fine! Hang in there!
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Abby NPC ~ CGC, TDI, Jul 7 6:54 am

Dog Health > Dog advice from children (puzzled) Don't know where to post

Coco Chanel,- PAWS

California Puppy- Girl

Barked: Wed Jul 2, '08 11:01am PST 
As an educator with over 25 years of experience, I would like to speak out on behalf of our young people. Please don't underestimate their intelligence and resources. Many young people are articulate, well-informed, and helpful. I take any advice from the Internet with a grain of salt. Each person needs to consider all information in order to make a decision regarding one's pets. I just want to say that the young people I have meet here on Dogster are wonderful! You guys rock!applause
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by Niles - RIP, Jul 2 12:29 pm

Behavior & Training > Cesar Millan Rant - The truth about dominance
Coco Chanel,- PAWS

California Puppy- Girl

Barked: Tue Jun 10, '08 10:47pm PST 
Indy, I want to clarify that when I said I didn't see anything remotely considering abuse, I was specifically talking about my real life experience watching Cesar work with dogs up close and personal. Living in Los Angeles with lots of friends in the Industy, I take what I watch on TV or in movies as entertainment. I am well aware how time can be distorted in filming and how the camera shows what they want to show. My opinions are based on actual interactions with Cesar, rescue groups, and people who are clients of Cesar. After spending nearly a day with him, believe me, I was impressed by his techniques. For Cesar fans, Daddy is such a sweetheart when you meet him. He loves having his belly rubbed. The first thing he did for us was rolling onto his back! He is a true ambassador for his breed. Also, if you remember Nunu the insane Chi Chi in Season One, I've met him too. He has become one changed dog. His owner walks him TWO HOURS each day. He was also one of the dogs used as a role model besides Daddy the day we meet Cesar. He showed no sign of aggression towards us during the time we spent with his owner. And, yes, his owner is now working for Cesar. You should see her handling pups!
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by , Jun 16 5:34 am

Behavior & Training > Cesar Millan Rant - The truth about dominance

Coco Chanel,- PAWS

California Puppy- Girl

Barked: Sun Jun 8, '08 8:41pm PST 
Have any of you actually met or seen Cesar work with dogs, other than on TV? My husband and I had the honor of seeing Cesar work with several dogs in person. This is a person who genuinely loves and cares about dogs. I did not witness anything that remotely can be called abuse. We also had the opportunity to meet with people and groups who have worked with him. We've met people who have tried numerous of behavior training techniques before getting Cesar involved. We know that one of his assistants is working with a family whose Bullmastiff is completely out of control. Before beginning rehabilitation, he was so out of control that one of the trainers they hired actually threw a chair at that poor dog! TV is misleading, though. The problems are not resolved in a couple of quick sessions. They can take days and weeks to resolve. The Bullmastiff is a case in point. Although there has been marked improvement in the behavior after a month, there is still work that needs to be done with this big boy. Cesar will also be the first to tell you not to try any of his techniques without consulting a professional. You do need to work with someone trained in his methods one to one in order to do what he does with aggressive dogs. Anyone who tries to work with such a dog without training and guidance from a professional is, frankly, a fool. Sorry.
[notify]
» There has since been 71 posts. Last posting by , Jun 16 5:34 am

Dog Health > It's a Miracle!

Snapdraggon'- s Sasaki- Aka, PAWS

Small but- Mighty!

Barked: Thu Jun 5, '08 9:15pm PST 
On April 28, 2008, my disk began to bulge. I couldn't walk and was in a great deal of pain. First vet we saw wanted to put me down. The second wanted to do a very expensive surgery. Mommy looked and looked for a third opinion. We were recommended to this lady vet. Although she felt that surgery would be the first choice, she was willing to work with Mommy on alternative means. She refered us out to a very well known acupuncturist here in LA. When I came to the acupuncturist, I couldn't walk and my hind legs were crossing over despite crate rest and heavy duty meds. Besides acupuncture, I began to take B vitamins, joint supplements, two different Chinese herbs and Omega Three Fatty Acids in my food. Four days after my first acupunture treatment, I stood up on all four paws. I took my first hesitant steps around the house. Three days later, I had my second accupuncture treatment. The improvement was immediate. I began to walk, wobbly at first. I went to my new primary vet the next day. I walked on leash into and out of the doctor's office. One tech took a look at me walking and screamed, "Thank you, Jesus!" On Monday, I tried out running and doing my happy dance at dinner time. Last night, my pawrents saw my back leg scratch my head. I have not taken a pain medication or muscle relaxer since I started Acupuncture. My pawrents call me a miracle. I can't wait to see what I can do after three acupuncture sessions!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Levi, PAWS-My Guardian Angel, Jun 6 11:05 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Why I am going to PURCHASE my next dog...(big fat rant)

Coco Chanel,- PAWS

California Puppy- Girl

Barked: Sat May 31, '08 11:22pm PST 
I personally have no issues with signing a reasonable contract. However, demanding changes to your own home, such as thousands of dollars worth of balcony railings (and their approved one only) is ridiculous after "passing" the "exam," as well as giving references! If you are able to prove that you're a responsible and knowledgable pet owner, you should not have to jump so many hoops. My heart goes out to the little kitty we wanted to adopt. I doubt he's found his furever home. I don't think anyone would have been good enough for these people. Sorry, but if you put so many conditions to an adoption, something is seriously wrong with you. Obviously finding the right home is not a priority. I don't mean to offend anyone but I still harbor some very angry feelings about the rescue group we tried to adopt from.
[notify]
» There has since been -8 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jun 3 12:46 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Why I am going to PURCHASE my next dog...(big fat rant)
Coco Chanel,- PAWS

California Puppy- Girl

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 10:00pm PST 
Daisy, I am not upset with you or anyone on this thread. You asked a clarifying question, which I was happy to respond. Everyone needs to understand that when you lose the one to one portion of communication, things can be misunderstood. Therefore asking questions is important when conversing on the Internet. Intellectually, I understand that there are good and bad rescue groups. What happened to us touched a very sensitive nerve for me. I've never been able to have biological children. Although I have two beautiful stepdaughters, they already have a mother. My husband and I meet when I was about to turn forty. He already had two young children. It was our decision not to pursue adoption in order to concentrate on raising his children. Therefore, in many ways, my pets are my "children." So you can perhaps imagine how incredibly painful it was to me being rejected. Abby's Mom, thank you for coming to my defense. I read your story. I understand your anger. Don't leave Dogster. There is far more good here than bad. You need our support. From my own life experiences, I know that in order to heal from the hurt, you need the support and love of others. I extend my hand in friendship and support. I hope you'll accept it.
[notify]
» There has since been 56 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jun 3 12:46 pm

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.