Postings by Luka's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 441: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Ollivander's mom in hospital
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Fri Oct 1, '10 3:19pm PST 
Hi Pups,
Please remember it is against Dogster Guidlines to discuss the status of another member's account, which includes discussing why a page may have been kenneled.

Also, please remember that anypup can kennel another member's page if they believe the content is inappropriate - moderators and HQ rarely kennel pages. Once a page is kenneled it may take a day or two for the folks at HQ to review the page - they are simply swamped with so many things to do, they can't always get to it right away!

And on a personal note, I consider Ollie's mama a good friend, and have a great deal of respect and appreciation for her both for what she does on dogster and what she does out in the "real world". I am concerned for her and hope she is alright. Let's please keep this thread about sending her good vibes and hopes for a speedy recovery to good health, and not about speculating about why or what is going on with her dogster page.

Thank woo,
-Kiona
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Oct 3 10:19 am

Food & Nutrition > Eukanuba?
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Mon Sep 20, '10 11:10am PST 
Hi pups,
We are going to close this thread - Dogster and its moderators do the best job we can to keep these forums safe and friendly for everyone! Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, sometimes troublemakers find their way in to the forums. The proper action to take when you suspect someone is either being deceitful or trying to start an argument is to flag the post, or contact a moderator or HQ (or do both!).

However, calling someone a troll, hinting they are a troll, or posting about your suspicions about them on the forums is not appropriate. Doing so just generates more speculation, and often causes the sort of "drama" or attention-getting conversations the rabblerousers are looking for in the first place.

The best thing to do is flag and ignore posts outside of guidelines, or if the posts are within guidelines, respond in a respectful and helpful manner that does not feed in to any sort of attention-seeking behavior.

Wags and woos!
-Kiona
» There has since been 13.8 posts. Last posting by Kiona CGC, Sep 20 11:10 am

Food & Nutrition > Eukanuba?

Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Mon Sep 20, '10 11:07am PST 
Hi pups,
We are going to close this thread - Dogster and its moderators do the best job we can to keep these forums safe and friendly for everyone! Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, sometimes troublemakers find their way in to the forums. The proper action to take when you suspect someone is either being deceitful or trying to start an argument is to flag the post, or contact a moderator or HQ (or do both!).

However, calling someone a troll, hinting they are a troll, or posting about your suspicions about them on the forums is not appropriate. Doing so just generates more speculation, and often causes the sort of "drama" or attention-getting conversations the rabblerousers are looking for in the first place.

The best thing to do is flag and ignore posts outside of guidelines, or if the posts are within guidelines, respond in a respectful and helpful manner that does not feed in to any sort of attention-seeking behavior.

Wags and woos!
-Kiona
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kiona CGC, Sep 20 11:10 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Update on Attacked Puppy

Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Mon Sep 13, '10 2:38pm PST 
If Ontario is like much of the States, a small claims is a mediation proceeding. Meaning, one person files a claim against another person, and the person with the claim filed against them can agree the allegations are valid and simply pay up; or they can contest the allegations and request a hearing (the arbitration part); they contest the allegations, request a hearing, & and file a counter-claim; or they can request to have the matter heard before a jury and skip the small claims route all together. At the hearing, a mediator, almost always a lawyer, listens t both sides then tries to get the two parties to agree to a mutually agreeable solution. If they cannot agree, then the arbitrator makes a decision for them, given what evidence the parties presented in support of their position.

Point is, anyone can file a small claim against another person. Whether or not they ultimately succeed depends entirely on how the hearing goes, if they have one at all.

From what I understand (giving credit to fellow mod Cracker on this one!), in your area the liability laws state that if someone's dog does damage to another person or their property, the owner of the dog that did the damage is liable.

Now, what may factor in to all of this is that most times, in liability situations, the person being held liable can present evidence (at the small claims hearing, for instance) that the party claiming damage actually contributed to that damage, or didn't do something they could have done to prevent the damage from occurring.

It depends entirely on the laws of each specific region, but depending on the liability laws such negligent acts by the party claiming damage may result in them recovering less than they would had they done nothing "wrong", and in some rare cases absolve the other person (the one being held liable) entirely.

In this situation both sides will need to present their side of the story at the small claims hearing. Hope the puppy is recovering well!
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Sep 17 11:42 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > More proof of how difficult it is for the average joe to identify dog breeds

Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Mon Aug 30, '10 10:29pm PST 
When it comes to shelters...

I always suggest that folks who are concerned by a shelter mis-identifying breeds call up that shelter and offer to volunteer to give their time each week (each day, even) to come in and help identifying the possible breed-mix or breed of the dogs coming in to the shelter.

Most shelters are almost always overworked and don't always have the luxury (or experience) to carefully determine what breed a dog may be. Offering to help with something you see needs help is much more effective than just being irritated by it.

See a problem? Offer to be part of the solution. That is what is makes things change for the better.
wink
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Winnie Mae, Sep 9 8:34 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Restaurant Owner Knowingly and Proudly Breaks the Law!
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Tue Aug 17, '10 10:33pm PST 
Hi pups,
Dog mobbing has been discussed on these forums before, on this thread.

As far as I understand, and if I may quote you, Harley, the purpose of a dog mob is "...to peacefully, legally, and respectfully visit places who have denied access with the intent to educate."

It was said multiple times on the above thread, it is not meant to be a swarm of angry people "mobbing" a store that either doesn't know or willfully disregards the law.

