Postings by Herky (May 17, 2007 - June 8, 's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > How to find something cheaper without losing quality...
Kinnick

Big Lovable- Goof!

Barked: Thu Sep 16, '10 12:29pm PST 
Okay, so we are currently eating Innova EVO Turkey & Chicken big bites, which costs us $63 after tax for a 28 lb bag. That lasts around 3 weeks for both the doggies. That is getting to be a bit pricey on our current budget (price has gone up almost $10 around here since we started it about a year and a half ago).

I'd like to find something cheaper, but I don't want to sacrifice quality. Foods we've been on in the past include TOTW and Wellness Core. Both of those they ate fine for about 3-6 months, and then Kinnick would refuse to eat them after that. EVO they have both eaten happily and do great on, so I hate to switch them, but we are spending so much money right now! Any suggestions? I wasn't able to find EVO online cheaper (after shipping), and I can't do any kind of a rotation diet with Herky because he will get diarrhea. Thanks pups!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bama AKA "Buddybear', Sep 16 2:51 pm

Food & Nutrition > Adding more fiber to Innova Evo for anal glands
Herky (May- 17, 2007 - June 8,

Sweet Angel Pup,- Gone too Soon :(

Barked: Tue Dec 1, '09 7:34am PST 
Thanks for the input!

I wish Herky would eat baby carrots Daisy...but somewhere he got the idea that the best thing to do with carrots is shred them into tiny bits all over the carpet..BOL
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Herky (May 17, 2007 - June 8, , Dec 1 7:34 am

Food & Nutrition > Adding more fiber to Innova Evo for anal glands

Barked: Mon Nov 30, '09 5:15pm PST 
Well Herky just got his anal glands expressed again today...the vet suggested more fiber to help him express his anal glands on his own. His poops are already small and firm, and I am hesitant to switch foods because Herky and Kinnick have done so well on Innova Evo... I was thinking about adding some pumpkin to his food? I just wanted to get some opinions before I tried that. Any other suggestions?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Herky (May 17, 2007 - June 8, , Dec 1 7:34 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Funding for a Service Dog

Barked: Tue Jul 14, '09 1:32pm PST 
Hi all! I am seeking some advice and information about getting a service dog for a client I work with. After doing some research, I have found a great organization, Indiana Canine Assistant Network (ICAN), who trains and provides assistant service dogs to those with mobility issues. Compared to other organizations, the fees/fundraising requirements are much less, only $950. That may not seem like much to many, but to my client it is a huge obstacle. She has Medicare and Medicaid, but I was told these will not cover the expense of a service dog. After speaking to the staff at ICAN, they offered suggestions of fundraisers, but the problem is that my client is older, lives alone, and is physically disabled. In other words she cannot organize these fundraisers herself. I am hoping for suggestions and contact information for organizations that may offer financial support, grants, scholarships, or donations of any amount to help her out. Thanks so much for your help Dogsters!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Milo, CGC, Jul 16 4:06 am

Behavior & Training > Pet names for your pet..you know you have em ;)

Barked: Fri May 22, '09 9:34pm PST 
Herky: Puppy Boy, Herk, Herkster, Herkinator, Herky the Hawk (the mascot he was named after), Fluffy Butt, Special Boy (he's not that bright), Crazy, Herk-e-mon

Kinnick: Kinny, Sir, Big Boy, Big Goof, Drooler, Kenicke (from Grease since his name kinda sounds like it), Mr. Licker, Cuddle Butt

Kinnick Kinnick Bo Binnick, banana fana fo Finnick...Kinnick!! He loves that song! big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Duppy Conquerer ~*CGC*~, Jul 14 5:11 pm

Dog Health > Results of Allergy Test - Suggestions?
Kinnick

Big Lovable- Goof!

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 11:45am PST 
Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions!

We just bought a new vacuum (not a Dyson since those are out of our price range), but it does have HEPA filters in it. And we own a steam cleaner as well and generally clean the carpets thoroughly every couple of months, but we could do that more often as well. And we use the furminator a lot - so I generally don't notice any hair on the carpets for at least 3-5 days after vacuuming depending on the time of year, but I know that you can't see pollens or dust mites so I will definitely be trying to vacuum more often, but realistically it will probably only get done twice a week.

As far as the raw diet goes, it is definitely something that I support and think is a great idea, but logistically and financially we can't do it yet. We live in a townhouse with no room for a deep freeze, so storage of frozen meat/bones would be a major issue. We also do not have a fenced in yard, and I am the type that would want them to eat raw stuff outside (I know others do it indoors, but that is a personal preference of mine). I considered pre-made raw, but we just can't afford to feed a 95 lb Lab and a 65 lb Golden pre-made. We are currently feeding Innova EVO, which is very high quality grain-free.