The tone of this thread is not exactly in line with the above thread's comments, nor what I understand is the general purpose of a dog mob. Ollie made some wonderful points on that thread and really captures the sort of respectful way someone can be educated. As such, posts calling for physical actions taken against the owner, or that paint a "dog mob" in a negative, hostile connotation will be removed or edited.

I find this business owner's actions and words abhorrent, but doubt this is the sort of person that will be swayed by a "dog mob". If anything, it will lead to inevitable conflict, and what is the point of that? Sometimes, and in some cases, it makes more sense to let lawyers do the educating.

The business owner is a pig. And what happens when you fight with pigs? When you fight with pigs, EVERYONE gets dirty, but the pigs love it.
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Aug 28 3:22 pm

Raw Food Diet > Very Bad Experience With Raw

Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Mon Aug 16, '10 8:37pm PST 
Just a reminder to everypup about the raw forum:

"This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more."

Thanks pups!
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Kiona CGC, Aug 16 8:37 pm

Dogs & Travel > How to find a good dog boarding facility?

Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 12:01pm PST 
ETA: Hi all!

My dogster account has fleas and I am not able to post responses on some threads, this being one of them - so I have been reading, but just not able to respond! Until the fleas are fixed, though, I can't really respond except by editing my first post, bol!

I want to say THANK YOU so much for the advice and opinions - we really need a secure boarding place, and I think I have found one. We don't want to go the petsitter route for a variety of reasons, the main one being Luka. He is very scared and anxious in any new place, so travelling with him would not be enjoyable for him or us. He really only feels safe when I am with him and he is in a comfort zone area. He is ok home with Kiona and Indy when we are not there (like at work), but NOT ok even if we are home with him if there are strangers over.

We are going to keep researching places and visiting places and we'll let you know with what we decide. Thank woooo!

_____

Well, the time has finally come... my husband and I are going to be disowned by our families if we don't visit them soon. In the past, we lived in the same state as my in-laws so the dogs could visit with us, and when we visited my family we left our dogs with my in-laws. But now we live in Oregon, and need to find somewhere we can board the dogs while we are gone.

Last winter we tried to go away and left a carefully trained housesitter (a good friend of mine) - in one day Luka escaped out of the door and would not come back, we had to fly home after one night gone. We were very scared for our boy, but we got him back safely.

I don't share about it much but Luka is incredibly skittish - as in, strangers cannot touch him, or even get near him, without him running away. We are so scared of hime getting loose again, and he is even freaked out in the house when family members stay over. So, we are not comfortable getting a housesitter.

We need to find a secure boarding facility for them while we are gone. We know Kiona and Indy would do fine with a housesitter, or staying with trusted friends, but the fact of the matter is Luka is too skittish and shy to be safe in those sorts of situations. So, we need to find the safest, most comfortable facility to board them at together.

I have not boarded anyone since Kiona was a puppy, so I have NO idea what I should look for, and am really unsure and nervous about finding a place. So, I need help... we are willing to drive several hours in each direction for a good kennel, and rates are not a factor.

We know we want indoor/outdoor runs where ideally, Kiona and Luka can be boarded together (they love each other), and Indy, too, if 3 the kennel is big enough. If not, we want them next to each other, but Kiona and Luka HAVE to be together.

We'd also really like places that have exercise runs for Indy and Kiona, but that are alright with leaving Luka in the kennel. We just don't want to risk it.

My questions:

Are boarding kennels supposed to be certified by anyone?

What should we look for in the kennel staff?

What sort of questions should I ask the facility?

What should I look for when we visit?

Is it pointless to try to find places with softer flooring than concrete?

Mainly, I want somewhere secure, safe, clean, comfortable, and as stress-free as possible for our babies.

Help please! I am so nervous about finding somewhere for my babies.

frown
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Buddy, Aug 14 2:05 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Mandatory spay/neuter before six months?

Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Sat Jul 31, '10 11:49am PST 
There are pros and cons to altering before 6 months, or after 1 year. I trust other community members will provide more details on what some of those pros and cons are, and provide them with the understanding that there is no definitive answer one way or another as to when it is best to speuter. So health benefits-wise, I really don't think you can you wrong with what you decide.

I personally urge folks to spay females before 6 months if they are not a large or giant breed. Your girls are not very big, so I'd get them spayed before they have their first heat, which can occur from 5+ months on.

Also, the potential ramifications of not following your local ordinances could have serious results for them if those ordinances are strictly enforced.

Lastly, I don't know why your neighbors are complaining, perhaps you can fill us in a little on that? Would spaying them do anything to address their concerns?
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Ella, Aug 6 4:54 pm

Behavior & Training > Is lure coursing good for other breeds too?
Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Wed Jul 28, '10 3:43pm PST 
Here is the kennel club that sponsors it in my area (Corvallis is about 20 minutes south of where I live in Salem): Chintimini Kennel Club - I'd make sure to check the local kennel clubs for lure coursing.

Here is a link of my friend's Siberian Andie lure coursing - impressive! Weeee!

And pardon me if this has been provided already, but here is a link to the AKC "event search" page - you can select "Lure Coursing" and your state and it will give you lure coursing events coming up. It doesn't exactly tell you where practices are, but it gives you an idea of who to contact to find out more - the breed club sponsoring an event will know where one can find practice runs. AKC Event Search.
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sierra, Jul 28 6:24 pm

(Page 1 of 441: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.