I currently have the allergy covers on my own mattress and pillow, but where would I find a cover for Kinnick's pillow/bed? I made his bed myself, and the dimensions are approximately 40x55 inches.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Sassy, Dec 5 7:14 am

Dog Health > Results of Allergy Test - Suggestions?

Kinnick

Big Lovable- Goof!

Barked: Thu Apr 9, '09 8:47am PST 
Some of you might know that I have been having problems with allergies. My vet wanted me to try a food trial to see if it was a food allergy. That means that I only ate one kind of food (no other scraps or treats at all) for almost three whole months! Unfortunately, this didn't seem to help. Mom did notice that I seemed to be less itchy in Florida and at Dad's parents house in Iowa. Both of these houses are much newer than our townhouse and have a lot of hardwood floors (we have a lot of carpet at our house). This mad her think that it might be some kind of allergy like dust mites. The vet agreed, and she drew some of my blood a few weeks ago for an allergy test. We got the results back this week and here is what I am allergic to:

Three kinds of dust mites (including storage mites)
Flea saliva
Four kinds of grasses (two of which are the most common yard grasses in Indiana)
A weed called Yellow Dock

The vet gave lots of recommendations to reduce my allergy symptoms, but I am also going to start getting allergy shots. Luckily our pet insurance will help pay for the shots. Mom said she is also going to vacuum twice a week, and wash my bedding (and theirs too since I sometimes sleep in their bed) once a week. Our dog food bag is now in a rubbermaid storage container, because storage mites can live in open bags of dog food. Mom also ordered two air purifiers (one for the living room and one for the bedroom) which have HEPA filters to reduce dust mites and other allergens in the air. The vet also said that Herky and I should be on flea preventative year round to reduce the chance that I have any contact with fleas (we don't use it in the winter months right now).

Does anyone have any allergy shot experiences (good, bad, whatever) to share? Any other suggestions for minimizing allergens - especially the dust mites which are so hard to avoid.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Sassy, Dec 5 7:14 am

Food & Nutrition > Good Dog Food For Those On A Budget!

Kinnick

Big Lovable- Goof!

Barked: Tue Mar 31, '09 1:23pm PST 
Okay, we are in the process of switching foods right now. We have been eating TOTW High Prairie, but we have stopped eating it (we get bored...) So Mom is considering EVO and Solid Gold BATM. Since she was doing math anyway, she decided to calculate for the TOTW that we currently eat and some foods we used to eat (Natural Balance and Canidae ALS). Mom is more interested in cost per month for both of us total, since that's how she budgets, so that's what she calculated (please let us know if the math looks wrong). She was surprised to see that Natural Balance - not a super duper food in her opinion- was the most expensive!

Kinnick = 95/2.2 * 30 add 70 = 1365
Herky = 65/2.2 * 30 add 70 = 956

Total calories per day = 2321

Foods:

TOTW High Prairie = $43 for 30 lbs
Canidae ALS = $48 for 44 lbs
Natural Balance Fish & SP = $45 for 28 lbs
Innova EVO = $56 for 28.6 lbs
Solid Gold BATM = $62 for 33 lbs

TOTW = 1691 = $0.0008476/cal
Canidae = 1875 = $0.0005818/cal
Nat Bal = 1484 = $0.0010830/cal
EVO = 1929 = $0.0010151/cal
BATM = 1940 = $0.0009684/cal

TOTW = $1.97/day $59.02/month
Canidae = $1.35/day $40.51/month
Nat Bal = $2.51/day $75.40/month
EVO = $2.35/day $70.68/month
BATM = $2.24/day $67.43/month
[notify]
» There has since been 158 posts. Last posting by Dr. Watson, Feb 1 4:23 pm

Dog Health > Giardia, how did you deal?

Kinnick

Big Lovable- Goof!

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '09 2:36pm PST 
Oh man...this thread does not give me hope...I am on the fourth day of metro treatment for giardia. So far I have went from nonstop vomiting and diarrhea to no vomiting and reduced diarrhea, but I still do not want to eat anything. For the past week I have only eaten a few bites of food per day and I have even been turning down treats. Any tips for getting me to eat more?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 29 5:04 pm

Dog Health > Eye issues

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '09 10:20pm PST 
Those pictures do not look like conjunctivitis to me. It is the cornea itself that is cloudy, not the conjunctiva (white part) of the eye that is red. It could be an infection, but if it is, it is affecting the cornea as well. I would definitely agree to get a second opinion from an expert. How old is Dutchess?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Our Gang, Mar 19 7:30 am

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.